C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New interior plastic parts NIGHTMARE

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:52 PM
abw121
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New interior plastic parts NIGHTMARE

Has anyone out there been able to replace the interior halo trim panels in the 1985 C4? One of the plastic parts has a crack that is driving me crazy.
And thought replacement was easy compared to repair.

It may sound like an easy answer but since October 2017 I have had three sets of new plastic purchased from a major Corvette aftermarket vendor delivered but not useable. $259.00 per set for left and right plastic.

I am not identifying this vendor since they support the forum.

The first two sets arrived with broken mounts or tabs. And the third set arrived fine but the predrilled holes for the screws are out of location by over 3/4 of an inch. Either parts are damaged or manufactured under poor conditions. You cannot stretch plastic?

This same vendor then took from October until January to email out the return shipping labels for return of the damaged parts.

I have ordered other parts from this same vendor and had no problems.
But talking to the customer service at this vendor all they could do was refer me to the independent manufacture of the part. And would not stand behind the sale.

So has anyone out there purchased and installed new Halo parts on the 1985 C4? Who was this vendor? Did the parts fit without modification?

I do not mind paying for the part as long as it fits and works.
But I cannot stand for any vendor selling parts and then not standing behind the sale.

Third time was not the charm
Old 01-12-2018, 12:13 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by abw121
Has anyone out there been able to replace the interior halo trim panels in the 1985 C4? One of the plastic parts has a crack that is driving me crazy.
And thought replacement was easy compared to repair.

It may sound like an easy answer but since October 2017 I have had three sets of new plastic purchased from a major Corvette aftermarket vendor delivered but not useable. $259.00 per set for left and right plastic.

I am not identifying this vendor since they support the forum.

The first two sets arrived with broken mounts or tabs. And the third set arrived fine but the predrilled holes for the screws are out of location by over 3/4 of an inch. Either parts are damaged or manufactured under poor conditions. You cannot stretch plastic?

This same vendor then took from October until January to email out the return shipping labels for return of the damaged parts.

I have ordered other parts from this same vendor and had no problems.
But talking to the customer service at this vendor all they could do was refer me to the independent manufacture of the part. And would not stand behind the sale.

So has anyone out there purchased and installed new Halo parts on the 1985 C4? Who was this vendor? Did the parts fit without modification?

I do not mind paying for the part as long as it fits and works.
But I cannot stand for any vendor selling parts and then not standing behind the sale.

Third time was not the charm
Suggestion: Try a used parts supplier for a good set of used/OEM Halo parts. They are likely to be less expensive and also likely to bolt right up if from a like year.
The following users liked this post:
abw121 (01-26-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:47 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

I know you don't want to name the vendor....but I think you should so no one else goes through your "nightmare".

And if they're a good vendor why not refund your money

"But I cannot stand for any vendor selling parts and then not standing behind the sale."
abw121 (01-26-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 03:15 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

So terribly typical of replacement C4 interior parts.

A suggestion given to me was have the pieces repaired then covered in a vinyl overlay.
I repaired the parts then sprayed with a satin black finish.

I did have good luck with the replacement door panels from Willcox.

Old 01-16-2018, 12:09 PM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same problems with broken interior trim. I used a product called supafix. It is a super glue with filler powders. It is the first repair glue that I have come across that achieves a strong and lasting repair , and it can be filed and sanded prior to painting or wrapping. I passed this tip on to a guy in the UK who had bought a C 3 with broken trim everywhere. He went the supafix route as replacement trims were far to expensive, and he was well pleased with the results. Lots of car guys in the UK now use the product with great success. Maybe it could help you!!!.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 PM
Palanon
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

give Mark at Mirrock Corvette a call. He parts out C4's. Great guy and a site supporter. I just bought a complete(minus rear window) convertible top in increadable condition.
724-717-2330

Last edited by Palanon; 01-16-2018 at 09:45 PM.
abw121 (01-26-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 04:21 AM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Palanon
give Mark at Mirrock Corvette a call. He parts out C4's. Great guy and a site supporter. I just bought a complete(minus rear window) convertible top in increadable condition.
724-717-2330
Does he ship to the UK ?.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:35 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by vette196
I know you don't want to name the vendor....but I think you should so no one else goes through your "nightmare".

And if they're a good vendor why not refund your money

"But I cannot stand for any vendor selling parts and then not standing behind the sale."
abw121 (01-26-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 04:42 PM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Originally Posted by i987c0sw0rth
Does he ship to the UK ?.
I have done business with Mark at Mirrock Corvette and agree Palanon, I do not no if he ships over seas but you could ask him. hears a link.

http://www.mirrockcorvette.com/
The following 2 users liked this post by eutu1984:
abw121 (01-26-2018), i987c0sw0rth (01-18-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 12:03 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I feel for you. My 95 cam with several broken or missing dash and console parts. I got a new shifter plate but the gage surround for the radio and HVAC was merely cracked. Well, actually it was broken but just at one point. A new one was over $100. I bought a plastic bonder from Duro. Its a 2 part system so it must be an epoxy. I was able to repair the piece and fill the crack. I found a semi gloss, satin black that matched the rest of the gages. It was putzy but I have an extra $100 to spend on parts. Good luck.
abw121 (01-26-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 12:44 PM
hilflos
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

'87 in my case, and halo pieces, as well as that back trim piece the hatch latch mechanism protrudes through are on my list of things to acquire. The cracks aren't bad, none longer than a half inch, but as they're not going to get better over time, they're on the radar.

