Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

what lock is needed for C4

Old 01-10-2018, 01:12 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Default what lock is needed for C4

Hi I am moving and want to park the corvette in front of a house, it wont be in gated parking anymore. What are people using for deterrent? I have a fake led/w switch and my alarm works fine.
Thanks

Old 01-10-2018, 03:51 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 552 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by xrav22
Hi I am moving and want to park the corvette in front of a house, it wont be in gated parking anymore. What are people using for deterrent? I have a fake led/w switch and my alarm works fine.
Thanks

Your car has a theft deterrent. Who would steal a C4 anyway?
The following 2 users liked this post by Cruisinfanatic:
90Fun (01-13-2018), xrav22 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 04:04 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Anyone who wants to steal a car or break in and steal something from inside will do just that. You didn't say how long the move will take, but have you looked at storage places wher you could park it? Maybe ask a friend or relative if they would have a secure area you could use?

Some people say that the "Club" is a deterrent but again, if they really want the car, they will be able to defeat that device.

Will the car be used daily? If not, you may want to try removing the battery. Or take the rotor out of the distributor. Maybe remove a tire/wheel?
The following users liked this post:
xrav22 (01-10-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 05:49 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

Depends on what you're trying to do: deter theft or vandalism?
I've had 2 vehicles where they tried to do a smash and grab. Took out the windshield on one and a side window on the other. In both cases an alarm didn't slow them down.

If some individual wants to break in, they're going to do it. With C4's not being the most desirable model, it's less likely IMO to have it stolen than broken into. Don't leave any goodies visible in the car, in my case there wasn't but it didn't make a difference. One thing though, don't leave things like garage door openers visible either, it's another way to get into a house via an attached garage or access to other vehicles.

For theft, without a battery it's harder to steal a vehicle whether it's remove the battery or disconnecting it. You won't have an alarm though if there's no power in the vehicle.

My 2 cents.
xrav22 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:27 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

w/ all the above:
find a secure location - a friend's driveway even?
Pull critical fuses, e.g., (injector, fuel pump, etc.)

If they can't move it, they'll F'k it up. I'd consider a storage unit or rent a garage. The street is just a matter of time before disaster (from personal experience).
xrav22 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 01:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Thanks

I use nothing and it works fine too. So there we are. You can't simply say "I used this and it works fine" unless there is a control group.

If you are going to be so worried, perhaps you need to stay in that gated community that kept you feeling good. You paid insurance for a reason. If you are going to worry, perhaps the insurance isn't doing it's job. In which case, up the amount. I pay insurance so I can sleep at night and not have to park it in the vault of Ford Knox. If I have to worry, I might as well not pay insurance and just go with liability.
xrav22 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 01:22 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Ya looks like a fairly quiet street, thought someone would mention that old gm steering lock that I see on some old Camaros at the car show. Should be fine. I have full coverage also. Storage is 125 /m but no
available spaces now.

Last edited by xrav22; 01-11-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:41 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I asked the same question once and a user pointed out that the factory E-Brake is probably as good at theft deterrence (except against another C4 owners) as anything that exists.. and it is free.

xrav22 (01-13-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 01:47 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Ya looks like a fairly quiet street, thought someone would mention that old gm steering lock that I see on some old Camaros at the car show. Should be fine. I have full coverage also. Storage is 125 /m but no
available spaces now.
You have full coverage? Then you just paid the insurance company to worry. Let them do their job. That is what I have been telling the wife. Most everything we own is expandable. Why make your life miserable trying to keep it all together? Enjoy what you have and when it is done, it's like the toilet roll. Get a new roll.
xrav22 (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 02:47 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
This is the way to stop drive-away theft.
Take everything out of it, put the collar on the steering column, and leave it un locked. They won't break anything trying to get into it.

Oh, geezuz... I see ANOTHER reason why it can be left unlocked and NOBODY (except Barbie) would mess with that car!

(Yeah, I said it. But, y'all were thinkin' it!)
xrav22 (01-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To what lock is needed for C4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what lock is needed for C4