Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 value vs other 80's cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:48 AM
Gashousevette
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If the c3 turns out to be worth fixing back up and "driving", I'll do that trade. The 96, I'm still thinking on that. Theres a sweet 86 in rock hill I'd rather have over the 96....hes looking for a monte....just not mine!....lol....
Old 02-01-2018, 07:52 AM
Gashousevette
Instructor

I drove the monte to lumberton cpl. Sundays ago to look at a 82 collectors ed.that had been wreaked. It was almost put all the way back togather...just to much for me to do.....
Old 02-01-2018, 09:23 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
also.. that car is a lt4...
It looks like an LT1 to me. It has the aluminum color intake not red like the LT4. The fuel rail covers are red, but the LT1 and Lt4 are black when stock although the LT4 has red letters. The LT4 was never offered in an automatic. So it looks like an LT1 to me. What makes you think it is an LT4?

I know we got sidetracked in this thread, but I thought I would weigh in on the trade for a Corvette.

I had an '86 Monte Carlo SS (see picture below). It was completely stock and at about 55k miles a small screw came out of the carburetor choke linkage and got sucked into the engine. The motor was trashed, so I built a 355 and 700r4 for it. It ran pretty well and I liked the car. I had the stock Monte SS aluminum wheels (I still have them on my S10), but in this picture I had some ET slots with M&H Racemasters on it.

However, it is no comparison to a Corvette. They are just too different. I much prefer the Corvettes. I like the C4's. Although I like the C3's too, they are very different cars and I feel like the C4's are basically the first of the "modern" cars that have better performance and economy with computer engine controls (yes I know the late C3's had some limited computer controls and even had crossfire fuel injection) and much better handling in the C4.

If you are considering a Corvette, test drive several including different generations and see what you like.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
95tealconvert (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 10:18 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

id pass on the primered C4 you dont want a fixer. Wait and get a nice one
As said go drive some C4s dont let the fever get you. That monte is all there, if Ihad a few bux id offer to pick it up

Looks like its smog, some minor cosmetics away from a decent car you dont see often. out here you cant keep one in a driveway overnight without it getting stolen. thats a collectible car trust me.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Gashousevette
Instructor

Thanks man, at least somebody sees it.....i think i might seriously pass on the 96....even though i think its an ok vette...think guy just didn't like the red....idk...
the montes smog crap is gone, and no cats.
As far as the c3 w/o a title....if its in decent shape, i might trade even if its a project....my bud says he can get a title. Idk...
Old 02-01-2018, 10:47 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

what $ value do you have on the monte?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Gashousevette
Instructor

Id have to say 5500....
Old 02-01-2018, 12:02 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

you can get a hell of a lot nicer C4 than the one you posted look around some more.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:31 PM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

[QUOTE=QCVette;1596498410]
I had an '86 Monte Carlo SS (see picture below). It was completely stock and at about 55k miles a small screw came out of the carburetor choke linkage and got sucked into the engine. The motor was trashed, so I built a 355 and 700r4 for it. It ran pretty well and I liked the car. I had the stock Monte SS aluminum wheels (I still have them on my S10), but in this picture I had some ET slots with M&H Racemasters on it.

However, it is no comparison to a Corvette. They are just too different. I much prefer the Corvettes. I like the C4's. Although I like the C3's too, they are very different cars and I feel like the C4's are basically the first of the "modern" cars that have better performance and economy with computer engine controls (yes I know the late C3's had some limited computer controls and even had crossfire fuel injection) and much better handling in the C4.

I had a couple of El Caminos built on the same frame and suspension as your '86 Monte Carlo and tho I liked them very much they are no comparison to the C4. Most importantly the mid '80's Monte Carlos etc, were built on a frame from the 70's and the cars drove like it. Just spend a day at the track with both and you will quickly feel and see the differences. The C4 was just a big step forward when it came to cornering and drive ability not to mention styling.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:26 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
It looks like an LT1 to me. It has the aluminum color intake not red like the LT4. The fuel rail covers are red, but the LT1 and Lt4 are black when stock although the LT4 has red letters. The LT4 was never offered in an automatic. So it looks like an LT1 to me. What makes you think it is an LT4?
Sorry my error... lt1 not lt4.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:22 AM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
Non steel bumpered c3's are the next ones to skyrocket in price.. but price and value and my opinion should not be why you buy.. first and foremost you must LOVE your toy and buy one WITHIN YOUR FINANCIAL MEANS.... and then, you die one day

Life is weird man...
This is not likely to happen for a variety of reasons:
- Too many produced
- Very low performance
- Too difficult to restore (I know one top notch C1/2/3 restorer who will not touch them given that in original condition, that do not stay in tune given the emissions regulations of the time)

If anything, they are likely to go further down in value given that the generation that first drove them is less likely now to want them and they have not really made any inroads as a "classic".
Old 11-30-2019, 06:24 AM
Rob790
Advanced

Default C4 parts perceived to be expensive

Originally Posted by belairbrian
I think we may well have been our own worst enemy for years. Corvette owners tend to take meticulous care of their cars. That in turn keeps more on the road. Camaro, Mustang, etc tend to end up in the hands of teenagers and get beat to death. The result is fewer available and more people looking per car.

