C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

84-85 Targa top adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 11:52 AM
pavich91
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 84-85 Targa top adjustment

Just bought a new Targa top and it needs adjusting to fit. Instructions says I need a 1 1/8 thin wrench to adjust the cones on the front. Just wondering if anyone has done this without that thin wrench? Or any tips to make it fit into its new home
Old 02-12-2018, 12:22 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

It is best to use the special tool and tighten the cones with the four top bolts engaged, loosely at the front. If you can't do that, loosen the cones so they just slide and engage the four bolts to set the roof. Then try to take the roof off and tighten the cones without shifting them. I'll bet that you will have to fiddle with it but, it should ultimately work. If you were around Denver, I've got the tool. It is just a sheet metal wrench.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:44 PM
pavich91
Intermediate

When you say the 4 top bolts do you mean the 2 in the back and 2 in front? So tighten the rear ones and leave the 2 front loose? Then keep the cones loose so they slide into place, then tighten it all up?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:18 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by pavich91
When you say the 4 top bolts do you mean the 2 in the back and 2 in front? So tighten the rear ones and leave the 2 front loose? Then keep the cones loose so they slide into place, then tighten it all up?
Yes, snug up the rears and then leave the cones loose enough to slip into place as you tighten up the fronts. Then try to pull the top off without moving the cones and tighten them without changing their alignment. It will be a fiddle, trial and error to get right but, should work. You may have to work at it to get the front bolts aligned for the first fitting, I have had tops from different cars, same year, not want to bolt down without first adjusting the cones to the specific car. If it fits on one car it may not fit another of the same year without adjustment. The cars are quite flexible with the top off and the cones fix some of that when properly adjusted and tight.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:29 PM
TBSS/85vette
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I had my top redone by Melrose and if I remember correctly they provided excellent instructions on how to adjust the new top. I didn't have the wrench. They should be available on their website.

http://www.melrosecorvette.com/c4-co...-installation/
Old 04-03-2018, 02:51 PM
pavich91
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TBSS/85vette
I had my top redone by Melrose and if I remember correctly they provided excellent instructions on how to adjust the new top. I didn't have the wrench. They should be available on their website.

http://www.melrosecorvette.com/c4-co...-installation/

Thanks for the link. Im still having issues with it tho. I haven't adjusted the front mounting brackets yet because I had a hard time trying to figure out how to take the mirrors off. Don't see a nut, just a weird looking thing. I noticed the roof sits bit higher on the passenger side and its also not completely centered. So thinking I need to adjust those front brackets on the frame of the windshield.

Another funny thing is, it doesn't sit in my rear cargo spot, like its too big. Cant get it below the lock to lock it in place. Weird

Get notified of new replies

To 84-85 Targa top adjustment

Quick Reply: 84-85 Targa top adjustment