Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

2 license plates states

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 07:57 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I have been pulled over in California a few times (unfortunately) over the years. I only have rear plates. The lack of front plate was always ignored.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:56 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ls777z
New York requires 2 plates. Have never been pulled over for that. Modified exhaust? Yes.
​​​​​​​
Same here... running only one on both of mine. Haven't been pulled over (yet?) and I have a modified exhaust on one as well!
Old 01-18-2018, 10:33 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm in Colorado, a two plate state and run both front and rear plates. I have not heard of any of my friends who use the C4 Corvette front block-offs being stopped for just the front plate issue but, it has been added to the laundry list when stopped for loud exhausts, breaking traction (burn outs) and other anti-social acts.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:44 PM
eagle7175
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

got the z06 in 2011, before purchase had the dealer take the front plate bracket off. never been stopped yet but if so then i will pay up and maybe think about a front plate. live in illinois but fortunately not close to any major cities.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:27 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by ls777z
New York requires 2 plates. Have never been pulled over for that. Modified exhaust? Yes.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by jpipx
Same here... running only one on both of mine. Haven't been pulled over (yet?) and I have a modified exhaust on one as well!
I haven't been pulled over either but it's a good idea to keep that 2nd plate in the car just in case it comes up. That will usually at least get you "if it's not on there next time you're getting a ticket......".
Old 01-19-2018, 07:48 AM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Here in NJ, a two plate state, I’ve been running my 2015 Impala without a front plate. I bought the car in PA and I cannot get myself to poke the holes in the nose to install the plate...plus I like how it looks better without it. I’ve been pulled over twice since I’ve had it for speeding but neither LEO’s mentioned it. I can only imagine that because NJ is a small state and it’s large neighbor PA having only one plate helps. Living only within a half hour of the boarder, it is common to see cars without front plates...they don’t stick out...you just assume PA registration. I keep the plate, bracket and screws in the trunk.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:51 AM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I would run my vette without the front but a PO had painted in the embossed letters of “Corvette” on the filler and I didn’t care for how it looked...so I just put the front plate on...
Old 01-19-2018, 11:39 AM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Wisconsin is also a 2 plate state. A couple of years ago the Gov proposed that eliminating a front plate would save the tax payers a kajillion dollars a year. The electorate loved the idea but reportedly the State Trooper dept keeboshed the idea, stating enforcement issues. We are still stuck with the law but I've never run a plate on my 73 or my 95 Corvette. For the most part drivers get pulled over if they are doing something stupid and the LEO wants to detain or inconvenience them but that's about it.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:39 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default plates

Originally Posted by stabac
If you live in a State that requires front and rear plates do you have any problems with just rear?
Had a friend get stopped in a zr1 with no front plate in MD.. Went to court.Judge let him go because the cop was nasty about it. Put it on , then don't worry.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:18 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Here in Jersey the Municipal courts are so hungry for cash that the LEOS are pulling over law abiding drivers and ticketing for anything hanging from the rear view mirrors...including handicap placards if you are moving. Talk about chickens**t. The liberal rags love publishing articles including pics.

The bulls especially like the C6 nose that wasn't even designed for a plate mount. GM was forced to provide a bracket that no one would find acceptable.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:18 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Dunno about other states but here in California, Bay Area specifically, the Golden Gate Bridge has done away with toll takers, bur not tolls; sure, if you've got a "FASTTRAK" account and transponder on your dash, no problem, but for those who don't, a photo is taken, your license number is noted and a bill will be mailed to you; similar for photo's of red light runners, except there its a ticket that's mailed to you. Now I've only seen ...in both cases photo's taken of the front of the vehicle, which obviously includes the front plate; don't know if the equipment can also take a picture of the rear. So in California, where apparently there are few greater sins than depriving the State of revenue, I would say that the safe thing to do is mount that front plate. An open question would be "does just having the front plate laying on the dash where it can be see and photographed" enough to satisfy the law? Dunno the answer to that either.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:20 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
Dunno about other states but here in California, Bay Area specifically, the Golden Gate Bridge has done away with toll takers, bur not tolls; sure, if you've got a "FASTTRAK" account and transponder on your dash, no problem, but for those who don't, a photo is taken, your license number is noted and a bill will be mailed to you; similar for photo's of red light runners, except there its a ticket that's mailed to you. Now I've only seen ...in both cases photo's taken of the front of the vehicle, which obviously includes the front plate; don't know if the equipment can also take a picture of the rear. So in California, where apparently there are few greater sins than depriving the State of revenue, I would say that the safe thing to do is mount that front plate. An open question would be "does just having the front plate laying on the dash where it can be see and photographed" enough to satisfy the law? Dunno the answer to that either.

