C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Pulley sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Gatorlaw
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pulley sound?

After redoing the power steering pump and new hoses, there is no longer any noise from the power steering pump but it still sounds like it. At full stop in park there is no noise when turning the wheel to full lock in either direction. However when the car is put into gear it has that same power steering noise again. Wtf. What can this be? I tried belt dressing but that did nothing.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:48 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

You sure it's the pump? Is it an auto? Sounds like possibly torque converter if so. Have you had somebody put it in gear while you listen under the hood to verify where the noise is coming from? What is your idle speed at park and in gear at a stop? Does the noise go away when you drive after the rpm's go up?

Last edited by Natrlone93; 12-28-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:20 PM
Gatorlaw
Instructor

The noise is present at start up and idle until the car warms up. Then it goes away until the car is under load where it returns. However the trans fluid is clear and red and the tranny shifts beautifully.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:02 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

Originally Posted by Gatorlaw
The noise is present at start up and idle until the car warms up. Then it goes away until the car is under load where it returns. However the trans fluid is clear and red and the tranny shifts beautifully.

When you say under load do you mean when the motor is under load as in driving or the pump is under load as in turning the wheel? Was the trans fluid changed recently? Sometimes if the trans fluid is changed without changing the filter it can cause issue.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:16 PM
Gatorlaw
Instructor

Under load meaning when trans is shifted into drive. If I’m park i can move the steering wheel lock to lock with no noise. When i put the car into drive and press the gas, the noise returns. No recent fluid change, but did notice it was about a half a pint low (first time i added fluid and I’ve had it over a year).
Old 12-28-2017, 04:25 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

Originally Posted by Gatorlaw
Under load meaning when trans is shifted into drive. If I’m park i can move the steering wheel lock to lock with no noise. When i put the car into drive and press the gas, the noise returns. No recent fluid change, but did notice it was about a half a pint low (first time i added fluid and I’ve had it over a year).

Just guessing but the trans has a pump that moves the fluid from the pan around the trans. If previous owner did a fluid change and not filter and the filter is dirty it can starve the pump and make the noise you describe. The noise would increase when you accelerate. Sounds kind of like a power steering pump when the fluid is real low and you turn the wheel. I would take it to a trans shop and just let them listen to it. I could be way off base but it wouldn't hurt and they won't charge just to check it out a little.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Gatorlaw
Instructor

After getting a fresh perspective, i was able to locate the noise. It’s the smog pump. Do i ditch it or replace it? No emissions checks here so that’s not an issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Pulley sound?

Quick Reply: Pulley sound?