C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Shorty vs. Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 03:15 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
I had my stock manifolds media blasted and ceramic coated for $100. Same effect as $400 shorty headers, won't rust, reduce heat, and fitment is better than any shorty header.

That would be great if I only knew of a local place around here that could do that kind of work.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:17 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Originally Posted by sluggballz
I put a set of pacesetter shorties on my 95 vert two years ago. I did the shorties for several reasons, my stock manifolds were cracked and were noisy, having a convertible and dealing with the X brace wasn't anything I wanted to mess with and shorty headers bolt right up to the existing down pipe of the exhaust. It did clean up the engine bay appearance some, it made the exhaust a little louder( which I liked) the only real drawback was spark plug access. It really sucks now. And make sure you get a good set of gaskets like fel-pro and don't use the ones that come with the headers.
You'll hear most people say it's not worth anything to put shorties on, if you're looking to add 30 hp, yea, it's not gonna do that. But if you have other reasons or you just don't want to spend a bundle on LT headers, then do what you want. It is, afterall , your car.
Over the last two years, I've put shorties on, replaced the catalytic converters, installed muffler elims, cut the air filter lid, bypassed the throttle body coolant and a few other odds n ends that were free. By my guesstimate I've maybe gained 10-12 hp. I have less than 400$ in the mods to get that. Not a horrible return. And it does sound good!!
Can you please post a picture of your engine with the new shorties installed? Thanks!
Old 02-12-2018, 05:22 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Someone had SLP shorties for sale not too long ago....do a search in the for sale section
Old 02-12-2018, 09:08 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jpipx
Can you please post a picture of your engine with the new shorties installed? Thanks!
You can see the cracks in the stock manifolds. They were like that on both sides
This is the best I have of the shorties. This was as install was wrapping up.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:37 AM
jpipx
Instructor

Originally Posted by sluggballz

You can see the cracks in the stock manifolds. They were like that on both sides
This is the best I have of the shorties. This was as install was wrapping up.
Nice. What made you decide to go with the Pacesetter units instead of another brand?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:01 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
I had my stock manifolds media blasted and ceramic coated for $100. Same effect as $400 shorty headers, won't rust, reduce heat, and fitment is better than any shorty header.

Dont mean to be an azz but not nearly as attractive as shorties and also if you look how the front and rears fire into tho two center I cant imagine they would create same HP.. albeit 4 hp difference
Old 02-13-2018, 09:44 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
albeit 4 hp difference
For how much $$?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:00 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
For how much $$?

He said $100. But I would never spend the hours removing to replace with these myself.

My concern though is with both shorties and long tubes is without heat shields what gets destroyed around the engine? Anything?

And if one wraps these I can tell you that wrap wont last long if you drive it much.. they tend to turn to powder.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:26 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by jpipx
Nice. What made you decide to go with the Pacesetter units instead of another brand?
Price more than anything. I had a discount from Summit and these in the uncoated version were around 200$. I bought hi temp primer and paint for exhaust and coated them myself. Stripping the paint they put on them for storage/shipping purposes was the biggest pain. Everything I do to my car seems to have a tight budget. But the kit was complete although the instructions were very VERY rudimentary, it was one poorly xeroxed sheet of paper.
It took me all of 8 hours to install them. Good luck with whatever route you take
Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds to me that the OP is focused on aesthetics and not performance, so I would recommend doing one of the options to clean up the existing manifolds. Its most cost effective, achieves what you're looking for, and less likely to run into reliability and heat issues that can happen with headers.

As an aside, anyone ever port & polish these manifolds? I don't anticipate it would achieve much, just curious if anyone around here has tried that.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:57 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
Sounds to me that the OP is focused on aesthetics and not performance, so I would recommend doing one of the options to clean up the existing manifolds. Its most cost effective, achieves what you're looking for, and less likely to run into reliability and heat issues that can happen with headers.

As an aside, anyone ever port & polish these manifolds? I don't anticipate it would achieve much, just curious if anyone around here has tried that.

Aesthetics wasn't even on the list of reasons why I put long tubes on my car.

Although, they don't look bad.

Last edited by TA; 02-14-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Shorty vs. Long Tube Headers