So pretty relieved to be reading this thread before I wind up in a similar situation, and very curious to see how yours shakes out. Keep us posted?

Thanks for the Mirrock suggestion to all who made it.
abw121 (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 10:29 PM
abw121
Heel & Toe

For those reading this I have waited until now to identify the vendor.
It is Corvette Central.

I waited this long for several reasons.
One was to get this vendor to supply the return shipping which they did.
Even if it took over two months?
After they received the three sets it took another two weeks to give refund for one set of halo parts? This is why I waited since they have not refunded the second set.

So what do I find in my email? Another invoice with this vendor sending out another halo parts set. Even after telling them just do a refund?

If some one from this vendor reads this forum maybe they should contact me in person?
Since no one has called or emailed me with any explanations.
I just sent my 5th email telling them not to send out any further parts and refund request.
I will keep the members informed as to the outcome
Old 01-27-2018, 03:02 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Credit card purchase is very easy to fix the no refund problem.
abw121 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 10:13 AM
abw121
Heel & Toe

After leaving the name of the vendor. I received a private post from this vendor.
Only problem was that the sender failed to identify who in the company was sending the private email? And failed to identify what position they hold within the vendors company?

To send a request via the private email system is fine. Just identify who and what you do within the company let alone give a private email or direct phone number to contact you at.

To send info back to a general email address that several people read or dismiss is a waste of time.

And for the idea a credit card can be disputed. You are correct. But the reason for opening this up on the forum is to get someone’s attention to a minor customer service matter that has now lasted over 3 months.

Again if you sell any product you have a responsibility to your buyer.
To blow them off after taking the money gets you a bad reputation.

I have been refurbishing autos since I was 17 years old.
And have plenty of vendors who provide parts and customer service.
But, burn me once shame on you. Burn me twice shame on me.

Still waiting?
Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

CC is not on my favorites list....and I'll keep it that way. Many other good vendors out there.

abw121 gets screwed for X amount of dollars and CC loses hundreds of dollars from another customer....way to run a business...
abw121 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 12:40 PM
abw121
Heel & Toe

I am still waiting for a reply from this vendor?
I will not be replying to telephone calls.

I am doing it this way to have a formal record.
When you speak with customer service or send in a email to this vendor web site you have no record that the problem was recorded properly let alone being addressed.

Thanks to the forum readers.
We are the person holding the check book.
We have a voice let’s use it!
Old 01-29-2018, 01:06 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

1. I don't know both sides
2. I have bought from both the largest peddlers with no issues.
3. I assume the Vendor thinks you don't have a claim?
4. I remember a fuel injector vendor stepping up publicly here and handling the matter almost as fast as he could and was not afraid of the public backlash. He stood by his business practice and his parts. That is why THEY get referrals all the time, and from now on I was automatically refer them, besides my purchases from them.

At this point...3 months?

This forum better not support a vendor pulling this behavior. I don't care if they pay 1k or 4K a month to have their ads here that is their problem. The amount of people a vendor has access to here is insane. That is a lot of ripping people off and not everyone will complain or dispute.

yes it is ripping off IFFF the parts are defective or garbage.

All these little peddlers need to receive consequences for selling junk. It seems to be as simple as start up an LLC get an online store and start peddling garbage.

There should be a rating system if they keep this up.

if you want the be the middle man and peddle garbage than that should be a risk you take as a business. Maybe it will help keep integrity in mind.

Customer loyalty, honest business ethics, etc, come to mind.
abw121 (01-29-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To New interior plastic parts NIGHTMARE

Old 01-29-2018, 01:10 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Its impossible to get it right every time and I think that most customers 'get that'. sounds like they are repeating the issues. all they need to do is 'make it right' and im sure you will come here and advise us all that they did. nobody or company is perfect. im sure they will make it right and i do understand your requirement for a 'paper trail'.
abw121 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 01:22 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

the last time I ordered from cc was for a pair of sun visors with the vanity mirror and light for a 96. it took 6 months before I received them, and they kept my money from the time I ordered them.
have had a few little problems with them or their suppliers in the past but nothing of this magnitude. next time I order something I will think twice before ordering from them.
abw121 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 03:02 PM
abw121
Heel & Toe

Just a update.

The vendor has reached out to me.
I have received a phone call and a email.
I returned the reply via email.

Let’s see what’s next?

Quick Reply: New interior plastic parts NIGHTMARE