They pull that same commie BS in Denver too.... Glad I don't live up there...
Old 01-19-2018, 04:42 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

My boss, and I worked on a ship, a roll on roll off or ro/ro to be specific, designed to carry vehicles, home ported and registered in Norfork, Virginia.. We've been stationed in Alameda, California for quite some time. My boss' car, a 1985 Monte Carlo, is registered in Florida which is a one plate state. City cop pulls Jeff over for not having a front plate, Jeff explains that it's registered in Florida, which only requires a rear plate; cop comes back, "well once your car is in California, you only have ten days to register it in California, and I've seen you around for quite some time"..."Yes officer, that maybe true, but every night that I drive up that ramp and onto that ship, I drive into the Commonwealth of Virginia". More information than the officer could process.

Last edited by mtwoolford; 01-19-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:05 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Surprised that the cops haven't figured it out....

I went thru that same BS as a student in kali. TO make matters worse if I reg'd the car in kali the insurance was more than I could afford as a student on the GI bill. But I HAD to have a kali DL. Got pulled over once and the LEO was all f**ked up. He didn't know what the laws were specifically with a kali DL and outofstate tags. Even had the proper ins info for the car. So he wrote me up for non compliance with vehicle registration. I had to go to court and explain to the judge who was not happy with the LEO and dismissed my ticket. I did obtain a letter from that court that explained to any other LEO how the law really reads. Thankfully I didnt need to use the letter.

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 01-19-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:17 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Being non compliant just opens the door for "probable cause" to be stopped. I also was stopped on I 64 in Va and got a warning about no front plate by a trooper travelling the opposite direction. A couple other times by city cops in different cars. While in college, I was pulled in a Beverly Hills Mi for no front plate in my WV registered car.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:27 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
Being non compliant just opens the door for "probable cause" to be stopped. I also was stopped on I 64 in Va and got a warning about no front plate by a trooper travelling the opposite direction. A couple other times by city cops in different cars. While in college, I was pulled in a Beverly Hills Mi for no front plate in my WV registered car.
Well damn.... youre just an unlucky fella aintcha?
Old 01-19-2018, 10:23 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

It is a "secondary offense" in Texas (i think that is the term they use). The won't pull you over for it, but you very well might get a ticket for it if they stop you for something else. You can get a classic car plate (one plate) if your car is 25+ years old, as i do.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 license plates states

Old 01-20-2018, 08:50 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Never ran a front tag on any "special interest" vehicle in IL except far a 57 Olds the nacelle in the front bumper looked unfinished without a tag. Never got stopped by the cops for no front tag.

If your DD is a ghetto cruiser odds are you WILL get a ticket for no front tag in Chicago..

The most interesting vanity plate I have seen in IL was "QQQQ" on a slammed blacked out Caddy coupe. How many Q's are there on that tag?
Old 01-20-2018, 02:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by belairbrian
Is it a moving violation or an equipment infraction? Normally a moving violation will add points to your license. An equipment infraction here can be dismissed at the Police station with proof of compliance. At least here.

What is the purpose of the front plate? If an LEO is going to pull you over they will come from behind and see your rear plate..
They gave me a "Fixit" ticket in WI. Much like a busted tailight or headlight. Bring it to the cop shop and show it to someone with a badge and gun and he signs off on it. You mail it to the offended department, end of story. That or the fine comes into play.

My guess would be for the "Candid Camera" times so they can say "This is your car and this is your ugly mug." I have heard it makes it easier to get laser to reflect on cars with a slope like ours but can't verify that.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
If they wanted to stop you, why couldn't they claim weaving in and out of traffic, loud exhaust or something silly? Sure, some have dashcams which cut down some of the things but I think they can get creative about it and make all kinds of wild claims of why they stopped you.

Quick Reply: 2 license plates states