Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Disconnecting antenna on a 1992 Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 03:31 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
I highly recommend installing a bypass switch. I did it on my 1995, super easy and I'm glad I did. I used a super heavy switch that my dad gave me, surely it was up to the task. I keep the switch off (antenna down) always unless I want radio, which is rare. And once every few months I run the antenna a few times just to keep it working.

Here is one youtube video, may not apply to your year but there are lots of videos out there and you will find the information if you look for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1Ek3ZjKAs
Thanks - I’ve watched that video before and it was helpful, but it’s a coupe and mine is a convertible - they are different.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:33 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Since you have an aftermarket deck, it should have control for the antenna to be up with radio and down with MP3/cd use.
The antenna goes up when you turn the radio on no matter what you’re listening to, that’s why I am trying to find the connector do disconnecit the antenna.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:45 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

If you're considering installing a switch in your antenna circuit, it's better to put the switch in the orange wire that's also shown in the video. The switch in the orange will allow you to have the antenna stay down when you want it down, but will also allow you to put the antenna at any height and have it stay there, even when the ignition is off, or the automatic mode (switch on)! No more up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down, if that's what you'd prefer!

With the switch in the pink wire, you'll have only two choices: Down all the time (switch off), or automatic up-down-up-down to its full height every time you turn the ignition on or off (switch on).

If the only thing you want is to disconnect the antenna motor, unplugging the connector may be all you need.

The following users liked this post:
CA1992C4 (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 03:51 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
If you're considering installing a switch in your antenna circuit, it's better to put the switch in the orange wire that's also shown in the video. The switch in the orange will allow you to have the antenna stay down when you want it down, but will also allow you to put the antenna at any height and have it stay there, even when the ignition is off, or the automatic mode (switch on)! No more up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down, if that's what you'd prefer!

With the switch in the pink wire, you'll have only two choices: Down all the time (switch off), or automatic up-down-up-down to its full height every time you turn the ignition on or off (switch on).

If the only thing you want is to disconnect the antenna motor, unplugging the connector may be all you need.

No one is going to listen to the radio, and if I someone wanted to - I could just plug the connector together again. I’m just trying to keep it down all the time.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:01 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by CA1992C4
The antenna goes up when you turn the radio on no matter what you’re listening to, that’s why I am trying to find the connector do disconnecit the antenna.
I understand that. But it might be wired incorrectly.

But no problem on just ignoring my suggestion. Good luck in your install.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:02 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

OK, guys let me throw this one on ya.
I have a '92 vert AND coupe with both having aftermarket radios. Can you disconnect the radio antenna in the "UP" position? Also will it stay up after disconnecting? I do listen to the radio and not worried about the antenna being up as neither car gets out of my sight and they both live in my locked shop when not being driven.
That way I have the choice to listen to anything be it radio or CD.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:55 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Originally Posted by Smokeysvette
OK, guys let me throw this one on ya.
I have a '92 vert AND coupe with both having aftermarket radios. Can you disconnect the radio antenna in the "UP" position? Also will it stay up after disconnecting? I do listen to the radio and not worried about the antenna being up as neither car gets out of my sight and they both live in my locked shop when not being driven.
That way I have the choice to listen to anything be it radio or CD.
Thanks in advance.
Did you ever figure your issue out?
Old 05-08-2018, 10:25 AM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Did you ever figure your issue out?
Mine wasn't really an issue and is going up and down correctly. But as for where to disconnect to "keep the antenna in the up position permanently? No, no one has replied to that question. Thanks for asking though.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:40 AM
CA1992C4
Racer

Originally Posted by Smokeysvette
Mine wasn't really an issue and is going up and down correctly. But as for where to disconnect to "keep the antenna in the up position permanently? No, no one has replied to that question. Thanks for asking though.
My antenna is going up and down too, but I was trying to know which wire to disconnect to keep the antenna in the down posistion permanently. I guess I could have worse things to deal with.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:56 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

With the CDM under the dash it's a tougher solution than the later C4 BUT IF your intention was just to 'defeat' the antenna in either 'UP or DOWN' the easiest would be to remove the braided ground strap at the left rear chassis. That's a fairly easy reach.

I can't quite grasp the 'defeat' maybe simply because every car I've had with a power antenna I installed a demand switch.

PINK switched @ C209 under the dash isn't terribly difficult.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:07 AM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
With the CDM under the dash it's a tougher solution than the later C4 BUT IF your intention was just to 'defeat' the antenna in either 'UP or DOWN' the easiest would be to remove the braided ground strap at the left rear chassis. That's a fairly easy reach.

