Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

2 license plates states

Old 01-20-2018, 03:38 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
AFAIK, there is no longer any such thing as a "fix-it" ticket in California.

Everything is a violation, and incurs fines, fees and penalties. Front window tint is a classic. It's used as PC to pull over the punks in their Hondas. The tint gets written up. The guy has to destroy his $250 tint job, and pay about $400 in fines, fees, and penalties. This state is out of control.

Can't wait to get out.
Is there no such thing or is it just not exercised at the discretion of the officer with pressure from above?

OK. That is kinda different. I have tint but they warned me up front that it could be a ticket and if I wanted to continue, they would. So yes, the guy knows he can be cited and forced to remove. I also know that I speed and therefore, if the cop gives me a warning, it's my lucky day. OTOH, if he doesn't, I knew the risks going in. If I get a ticket and it is a fair one, I have ZERO right to complain or ask for pity.

Not only that but I'm glad I never went in.

Last edited by aklim; 01-20-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:26 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I'm a Californian. I can't recall ever being cited for no front plate in California. (Kansas in my Typhoon, yes. $175!). The 85 has never had its front plate mounted since new 50+K miles. The Ty and Cayenne don't have front plates either. The Super Duty has AZ tags (1 plate state). So currently 1 of 5 vehicles has a front tag.

My experience has been that the no front plate is used for Probable Cause by LEO to initiate a stop for other suspicions. (Drug running in Kansas in a flashy Typhoon, for example). I was once stopped in my Syclone on US395 where the PC was no front plate. It was a ride-a-long training exercise, and they let me go without citation. I ended up putting a plate on that truck.

.My DD pick-up does run the plate after no plate for 15 years, I decided to not risk it any longer. I also am very cautious running onto LAX with no front plate. LAX po-po are notorious for citing no front tag. I carry the plate behind the seat and put it on the dash while on airport grounds. So far, so good for that hazard.

AFAIK, there is no longer any such thing as a "fix-it" ticket in California.
Everything is a violation, and incurs fines, fees and penalties. Front window tint is a classic. It's used as PC to pull over the punks in their Hondas. The tint gets written up. The guy has to destroy his $250 tint job, and pay about $400 in fines, fees, and penalties. This state is out of control. Can't wait to get out.
I don't get your Kansas comments? I am a native Kansan, and Kansas has always just been a one plate state, and still is. They only way you can get two plates is if you get vanity plates. Now Kansas LEOs will pull you over if you have a tinted license plate cover, but I don't know why you would have been pulled over for one plate, when Kansas is a one plate state?
Old 01-21-2018, 12:53 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CRAIGVETTE
I don't get your Kansas comments? I am a native Kansan, and Kansas has always just been a one plate state, and still is. They only way you can get two plates is if you get vanity plates. Now Kansas LEOs will pull you over if you have a tinted license plate cover, but I don't know why you would have been pulled over for one plate, when Kansas is a one plate state?
A question. If I am from a 1 plate state, I would think there is some sort of reciprocity. IOW, if I am driving through a 2 plate state, could they bust me for it seeing as how I am passing through? Maybe it works in reverse that if you are from a 2 plate state you have to have 2 plates even if you are in a 1 plate state? IDK. Thoughts?
Old 01-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Edv92c4
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
A question. If I am from a 1 plate state, I would think there is some sort of reciprocity. IOW, if I am driving through a 2 plate state, could they bust me for it seeing as how I am passing through? Maybe it works in reverse that if you are from a 2 plate state you have to have 2 plates even if you are in a 1 plate state? IDK. Thoughts?
I don’t think so...usually in any state an out of state vehicle doesn’t have to meet that states requirements. A lot of guys here in Jersey who own property in Florida will reg down there so they can run with tinted windows. Since they are allowed down there you aren’t considered to be breaking the law here.

