C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Direction indicator issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 03:21 PM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Direction indicator issues

Hi guys. Next problem. Direction indicators on car exterior all working fine. Right hand signal arrow illuminating and flashing on dashboard . Left hand and central signal showing nothing. I have changed bulbs but still not working. The turn signal flasher is obviously working so could it be a fuse issue or possibly the hazard flasher?. My car is a 1988 C4. Are there fuses controlling the bulb operation in the dashboard?. Any ideas?.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:39 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Start with double checking your grounds. Sounds like yu may have an open loop somewhere in your system on the left. There is a ground strap on the rear frame rail just being the antnae. They corode after time as they are directly in the path of rear tire spray.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:47 AM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Start with double checking your grounds. Sounds like yu may have an open loop somewhere in your system on the left. There is a ground strap on the rear frame rail just being the antnae. They corode after time as they are directly in the path of rear tire spray.
Thanks for that suggestion. I will check that out before I access the flasher unit. I had a new ECU fitted recently, and it is possible that wiring to the flasher unit could have been dislodged by the guy carrying out the work. Could that cause the dashboard to malfunction as I described ?.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:37 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Certainly.... anything is possible when wiring starts to get done and redone. Double check your connections and then check the ground.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:54 AM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Certainly.... anything is possible when wiring starts to get done and redone. Double check your connections and then check the ground.
Looking at the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual,it looks as though there are 2 connections on the indicator flasher unit, and by my thinking, if either were not connected, either the external indicators or the right turn arrow in the dash would not work. I am thinking your bad earth diagnosis could be spot on. Can you please tell me where the earth bolt is located on the rear of the chassis. We are expecting snow for the next week or so but I will get onto this when it has cleared . Thanks for your help.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:46 AM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Originally Posted by i987c0sw0rth
Looking at the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual,it looks as though there are 2 connections on the indicator flasher unit, and by my thinking, if either were not connected, either the external indicators or the right turn arrow in the dash would not work. I am thinking your bad earth diagnosis could be spot on. Can you please tell me where the earth bolt is located on the rear of the chassis. We are expecting snow for the next week or so but I will get onto this when it has cleared . Thanks for your help.
I have just noticed that you have already given me the earth location. Sorry, its an age thing.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:24 AM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
There is only one flasher for both sides. If one side works correctly, the flasher is not the problem with the other side.
The indicators in the cluster are connected to the same wire as the front signals. Same colors too. Lt blue and Dk blue. (I don't recall which color is which side, look at the wires at the front signal bulb holder). If the front signals illuminate, there is power on that wire to the cluster indicators as well. If the below checks are all affirmative, then you may have a bad connection at the cluster connector, or on the board itself.

The indicators can get messed up by bad grounds at the front of the car ESPECIALLY with the park lights on. Do all your checking with the park lights on.USUALLY, ground problems result in the cluster indicator being ON when it shouldn't be.

Another clue as to "bad ground" or connection at the bulb is to watch the side marker light on the same side. With parking lights = off, the side marker should flash WITH the front. With park lights = on, side marker should flash opposite the front.

Verify the signals on the front of the car work correctly, including with the park lights on. If = yes, go back to the cluster and check the Lt blue and Dk blue wires going into the connector for 12V. If you use the hazards for this test, you don't need to know which color is which side. Both wires should "flash" with the flashers.
Thank you for that very clear and detailed check procedure. I will check that out .
Old 03-13-2018, 12:45 PM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Right, I have been able to spend some time on the car today. What is happening is as follows. All indicators work with all lights switched off. With light switch pulled out to 1st position, rear lights work but no front lights working.With head lights on, indicating left turn, no dash arrow. Front , repeater and rear all flashing . Right side front on dim, repeater on bright but both not flashing, no rear indicator lit. Indicating right turn, everything as before but in reverse but dash right turn arrow working. I cleaned both front chassis earths but this made no difference. Is the rear earth accessed from inside the trunk?. American term, are you all impressed?.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:57 AM
i987c0sw0rth
Advanced

Thanks again for your help guys . Cleaned the two multiplug connections on the digital dash panel. Also changed the direction indicator bulbs and full headlight beam indicator. All working perfectly as it should. Now summer is coming, I can just enjoy the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Direction indicator issues

Quick Reply: Direction indicator issues