C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rattling/chattering sound from right rear of 1995

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 11:52 AM
Steve C4
Cruising

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rattling/chattering sound from right rear of 1995

My 1995 C4 hatchback is suddenly making a sound that sounds like either a rattling rear hatch or something akin to a door not completely closed. This only occurs when I hit bumps in the road. The rear hatch seems to be very tightly closed and I replaced the rear hatch striker to ensure this. The rubber/hard plastic coating on the hatch latch is perfect. The two bolts/gaskets holding the top of the hatch window to the upper frame are nice and tight, too. I've had a couple mechanics examine underneath the car yet they find nothing loose in the suspension. It literally sounds like the hatch window is rattling yet when driving I feel no vibration in it when I press my hand on it when I hear the noise. Any ideas? It is driving me nuts and now I'm afraid to drive the car.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:14 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Steve C4
My 1995 C4 hatchback is suddenly making a sound that sounds like either a rattling rear hatch or something akin to a door not completely closed. This only occurs when I hit bumps in the road. The rear hatch seems to be very tightly closed and I replaced the rear hatch striker to ensure this. The rubber/hard plastic coating on the hatch latch is perfect. The two bolts/gaskets holding the top of the hatch window to the upper frame are nice and tight, too. I've had a couple mechanics examine underneath the car yet they find nothing loose in the suspension. It literally sounds like the hatch window is rattling yet when driving I feel no vibration in it when I press my hand on it when I hear the noise. Any ideas? It is driving me nuts and now I'm afraid to drive the car.
Here is one easy thing to check. Just in-board of the lower hatch rubber seal are 4 little rubber ***** (1/2" diameter) that are pushed into the plastic; two on either side of the latch. If one or more of them are missing .. it is possible for the hatch glass to rattle going over bumps.

Also just for the heck of it check to see that the two struts that assist in raising the hatch are not loose.
The following users liked this post:
Steve C4 (08-03-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 05:28 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Also, check the plastic trim on your hatch back. These become loose over time (as I found out) and sometimes need a little tightening.
Steve C4 (08-03-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 09:45 PM
Steve C4
Cruising

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Here is one easy thing to check. Just in-board of the lower hatch rubber seal are 4 little rubber ***** (1/2" diameter) that are pushed into the plastic; two on either side of the latch. If one or more of them are missing .. it is possible for the hatch glass to rattle going over bumps.

Also just for the heck of it check to see that the two struts that assist in raising the hatch are not loose.
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it! The four rubber bumpers/***** are intact and contacting the glass okay. I replaced that trim section when I bought the car (with 30,300 miles) in Sept. 2015 'cause it was missing.. The shocks still have good tension and lift ability although they are a teeny bit loose at the top connection point. Not enough to rattle, though, I think.

Last edited by Steve C4; 08-03-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:49 PM
Steve C4
Cruising

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Look in the wheel well at the UPPER shock absorber bushing. If the shock has been leaking (common on original bilsteins), the bushing will swell up and possibly fall out. That would rattle over bumps or uneven pavement.
I think you may be on to something, there! I appreciate your comment very much and will have my mechanic look at that on Wednesday.. I do see a bolt visible above the tire that does seem to have a swelled rubber (?) bushing. Not sure if that's where the shock attaches or not but I'm sure we'll be able to tell once it is up on the lift. Thanks again!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:37 AM
MLaw
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 53 Posts

Check to verify that the bolt that holds up the spare tire carrier is tight. A loose carrier could possibly make the sound you are hearing.
Steve C4 (08-03-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 03:19 PM
Steve C4
Cruising

It looks like my Corvette was originally ordered with run flat tires and the "no spare" option so there is no spare tire carrier underneath the car. Thanks for suggesting that possibility, though.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Steve C4
Cruising

Problem fixed! The loud rattling, chattering is gone!. I took my C4 to my mechanic at 7:30 this morning and during a road test, he determined the noise was coming from the roof panel even though it sounded like rattling glass. It turns out that the roof panel bolt behind/above the passenger seat was slightly loose! We realized that when I got in the car to ride with him and he told me to feel the vibration between the panel and rubber gasket. That's when I felt the loose screw.above my head where it bolts the roof panel to the chassis. Scotty Garrett tightened it up and no more noise when driving over bumps! So simple we were both pretty stunned.. It is amazing how noisy that panel can be when ever so slightly loose; it sounded like the rear hatch window was loose but it was the fiberglass panel instead! I had arrived at my mechanics shop this morning with new rear Bilstein shocks and new bushings for the rear spindle control arms in hand from Zip thinking there was an issue with the rear suspension but a thorough examination of the entire rear suspension showed no wear, no leaking, no play. No need to replace any of those parts after all. My 1995 C4 has 47k miles on it. Zip Corvette very graciously took the parts back since they had not been opened - they too are great folks!
Thanks very much to everyone who responded here with suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Last edited by Steve C4; 08-01-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Problem fixed! The loud rattling, chattering is gone!. I took my C4 to my mechanic at 7:30 this morning and during a road test, he determined the noise was coming from the roof panel even though it sounded like rattling glass. It turns out that the roof panel bolt behind/above the passenger seat was slightly loose! We realized that when I got in the car to ride with him and he told me to feel the vibration between the panel and rubber gasket. That's when I felt the loose screw.above my head where it bolts the roof panel to the chassis. Scotty Garrett tightened it up and no more noise when driving over bumps! So simple we were both pretty stunned.. It is amazing how noisy that panel can be when ever so slightly loose; it sounded like the rear hatch window was loose but it was the fiberglass panel instead! I had arrived at my mechanics shop this morning with new rear Bilstein shocks and new bushings for the rear spindle control arms in hand from Zip thinking there was an issue with the rear suspension but a thorough examination of the entire rear suspension showed no wear, no leaking, no play. No need to replace any of those parts after all. My 1995 C4 has 47k miles on it. Zip Corvette very graciously took the parts back since they had not been opened - they too are great folks!
Thanks very much to everyone who responded here with suggestions, I really appreciate it!
And a THANKS TO YOU for coming back and telling us what the problem really turned out to be
Old 08-01-2018, 04:54 PM
Natrlone93
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

That just happened to me recently. Mine was loose enough that after a few times of driving it trying to figure it out I pushed up on the roof to check tightness and it moved slightly. Tightened it up and noise went away. Glad I read the whole thread before suggesting you check that.

Get notified of new replies

To Rattling/chattering sound from right rear of 1995

Quick Reply: Rattling/chattering sound from right rear of 1995