C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Lift Recommendation

Old 02-03-2018, 10:44 AM
fxkenny
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Lift Recommendation

Hey Guys,
I am thinking I need to get a lift to raise my '90. Getting to where jacking it up and working under it with a creeper is really a pain. (Getting older has it's drawbacks.)
Believe I want to go with a 4 post lift. Use it occasionally for maintenance and cleaning underneath. Maybe store the car on also if I will not be driving it for a bit.
I have 18' ceiling, so height is not an issue. Would like for it to be portable if I need to shuffle it around in the shop. Don't want to break the bank, but want it suitable to safely do the job.
What are your recommendations? Photos would be appreciated if you can.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:10 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by fxkenny
Believe I want to go with a 4 post lift.... Would like for it to be portable if I need to shuffle it around in the shop.
Not sure that's possible.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:14 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Four post lifts are worthless in my opinion. Don't waste your money.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:21 PM
bosshog8
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco16
Not sure that's possible.
Almost all have casters.

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Anyone who thinks this doesn't own one.

I have 2 of these chinese extra tall versions: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...e-Pro-8000-EXT
I love them because I can walk under them completely when they are up. I use them all the time to work on everything. For the money they can't be beat, but like everything chinese, you can't let your guard down. You have to pay attention to anything abnormal. I have never had any issues in 6 years but when you hear of issues they could have been easily recognized by paying attention. They go on sale all the time.
The following users liked this post:
90Fun (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:25 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by bosshog8
Anyone who thinks this doesn't own one.
I don't own one because after an entire career inside auto shops, I know better.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:41 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Why would you buy a lift that doesn't allow you to readily work on wheel/tire/suspension...when you could buy a similarly priced lift where you easily can??
Old 02-03-2018, 03:58 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I have 2 of these chinese extra tall versions: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...e-Pro-8000-EXT
I love them because I can walk under them completely when they are up. For the money they can't be beat,
Sure they can. For ~$750 LESS money, you can get a TWO POSTER from the same place that you can also "walk under completely", but also readily/easily service wheel/tire/suspension. All while taking up far less footprint in your garage.

Now, I have a 4 post at my work/shop...but my lifting requirements are a bit different than those of a typical C4 owner.

Name:  20180203_135432[1].jpg
Views: 2738
Size:  4.96 MB

Name:  20180203_135506[1].jpg
Views: 2604
Size:  1.70 MB

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 02-03-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If you want to double stack cars 4 post drive on. Some may offer a "Trolley Jack" that will roll between the ramps, to raise wheels off ramps. The Two post has some advantages but you still need to get on the floor to set the arms. The posts can be in the way depending on what you are working on. Either one should be attached to the floor. The 2 post is the most popular since they are inexpensive. Since this is a recreational purchase I would get minimum 8k pound 4 post with at least 1 trolley jack. Raising pick ups on a 2 post can get tricky depending year and model. Also 2 post has a bar that ties the post together at the top which can be in limit how high vans or suvs can be raised. If you were doing a lot of wheel or suspension work and in ground "cassette" style electric / hydraulic would be the way to go. You will want to deal with a local vender. If there is a problem you want someone who can both repair and get parts for it. I don't have a preference on manufacture other than locally available. You can poll local repair shops about which supplier offers best service.
64Scout (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 08:23 PM
bosshog8
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Sure they can. For ~$750 LESS money, you can get a TWO POSTER from the same place that you can also "walk under completely", but also readily/easily service wheel/tire/suspension. All while taking up far less footprint in your garage.
Great. So your comparing the price of a 2 post lift to 4 post? So what is the price air conditioning compared to a 4 post? You see, I'm answering the original posters question and comparing 4 post only lifts as well as addressing the shorter 4 post lifts, which you cannot walk under easily.