I can't quite grasp the 'defeat' maybe simply because every car I've had with a power antenna I installed a demand switch.

Thanks WVZR-1! I'll try that and see if it works! I'll get back with you after this weekend when I get the chance. Yes I'm like the OP in that I have a '92 vert too. But I also have a coupe also and true, they are different. I have a c-6 too but that's for a different forum

Last edited by Smokeysvette; 05-08-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:58 AM
CA1992C4
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1

Does a 1992 convertible have the same easy to remove ground strap?
Old 05-16-2018, 06:10 PM
randman1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve read that on a 1992 coupe the wiring connector that needed to be disconnected was underneath the plastic trim at the rear of the hatchback, my convertible doesnt have that. I’m sure there will be an owner of a 92’ convertible that has disconnected the antenna before, just hoping they come across my thread.
Did you ever reach your goal of disabling your power antenna? If not, read on...

In a 92 convertible, the antenna relay lives behind the left rear wheel well. It sits about as far back in the interior of the car as you can get. The relay assembly has a connector with 3 wires, white, dark green and gray. These are the wires that go between the relay and antenna motor. Get the antenna in your desired position and disconnect this connector. Other than moving the carpet around a bit, there's no disassembly of the interior required and is easily reversible should you want the antenna to function later.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:34 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Originally Posted by randman1
Did you ever reach your goal of disabling your power antenna? If not, read on...

In a 92 convertible, the antenna relay lives behind the left rear wheel well. It sits about as far back in the interior of the car as you can get. The relay assembly has a connector with 3 wires, white, dark green and gray. These are the wires that go between the relay and antenna motor. Get the antenna in your desired position and disconnect this connector. Other than moving the carpet around a bit, there's no disassembly of the interior required and is easily reversible should you want the antenna to function later.
I gave up on the project. The anntenna works, I just wanted it to stay down when the CD was playing - I never listen to the radio. So you’re saying the connector is on the driver’s side - at the very back under the carpet?
Old 05-16-2018, 07:20 PM
randman1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave up on the project. The anntenna works, I just wanted it to stay down when the CD was playing - I never listen to the radio. So you’re saying the connector is on the driver’s side - at the very back under the carpet?
Yes. It is a connector on the antenna relay assembly that you will disconnect. You will likely see the 3 wires easily when you pull back the carpet and sound deadening pad from the rear of the wheel well. Follow them back to the relay. My relay was not attached to anything so you should be able to simply pull it forward to where you can work with it.
The following users liked this post:
CA1992C4 (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 07:23 PM
CA1992C4
Racer

Originally Posted by randman1
Yes. It is a connector on the antenna relay assembly that you will disconnect. You will likely see the 3 wires easily when you pull back the carpet and sound deadening pad from the rear of the wheel well. Follow them back to the relay. My relay was not attached to anything so you should be able to simply pull it forward to where you can work with it.
Thanks, I’ll check it out this weekend!
Old 05-17-2018, 08:41 AM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Hey CA1992C4,

If you get around to doing the disconnect could you please put a pic on this thread showing the carpet removed. Assuming my '90 Vert is the same as yours I tried to pull up the carpeting but it seems to be glued down. I don't want to screw anything up so I'm asking....thanks in advance.

Get notified of new replies

To Disconnecting antenna on a 1992 Convertible?

Old 05-17-2018, 09:55 AM
CA1992C4
Racer

Originally Posted by mickey5
Hey CA1992C4,

If you get around to doing the disconnect could you please put a pic on this thread showing the carpet removed. Assuming my '90 Vert is the same as yours I tried to pull up the carpeting but it seems to be glued down. I don't want to screw anything up so I'm asking....thanks in advance.
I’ll take a photo when I find the connection.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:35 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Originally Posted by mickey5
Hey CA1992C4,

Yes that would be great as my carpeting is glued down also. Much more so than my coupe and less space of course. So a pic would be great!
Old 05-19-2018, 10:47 PM
gdl2165
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 83 Posts

I was just researching this same issue for my 96 vert and went to Mid-America Motorworks to look into the antenna bypass switch only to find they apparently don't have it for sale anymore, but they do still list it on their site. The install instructions are also still there and I thought they might be helpful for others here:
https://image.mamotorworksmedia.com/...s/616250_X.pdf

Quick Reply: Disconnecting antenna on a 1992 Convertible?