Purchasing a 1989 Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Ruger72
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Purchasing a 1989 Help

I had a 1994 with the LT1 and a 6-speed. Loved it. Had 111,000 and found the right buyer for it so I let it go. I am now considering a 1989 with the L98 and a six-speed. It has 25,000 original miles. Owner has told me that he had the slave cylinder replaced for the clutch. Put tires and a new battery in it. Other than that it is suppose to be all stock. I am asking you guys for any input/recommendations on considering this car to purchase and what I might look specifically at when I go see it. Hoping to see it this week or weekend at the latest. Any input/information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:52 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruger72
I had a 1994 with the LT1 and a 6-speed. Loved it. Had 111,000 and found the right buyer for it so I let it go. I am now considering a 1989 with the L98 and a six-speed. It has 25,000 original miles. Owner has told me that he had the slave cylinder replaced for the clutch. Put tires and a new battery in it. Other than that it is suppose to be all stock. I am asking you guys for any input/recommendations on considering this car to purchase and what I might look specifically at when I go see it. Hoping to see it this week or weekend at the latest. Any input/information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ask the current owner to send you a snapshot of the SPID label on the console door. Once you confirm options it would be much easier to determine just what you need to ask and check. Depending on the build date it could be a 3.54 or maybe a 3.33 which I'd think very desirable.

SPID first!!!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-16-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:16 PM
Ruger72
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

What fluids would I want to drain/flush if I do purchase it? Also do I need to worry about the water pump? Of course I will do my inspection and look for leaks and will check all fluid levels.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:40 PM
i2amanobody
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ruger72, i own a 1989 convertible with the A4. They are really a nice car. I am sure you will get some really good advise on this forum. Here is my 2 cents worth. Talk to the owner as far as any maintenance and repairs done with documents. Get a car fax. You will have to change out all fluids when purchased, possible all vacuum lines and hoses. One thing about these older cars is that hoses, vacuum lines and seals tend to dry out and leak, even on a low milage car. Head gaskets and water pump are troublesome so check very carefully. Do check the gauge panel and Bose radio. Tend to fade and short out. Make sure every thing works as they should including cruise and A/C. Then test drive it for a distance. Don't know what the seller is asking, but value on these cars are low. Last, if you do get it, enjoy it. They are fun to drive. GLWP.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruger72
What fluids would I want to drain/flush if I do purchase it? Also do I need to worry about the water pump? Of course I will do my inspection and look for leaks and will check all fluid levels.
I changed every fluid when I bought my 92. Unless there is documentation of changing they could be near 30 year old fluids.

If the water pump isn't making noise, the car is cooling and there are no leaks it should be OK. I noticed Oreilly Auto loans out radiator pressure testers. Maybe borrow one and test the car. You are dealing with some pretty old hoses.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:09 PM
Brenda1
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

I have been looking fr an '89 with a 6 speed & convertible. NICE car, good luck and I hope it works out for you!
Old 01-17-2018, 02:47 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I'd inspect for engine (oil) leaks, drive from cold to hot (intake leaks), DMFW rattle (at idle), switches in the dash/console/doors, squeaks when driving (suspension bushings) and weatherstrip.

Visually check suspension bushings f/r too...and both power seats.

Tailpipes should be brown vs black if running tip-top IMO. Mine did b4 383 conversion. (Only car I've had that wasn't sooty black) Listen for popping on decel (to determine if injectors are leaking). Troll it....Low speed helps reveal imperfections in timing/fuel.

Check local pricing to determine correct value.

It's nearly a 30-yr-old car now...so thing will degrade somewhat faster due to age....factor that into your decision.

With the exception of injectors and valve cover gasket oil leaks, I would have to say my (original) 89 was a great car. I say "was" because it's basically been through customization/restoration.

GL!!!
Old 01-17-2018, 05:25 PM
Ruger72
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you guys for the Great tips. I am waiting for the sellers call to go see it. Love this Forum! I am trying to keep myself calm. I am going through withdraws on not having my C4 in my garage!
Old 01-17-2018, 06:42 PM
Ruger72
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I should have put the asking price in my original post. He is asking $11,000. I did pull the CarFax and it came back clean. No accidents, no damage reported, and I follow the miles on the report and it matches what he told me. Looks like he has owned it for 3yrs. like he said. Looks like he has put approx. 1,500miles on it. Ok, he told me that he has replaced the original tires, battery, and did the slave cylinder due to the pedal not feeling right when he got it. He also replaced the A/C compressor clutch due to it going out when he got the car. A/C working fine now he says. Other then that does'nt sound like he has done much as far as maintenance. He has told me that the head lights are not working due to the gears. He has also said that he installed a Wilwood break package on the front and has not done the rears yet. He has kept all the stock breaks that were on it originally. Thank you again for your thoughts and input!

Get notified of new replies

To Purchasing a 1989 Help

Quick Reply: Purchasing a 1989 Help