Last edited by bosshog8; 02-03-2018 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:27 PM
fxkenny
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the input.
I am just starting to look into this and differing opinions are important.
Still leaning towards 4 post as it may be used to store vehicle. Don't think I want the suspension just
"hanging" for an extended period of time. Also, there are numerous 4 post versions available that have dollies to move the lift if needed.
Again, I appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming!!
Old 02-03-2018, 08:29 PM
bosshog8
Pro

I don't own one
Exactly
Old 02-03-2018, 09:24 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I have the Backyard Buddy brand 4 post lift, It's fine for my use.

If I bought again though, I'd look at the Advantage Brand lifts, which use a similar design as the BYB. I would not consider the imported lifts, even though they are typically 3--50% cheaper, but the channel/ladder/welded tab lock lifts felt flimsy compared to BYB.

The BYB and Advantage lifts, you can get a jack bridge to lift one or both ends of the car for service work.

Also, worth mentioning, I got the Race Ramps 48" long ramps to drive on the BYB. Got them from Fred at Reverse Logic, a good vendor. Hope this info is helpful
Mr. Peabody (02-05-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 09:26 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Exactly
This is the voice of inexperience.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:38 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by fxkenny
Still leaning towards 4 post as it may be used to store vehicle. Don't think I want the suspension just
"hanging" for an extended period of time.
The suspension hanging is exactly what you want if you are storing the car. Why flat spot the tires ? Why not have the suspension as relaxed as it can be if you are storing the car ? You may not realize it but you can still park another car underneath whatever car you have on a two post hoist.

There is only one reason to have a four post hoist and that's if you don't have thick enough concrete to properly install an above ground two post. Anyone telling you different is trying to justify their own bad decisions. I have worked with every type of hoist ever made. This is the truth, I would rather have a flat stall than one of those four posted turds in the way.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 02-03-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:57 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Great. So your comparing the price of a 2 post lift to 4 post? So what is the price air conditioning compared to a 4 post? You see, I'm answering the original posters question and comparing 4 post only lifts as well as addressing the shorter 4 post lifts, which you cannot walk under easily.
You might be answering his question but you are also promoting a seriously inferior product.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:22 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

My lift recommendations. A 4 post is great for storage. Get the highest you can use. Much better to walk under it than walk into it. On a 4 post, you can buy floor panels to keep leaks from getting onto the bottom vehicle. You can also buy a rolling jack for a 4 post that will lift the entire front or the rear. I have heard you can buy a 2 post that will act like a 4 post so all 4 tires are resting at the same level using a special beam. That one I would love to have. I will have to settle for my 4 post, going on 6 years. Who new!

Old 02-03-2018, 11:13 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Never owned a lift before, but personally I'd go with 4 post (if I ever had the money for such a thing) - not saying 2 posts are bad by any means, not saying 4 posts are better either. I just like the idea of my car being supported by 4 legs on their own as opposed to 2 legs stuck in the concrete - again not saying either or is better, but the way one looks gives me more peace of mind IMO

Get notified of new replies

To Lift Recommendation

Old 02-03-2018, 11:39 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

AC is nice in a garage, especially on a hot summer day, but last I checked you'd have to lift the car to fit the AC blower under there, then crank that thing real high in order to create enough force to lift the car - and at that point it's pretty much useless, cause you already bought another lift to hoist the car. Course you could always park it ontop of one of those great big industrial AC units they use in skyscrapers and the like, but think of the cost to buy the skyscraper - could've bought a few lifts with that

All in all, 2 posts are cheaper, and can be easier to use - and it's still a lift. Really the only downside is they can't be moved - but if you sacrifice that, then you've beat the price, AND saved some money to spend on your AC
kael (02-05-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 11:41 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

Now, I have a 4 post at my work/shop...but my lifting requirements are a bit different than those of a typical C4 owner.

Attachment 48251156

Attachment 48251157
Good lord.... I don't know what it is, but I think I'm in love
Old 02-04-2018, 08:52 AM
bosshog8
Pro

This is the voice of inexperience.
Experience with what? This is a hobbyist/enthusiast forum. The OP has a home garage. He doesn't need to make money or turn around 20 cars a day. Your focus is clouded by your irrelevant "experience".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lift Recommendation