Also, about 18 years ago I registered one of my cars in my cousins name so it was plated in Ohio...although I had the car here with me in Jersey. It was interesting because when I got pulled over they asked for license and reg but not for insurance card. I had one, but he wouldn’t even take it from me...out of staters don’t even have to follow insurance laws either as they vary from state to state as well...(unless things have changed in the last 18 years).
Old 01-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

How I got stopped for no front tag in a different state. Beverly Hills Michigan did not approve of muscle cars and hot rods driven by younger people. During this time **** officers carried yard sticks and mirrors on a stick to inspect what they did not like. Later a classmate informed me BHPD would issues tickets for no front plate, inop bulbs, wipers, tires, too high, too low, too loud...etc. A cruising ban on Woodward Ave would go in the effect a year or so later. Prior to going to Michigan I was told I would get a ticket it I took my Firebird the way it was. So after 5 weeks in the body shop and new complete factory type exhaust it was ready to go. So I was on 13 mile road head west when it dumped me into BH something I didn't expect 13 mile resumes on the other side of BH. A cop running radar just released his last victim and standing in the middle of the street. He looked up and pointed me to the side of the road. License and registration....out of state huh......ahhhh I pulled you for speeding 35 in a 25. ...I was actually slowing down to find out how to get back to 13 mile. So I got directions and a ticket for getting lost. I was only in Detroit area for a few days and fighting it cost more than the fine even if I won. It was a 25 dollar learning experience.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:07 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Article IV section 1 of the US Constitution is intended to deal with states honoring other states laws. It is the guiding principal for dealing with out of state plates.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State.

So states should honor registration requirements of the home state. Which means a one plate state could ticket a 2 state plate car for a missing plate. The problem would be under what law? They can't write you on another states law, and they don't have one that applies.

I don't believe that clause gives a person the right to skirt registration laws by registering in another state.

I also realize that some states don't honor other states laws, especially in politically divisive issues.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:22 PM
Yukon Corleone
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

In 1990 I bought my 1990 Corvette. When my license plates arrived, I live in Illinois and we require two, I put one on the back of the car but could not figure out how to remove the filler on the front so I did not put it on. I drove around without a front plate for about 10 years and had been pulled over numerous times too and never once did anyone ask about it. One day I am parked outside Erik the Red’s in the Mount Greenwood neighborhood in Chicago and I over hear two of the bouncers who happen to also be Chicago Cops talking about my car and that they never see Corvettes with front plates and that they don’t give Corvette owners tickets if they don’t have one. I felt good about that but the next time I went to the Chevrolet dealership I asked how to remove the filler, I did not want my luck to run out, they not only removed the filler for me they also gave me four screws and a license plate frame. I put that on and have had the front plate ever since.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:38 PM
aklim
Team Owner

He commented "when I went by you I noticed you don't have a front license plate. California requires two plates". I replied "I'm pretty sure I'm not in California." So he and I didn't get along real well right off the bat. It was VERY obvious the stop was for suspicion of running drugs.

I won't go into the details of the search other than he got a mirror-on-a-stick out and checked the frame. Had me take the air cleaner apart, and get the spare tire out so he could bounce it on the ground. Dumped all my **** on the seat and pawed through it. He didn't find anything because there was nothing to find. 2-1/2 hours on the side of I-70 in September.

He wrote me up for the no front tag. When I phoned in inquiring how to deal with it, the clerk told me it was $175. I don't remember the conversation that ensued, but after a few minutes, she told me $75, and that would take care of it, with no reporting to California. That's what I did. Sent her $75.I now go out of my way to stay out of Kansas.
Drugs MIGHT have been the initial reason, IDK. Since he probably felt you mouthed off to him, he decided to make your life difficult.

I always keep my answers simple. "Yes, Sir", "No, Sir" and "I don't know, Sir". When the disco lights come on, I take my license and CCW permit out and put it on the dash. Hands on the dash and window rolled down. I hit the record button on my phone and I politely inform him that I have a gun on me and am awaiting his instructions to get the documents. If we go to court, he will never be able to record that I was anything but polite and did NOTHING to aggravate the situation.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:22 AM
Dennis L Brooks
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OH and TX

I had a C6 in both statesTX and OH , both require front and back, however they did/do not go after it unless they get you for something else. I did get pulled over in Wichita Falls, 78 in a 70 got warning---- officer did not say anything about no front plate but the ordeal was not pleasant.

In Ohio I had my front plate above the passenger visor --tyraps. The ohio laws says must be visible from the front but did not say by how far away. If I saw a need I would put the front visor down.

TX almost changed the law back in early 2000's but one lobby won out ---- the paint lobby. Sale of paint for license plates would be half.

