Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Any idea how i should fix this paint damage i just noticed ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 10:06 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default Any idea how i should fix this paint damage i just noticed ?

went to start car thats in winter hibernation.

i noticed this. Doesnt look like a hit . Looks more like some hillbilly decided to gouge it with his buck-knife.

would you fill it and shape it with bondo ? Or sand it smooth and repaint wirh glossy black touch up paint ?

Last edited by dizwiz24; 01-14-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:37 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
went to start car thats in winter hibernation.

i noticed this. Doesnt look like a hit . Looks more like some hillbilly decided to gouge it with his buck-knife.

would you fill it and shape it with bondo ? Or sand it smooth and repaint wirh glossy black touch up paint ?
Marine grade epoxy resin with filler added to it. Works a lot like bondo. Drill a few holes in it for it to grab on to. File it, sand it and then deliver to a pro for paint.

While your at it have the entire car sprayed in a nice metallic so you arent dealing with swirls and dirt 24/7 JK on that comment.

Sorry this happened. Believe it or not the poor soul was jealous of your 20+ yr old c4... take pity on the fool.

Find your resin on any boating supplies website or amazon I think has it. I love working with resins.. awesome stuff.

Last point, your repair should end up being 12" or so beyond the damage. Dont try and sand right up to the edge of the damage, you cant to it. Id even do a top coat of resin only, no filler out further from the damage.. take the paint off first.

Im not a pro, this is based on my experience working with fiberglass on a race car.

Last edited by barchetta1; 01-15-2018 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:39 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Poor Vette, unfortunately I have a spot on the Vette where it was keyed, all across the passenger side, almost from the headlight to the end of the door, paint is white so noone would ever notice it unless I pointed it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Any idea how i should fix this paint damage i just noticed ?

Quick Reply: Any idea how i should fix this paint damage i just noticed ?