C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

88 help with intermittent hard start

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 08:10 PM
jameskarate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 88 help with intermittent hard start

I'm looking for a corvette tech in the Huntington Beach, Ca. area that can help me with this intermittent hard start. I've replaced the fuel pump,fuel filter,injectors from FIC. Also plugs, ignition coil, wires, dist cap and rotor. I still have this intermittent hard start and when this happens it becomes flooded. I took it to a shop here in HB and after charging me $180 bucks they said it was the injectors. So I replaced the injectors and still have the same problem. Pissed that $180 away along with the price of injectors. I really need some help from someone that actually knows something about corvettes. I will pay for someone to help me with this problem but I'm retired and can't just keep throwing parts at this thing and paying for someone that doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. Hoping someone can really help me out here.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:51 PM
corvetteharley
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Question does it just keep turning over but not fire up and run? Also does it still have the factory vats security because if yes on both it may be the security.i have this issue and believe the vat resistor in my key is too low in resistance as I've measured it.sometimes my Vette will start wright up and others it turns till battery is dead.ive ordered a new key and am hoping that's the problem.otherwise it could be the wires from ignition switch for the vats as there notirious for breaking as they get older.i don't know if this is your issue if yes I hope it helps a little.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:15 PM
jameskarate
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvetteharley
Question does it just keep turning over but not fire up and run? Also does it still have the factory vats security because if yes on both it may be the security.i have this issue and believe the vat resistor in my key is too low in resistance as I've measured it.sometimes my Vette will start wright up and others it turns till battery is dead.ive ordered a new key and am hoping that's the problem.otherwise it could be the wires from ignition switch for the vats as there notirious for breaking as they get older.i don't know if this is your issue if yes I hope it helps a little.
Vats has been bypassed. Sometimes it fires as soon as you turn the key. Other times it takes about 5-10 seconds before it starts and when this happens its flooded.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:18 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I would think the temp sensor for the ecm is bad. It is cheap and on the front side of the engine.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:39 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

The following users liked this post:
jameskarate (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 10:10 PM
tonyb123
Heel & Toe

I agree, one of the cold start sensors may be coated, did you pull a code? sometimes the ecm may be screwed up. try the sensors first
Old 02-20-2018, 12:30 PM
jameskarate
Instructor

Originally Posted by tonyb123
I agree, one of the cold start sensors may be coated, did you pull a code? sometimes the ecm may be screwed up. try the sensors first
Did not set any codes?

Get notified of new replies

To 88 help with intermittent hard start

Quick Reply: 88 help with intermittent hard start