I run a front plate in Ohio on my C4,

Last edited by Dennis L Brooks; 01-22-2018 at 09:25 AM. Reason: words
Old 01-22-2018, 01:50 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

Illinois here.. 2 C4 corvettes spanning 25 years with no front plate.. I was pulled over once ( probably in 2000 or 2001) on I-39 getting on to I-88 for no front plate (and tinted windows) but never ticketed for no plate or the windows in this case, just a verbal warning for the plate and written warning for windows.

I even had no front plate on a daily driver from 2002 to 2009 again, no issues..

my current vette.. no front plate
Old 01-22-2018, 03:11 PM
Mavinwy
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wyoming does require 2 plates. I have been pulled over with a previous vehicle (even though the second plate was in the windshield). I was given a fix-it ticket and 72 hours to come down to the local PD and show them it was now properly mounted. No fine unless I did not do it, so not really a big deal.

Guess I grew up with them, so the look is no big deal to me.

Jim
Old 01-22-2018, 03:56 PM
biggiefl
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There are certain things that they adhere to even if you are from out of state like helmet laws, brakes on boat trailers, etc.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:06 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

He commented "when I went by you I noticed you don't have a front license plate. California requires two plates". I replied "I'm pretty sure I'm not in California." So he and I didn't get along real well right off the bat. It was VERY obvious the stop was for suspicion of running drugs.
It's probably too long ago to remember, but wonder what he put on the ticket as the violation. Since Kansas doesn't have a front plate law there wouldn't be a statute to cite. Unlikely he could cite the Cali statute.

Sounds like you went through a town that identifies criminals by out of state plates. Been through a few of those.

Last edited by belairbrian; 01-22-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:13 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by biggiefl
There are certain things that they adhere to even if you are from out of state like helmet laws, brakes on boat trailers, etc.
Agree, but like the ones you mentioned, it's usually manner of operation offenses, not administrative issues. Even with CCW they may honor the license but you have to follow there rules as to manner of carry.

In Alabama we now register personal use trucks at unladen weight. Other states require a weight that exceeds the actual weight including cargo and trailers. Our AG recommends we carry a copy of the AL statute in the glove box, since it goes back to how we register the truck.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:16 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

As stated, CA is a 2-plate state and last thing I heard it's a $250 fine.
Honestly, I have better things to do with $250 than give it to the state.
Vanity is overrated.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:21 AM
toddbvanslyke
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No. There's reciprocity with all 50. No issue driving an out of state one plate car in a state requiring two plates.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:31 AM
CA1992C4
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

My 92 C4 came with only the rear license plate - the seller said he never got one when he bought the car ten years earlier. I ordered personal plates for the car, but only put the rear plate on. Is there a trick to removing the front license plate cover so I can install the front plate?

Get notified of new replies

To 2 license plates states

Old 01-23-2018, 11:32 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by DGXR
As stated, CA is a 2-plate state and last thing I heard it's a $250 fine.
Honestly, I have better things to do with $250 than give it to the state.
Vanity is overrated.

got away with 1 for decades but today its one more excuse to f wiht you, couple that with the property seizure laws no way im chancing it

Many yrs ago saw a guy wiht a C5 at a cruise night of all places getting the 'no front plate" talk from a cop. Owner says theres no way to mount it...cop pops his trunk grabs a couple wood screws and a screwgun and zaps his plates on, says "there whaddya think".

Just run the plate.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:41 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by CA1992C4
My 92 C4 came with only the rear license plate - the seller said he never got one when he bought the car ten years earlier. I ordered personal plates for the car, but only put the rear plate on. Is there a trick to removing the front license plate cover so I can install the front plate?
Gently pry up on the bottom edge of the cover. You will see 2 hex head screws. There are 2 on top also. The hex head driver you need to use is small enough to get into the gap without damaging the finish.

Make sure you don't have both plates stacked on the rear end. I know lots of people who only run 1 plate and they keep the 2nd plate stacked onto the rear plate (identical stampings so the plates nest together). So it's easy to "lose" one in that way.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:01 PM
lrj975
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by toddbvanslyke
No. There's reciprocity with all 50. No issue driving an out of state one plate car in a state requiring two plates.
another form of the question:

-car registered in 2-plate state
-owner runs with 1 plate, not in compliance in resident state
-owner driving thru another 2-plate state..

is there a problem, officer??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 license plates states