C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

My Low Budget 95 Coupe Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:07 PM
WhiteC1
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Default My Low Budget 95 Coupe Build

Greetings from snow covered Michigan! As my screen name implies, I own a white ‘59 Corvette, but after 34 years of ownership, I’m adding a new(er) Vette to the stable, at least temporarily. I wasn’t actually looking for another project, as I have a couple unfinished ones already. Last week, I was looking through the local Facebook for sale sites and came across a competition yellow 95 with a bad engine listed for $2750 OBO. From the pictures it looked pretty nice, especially for the price. Well, by the time I contacted the seller, the ad already had over 200 views. I figured it would be gone, but it was still available. I checked it over, and listened to the engine, which had a noticeable knock, but otherwise idled OK. We made a deal (talked him all the way down to $2700 LOL). The next day I had it flatbed towed across town to my house. By the time I got home, the ad had over 1200 views! The interior is pretty clean, new leather seat covers, clean dash and nice carpet and door panels. Plenty good enough for a driver. It also has ZR1 wheels (powder coated gun metal gray) with decent rubber, and brand new slotted rotors and new pads, front and rear.

My mechanic buddy and I checked it over and started it up again. This time, the knock came and went, and there was a chirping noise which changed when it was put in gear. We thought we might have dodged a serious bullet and maybe had a cracked flexplate. Well, we put it on stands (no hoist, too poor), pulled the trans and removed the flexplate. Visual inspection showed no cracks, unfortunately. I even crack checked it at work with dye penetrant. Still no cracks. So, today I pulled the oil filter and cut it apart. Inspection of the filter found a large amount of sparkles. Looks like it’s a goner...

I already had a line on a replacement engine that I found right after my purchase. It a 94 LT1 from a Camaro Z28, with 113,000 miles (my car has about 160,000). The engine is complete, and reportedly runs well. I know it’s always a risk with a used engine, but I got it for $550, and I figure I can part out the good stuff off my engine and get e few bucks back, maybe.

I know the Camaro and Corvette engines are a little different, and the 94 is a little different from the 95, but with some creative mixing and matching, I’m hoping I can get it running soon.

I forgot to add, my car has a nice Magnaflow cat back stainless exhaust, which retails for just over $1000. The short time I heard it run, it sounded pretty sweet!

Not one to waste any time, I dug into it today and got it almost ready to pull. Just have to drain coolant, disconnect radiator hoses, unbolt motor mounts and lift it out. Should be out and on an engine stand tomorrow, at which time I’ll pull the pan and see how bad it’s hurt.

I’ll add a few pictures soon, for anyone who wants to follow along on my adventure. I’ve got a lot to learn about these cars, as they’re nothing like my 59! I know there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here on the forum, and I’m sure I’ll have a bunch of questions along the way. Wish me luck!

Regards,
John
Old 02-09-2018, 08:26 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Good luck with the Vette, sounds like a fun project.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:50 PM
WhiteC1
Racer

Default A few pictures

As promised, here are a few pictures of my car.

Regards,
John
Attached Images         
Old 02-10-2018, 08:12 PM
WhiteC1
Racer

Default Update!

Well, my buddy and I pulled the engine today and inspected it. We found number 5 rod bearing was wiped out and was spinning in the rod. The journal was worn down about 0.040" on the diameter. As soon as Mother Nature stops kicking our A$$, I'll go pick up the replacement engine. Hopefully, within a few weeks, I should have this thing running!

John
Attached Images    
Old 02-19-2018, 07:41 PM
WhiteC1
Racer

Default Update!

Picked up my replacement LT1 yesterday. It looks to be in pretty good shape, and according to the seller, it ran strong and didn't smoke, knock, etc. I know I'll be really lucky if I don't have to do any major repairs to get it running. I got it on an engine stand next to the old one, and I'll be getting started on transferring the Corvette parts to the Z28 engine tomorrow evening. So far, I did discover that two of the driver side exhaust manifold bolts are broken off. The passenger side came off without a hitch. Hopefully I can get the bolts out without having to pull the head. I'd like to leave the intake and heads alone and just get it back in and see how it runs. If anyone has any good tips for getting the broken bolts out, let me know!

Thanks, John
Attached Images    
The following users liked this post:
fparkin (05-01-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 07:53 PM
1LEZ
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Build

Awesome! Keep the pics coming
The following 2 users liked this post by 1LEZ:
fparkin (05-01-2018), WhiteC1 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 10:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

No offense to any members
When are you guys gonna get your head out your azz and realize anything cheap probably is crap? Come on you guys are in your 40s/50s.
Get off of CL!!!!

Best of luck to op.

Last edited by cv67; 02-19-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds interesting. Keep posting your progress.

