Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette C4 1986 L98 Coolant Flush.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:04 PM
Ved
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette C4 1986 L98 Coolant Flush.

Hey Guys,

I'm planning to do a cooling system flush on my C4 (1986 - L98). I bought the required specification coolant (concentrate - I plan to mix it by myself).

Does anyone know the fluid capacity of the system? (Edited post - I found an old manual - capacity is 13.29 L (14 qts.))

Is there anything I should look out for in particular?

Cheers,

Ved

Last edited by Ved; 02-19-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:50 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Certainly consider replacing the radiator hoses if they show any signs of cracking or dry rot. Same with the heater hoses. Does the car have the RPO KC4 oil cooler? There are a few rubber hoses that are part of that option. Just look for a tube coming off the oil filter boss and going into the block and another going around the front of the oil pan and up towards the right side exhaust manifold.

Can't hurt to replace the thermostat. A 180 'stat will work fine. Maybe the pressure cap too; look for any signs of tearing around the rubber seal.

To get all of the old coolant out, remove the knock sensor that is just in front of the starter. Chances are that there will be some brown sludge in the opening so you may have to use a rod to get coolant to come out.

If the old coolant looks good, close up everything and fill the system with water. Start the engine and get it to operating temp. Let it cool down, drain and refill and run the engine again. Then do it a 3rd time.
You can now fill with a 50-50 mix of coolant and distilled water. With the front of the car jacked up, start the engine and get temps to where the 'stat opens and the coolant level falls (leave the pressure cap off. Then raise the idle to around 1200 RPM and continue filling the radiator to the top of the opening. Replace the pressure cap.

You should remove the overflow container that is in the right-side headlight well. Clean it out as best you can and -re-install. I used some paint to make the "COLD" fill line to make it visible. Reinstall and add fresh coolant to the Cold line.
The following users liked this post:
Ved (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 01:26 PM
Ved
Intermediate

Many thanks for this detailed reply - I'll try to hit all the points you mentioned. A way to get much of the old coolant out (by also removing the knock sensor) was what I was particularly looking for. It doesn't have the KC4 oil cooler.

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Certainly consider replacing the radiator hoses if they show any signs of cracking or dry rot. Same with the heater hoses. Does the car have the RPO KC4 oil cooler? There are a few rubber hoses that are part of that option. Just look for a tube coming off the oil filter boss and going into the block and another going around the front of the oil pan and up towards the right side exhaust manifold.

Can't hurt to replace the thermostat. A 180 'stat will work fine. Maybe the pressure cap too; look for any signs of tearing around the rubber seal.

To get all of the old coolant out, remove the knock sensor that is just in front of the starter. Chances are that there will be some brown sludge in the opening so you may have to use a rod to get coolant to come out.

If the old coolant looks good, close up everything and fill the system with water. Start the engine and get it to operating temp. Let it cool down, drain and refill and run the engine again. Then do it a 3rd time.
You can now fill with a 50-50 mix of coolant and distilled water. With the front of the car jacked up, start the engine and get temps to where the 'stat opens and the coolant level falls (leave the pressure cap off. Then raise the idle to around 1200 RPM and continue filling the radiator to the top of the opening. Replace the pressure cap.

You should remove the overflow container that is in the right-side headlight well. Clean it out as best you can and -re-install. I used some paint to make the "COLD" fill line to make it visible. Reinstall and add fresh coolant to the Cold line.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:39 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Ved
Many thanks for this detailed reply - I'll try to hit all the points you mentioned. A way to get much of the old coolant out (by also removing the knock sensor) was what I was particularly looking for. It doesn't have the KC4 oil cooler.
On the opposite side of the engine will be a pipe plug in the block.... remove that as well to get the crud and coolant out of that cylinder bank. Make sure you torque the knock sensor to 14 lb/ft.
The following users liked this post:
Ved (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 03:46 PM
Ved
Intermediate

Sounds good. I'll have a look for where this plug is! Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by 81c3
On the opposite side of the engine will be a pipe plug in the block.... remove that as well to get the crud and coolant out of that cylinder bank. Make sure you torque the knock sensor to 14 lb/ft.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette C4 1986 L98 Coolant Flush.

Quick Reply: Corvette C4 1986 L98 Coolant Flush.