Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Sensor in rear for interior lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 02:30 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Sensor in rear for interior lights?

I don't know if this is a thing or not, as I've not been able to find any sort of connector/switch in the rear for it, but is there a sensor that trips if your rear hatch is open? You know, something that would get tell when you open the hatch and would turn on the interior lights so that you can see what you're grabbing for instead of fumbling around in the dark? They put one in both doors, you'd think they might install one in the hatch too, right? I'm hoping I'm wrong and mine is just busted, cause I feel like replacing that would be a lot easier than trying to wire in a random door sensor to the back to tell when the hatch is open
Old 12-27-2017, 03:58 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
There is a button/plunger for the dome lights, alarm trigger, and on 84-89 a "hatch ajar" warning light in the DIC. The plunger is about a 1/2" in diameter, just to the right of the latch. IIRC, there is a matching "probe" on the glass that pushes the plunger down when the glass is closed.

The switch on my 85 flew apart when the car was about 3 days old. I'm pretty sure the lights didn't stay on because I didn't fix it for a few weeks. All the guts and spring came out of it, so there was nothing making the required contact. Yours has probably done the same thing.
I haven't seen the button/plunger for dome lights yet, I know that if I move the dimmer switch all the way up, it'll click into place and all the interior lights will come on. The PO destroyed the back trim piece by drilling some screws with washers at points where the trim was cracking in order to hold it down and tried using hot glue to piece it back together, so I'm wondering if that little plunger is gonna be there still. Hopefully the rattling in the back is just all the pieces from the switch moving around, and I can fish them out nice and easy. I don't think I've been this excited to find and solve something with the car since I bought it back in April
Old 12-27-2017, 10:10 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

go to this thread look at post #3 it shows how the plunger meets the switch (The trim panel is removed in that picture).
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-position.html

Last edited by belairbrian; 12-27-2017 at 10:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JrRifleCoach (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 11:09 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

belairbrian gets it.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:13 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
The switch for the hatch in that pic looks like the same part as is used at the rear of the doors. If so, I think those switches are still available from the regular Corvette sources.

Its been so long since I worked on mine, I've never realized the 3 "ajar" switches are the same part. Thanks for the link.
Rear ajar is not the same as door ajar. The rear is the same for all years though.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:39 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by KenMathisHD
I haven't seen the button/plunger for dome lights yet, I know that if I move the dimmer switch all the way up, it'll click into place and all the interior lights will come on. The PO destroyed the back trim piece by drilling some screws with washers at points where the trim was cracking in order to hold it down and tried using hot glue to piece it back together, so I'm wondering if that little plunger is gonna be there still. Hopefully the rattling in the back is just all the pieces from the switch moving around, and I can fish them out nice and easy. I don't think I've been this excited to find and solve something with the car since I bought it back in April
You could open the hatch and look?

Get notified of new replies

To Sensor in rear for interior lights?

Quick Reply: Sensor in rear for interior lights?