WhiteC1 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 08:37 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

If part of the bolt is sticking out you can tack weld a nut on to it. The heat should help loosen it. You're making good progress.
WhiteC1 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 AM
WhiteC1
Racer

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
When are you guys gonna get your head out your azz and realize anything cheap probably is crap? Come on you guys are in your 40s/50s.
Get off of CL!!!!

Best of luck to op.
Not sure I totally understand your post. Are you implying that I have my head up my 'AZZ' for spending $2700 on a pretty nice C4 with a known engine issue, or for spending $550 for a replacement engine that I can't guarantee is good? By the time I have it running with an investment of around $3500 or less, do you think I will not be able to sell the car for at least what I have in it? Just curious. And, I'm actually 63, and do occasionally shop for things on CL. Where do you buy all of your parts?

Not offended,
John
Old 02-20-2018, 09:08 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

OP - I've no issues with what you've done but I might have actually looked into freshening up the Corvette LT-1 rather than a swap of the f-body. Issues? Maybe

Water pump for sure and not being an LT1 guy I'm not sure what other potential issues. I believe they were vented differently so there could be much to swap.

I'm surprised there's not been any comments as to what you actually need. Do you know for sure the f-body is a '94 or were just told that? I wouldn't rely on 'here-say'.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:21 AM
WhiteC1
Racer

I considered freshening up the LT1, but after doing a fair amount of research, I'm pretty sure I can transfer the necessary components over from the '94 Camaro LT1 and be successful. My goal is to get it running as reasonable 'price-wise' as I can. After that, I can rebuild the old LT1 at my leisure, or part it out and get back a few bucks. I know this car isn't going to be a $10,000 example when I'm done, but it will give me an inexpensive project that I'm unlikely to lose any money on (my idea of fun...). Then, if I really like driving it, I can either fix it up more, or sell it (hopefully for a small profit) and look for a nice, lower mileage one. It's all good.

John
fparkin (05-01-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:41 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

nice looking car you brought home. Cant say I would not have done the same. IF that engine you bought turns out to be a good one..and all switches over..sweet.
WhiteC1 (02-20-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Benben
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteC1
I considered freshening up the LT1, but after doing a fair amount of research, I'm pretty sure I can transfer the necessary components over from the '94 Camaro LT1 and be successful. My goal is to get it running as reasonable 'price-wise' as I can. After that, I can rebuild the old LT1 at my leisure, or part it out and get back a few bucks. I know this car isn't going to be a $10,000 example when I'm done, but it will give me an inexpensive project that I'm unlikely to lose any money on (my idea of fun...). Then, if I really like driving it, I can either fix it up more, or sell it (hopefully for a small profit) and look for a nice, lower mileage one. It's all good.

John
Good luck on the project. if I were you, I'd consider redoing the original engine, as it should be a 4-bolt main block. The camaro block will only be a 2 bolt, so if you decide on a mild build the 4 bolt would be the way to go. Either way have fun with it!
WhiteC1 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 03:00 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Get off of CL!!!!

Best of luck to op.
Originally Posted by WhiteC1
I was looking through the local Facebook for sale sites and came across a competition yellow 95 with a bad engine listed for $2750 OBO
Not Craigslist.

And it's a beauty. Congrats!

WhiteC1 (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 03:22 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

For starters the Vette LT is 4 bolt main. Maro is 2 bolt. Not sure if that will interfere with parts swaps.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:31 PM
WhiteC1
Racer

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
For starters the Vette LT is 4 bolt main. Maro is 2 bolt. Not sure if that will interfere with parts swaps.
I suspected that might be the case, but wasn’t sure. I’m probably going to hang on to the engine at least until I get it running with the replacement. I have way too many projects to add an engine rebuild to the list right now. I need to swap the oil pans, so I can confirm the 2 vs 4 bolt issue. I’m not planning on hammering on this thing, so the 2 bolt won’t be a big deal. Thanks for the heads up.

John

Get notified of new replies

To My Low Budget 95 Coupe Build

Old 02-23-2018, 08:42 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

There will be no issues swapping it over. The longblock is exactly the same. The only difference is in the accessories on the front.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:28 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Get off of CL!!!!

Best of luck to op.
So cheap crap should be parted out & sent to the car crusher......because you can't deal with the fact that GM built so many that yours is not worth what you think it should be?
Old 02-23-2018, 10:43 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by pacoW
So cheap crap should be parted out & sent to the car crusher......because you can't deal with the fact that GM built so many that yours is not worth what you think it should be?
I think he sold his last regular c4 years ago. I almost bought his ZR1, but the shipping was too much to justify.

Quick Reply: My Low Budget 95 Coupe Build