As for the muscle car, sports car debate, I put the Corvette in the sports car group, heck might even consider it a GT in the true sense of the term. Not a hopped up factory car with badges, but rather a car meant for a leisurely drive up a coast/mountain road.

One other factor I see is the perception that Corvettes are expensive to maintain. That perception alone runs away some buyers. Are they really that expensive I'm not so sure. Someone mentioned in another thread a $1200 bill for an opti/water pump replacement. That wouldn't cover the parts on a Mercedes E series shock replacement with the air ride system.
yes here in Canada I have a acquaintance who had a stone fly up and make a hole in his 17 Caddilac Escalade headlight. A new one was $2400.00 from the dealer, $1300.00 aftermarket and $900.00 for a used one he found.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:12 PM
dagwoodz28
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstC4
They made 20,000 GN's in 1987, but they continue to appreciate in value.

The IROC-Z and T/A F-body's from the 80's are also on the rise. I don't think any Vette from the 80's will get there (C3 or C4) in terms of desirability and collector status.

Yep, the 3rd gen IROC-Z's continue to go up in value. I was offered $16,000 for mine from a collector in North Carolina just a few months ago, and turned it down.

Mine is a 1990, G92 equipped 5 speed with the 230hp TPI 305, 4 wheel disc brakes, and 3.42 gears. It has 44k miles, and is all original. I love the thing!

Old 12-04-2019, 01:03 PM
89dd
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Part of the problem is how many have survived today not how many were manufactured back in the 70s or 80s, even the 90s. When new, many C4s were pampered pets. A few saw some DD use, but even those were well maintained. Almost all Buicks, Cameros and Monte Carlos were driven to work on day one of their owned life. Care to guess which cars saw snow tires first, Corvette or Buick? You know the answer.
So here we are 30 years later. Many of those pampered Corvettes are still pampered pets and those that aren't certainly haven't seen 30 years of hard labor. Many of those old Buicks are now showing up as washing machines or new Chevy Cruze having been recycled long ago. Many others are field cars. The few nice examples that remain of those vehicles are prized because they are so few. Not true for the Corvettes where there are just a ton of them still in good condition. Then you add that the C4 is a very well designed/ engineered vehicle that holds up very well. Add to that, there's only so many folks who have enough money to have a 2 seat toy to drive. It's not that these Corvettes aren't desired. It's just so easy to find one for the buyers that do exist.

Corvettes are generally better maintained than most other cars. Being made of fiberglass also helps.
Most cars form the 70's through the 90's have either rusted away or have been beaten to death and crushed. There are just not as many around.
My wife bought a new 91' Caviler Z24. Came with a V6, wider wheels, sport suspension,ground effects. Nice little car, quick and handled well.

I haven't seen one around in years.

Old 12-04-2019, 02:37 PM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Received 303 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 89dd

There is a reason. They were junk. My wife had one when I met her. Got rid of it ASAP lol
Old 12-04-2019, 02:41 PM
89dd
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyFox
There is a reason. They were junk. My wife had one when I met her. Got rid of it ASAP lol
​​​​​​My wife keep hers for about 5 or 6 years. Never gave us any trouble. Lucky I guess.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:51 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by 89dd

Corvettes are generally better maintained than most other cars. Being made of fiberglass also helps.
Most cars form the 70's through the 90's have either rusted away or have been beaten to death and crushed. There are just not as many around.
My wife bought a new 91' Caviler Z24. Came with a V6, wider wheels, sport suspension,ground effects. Nice little car, quick and handled well.

Not a 91, but an 86 with less than 30k original miles. I bought it from the 93 year old original owner. 4spd FTW.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:56 PM
dizmack
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
Not a 91, but an 86 with less than 30k original miles. I bought it from the 93 year old original owner. 4spd FTW.
Wow a manual! Dash is so Hasselhoff lol. I love it.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:24 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by dizmack
Wow a manual! Dash is so Hasselhoff lol. I love it.
If it was an auto I probably would have passed on it.

The following users liked this post:
dizmack (12-04-2019)

Quick Reply: C4 value vs other 80's cars