Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Stranded in a '96

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

FWIW, I replaced the ICM and coil too. Hate throwing parts at a problem. Almost as much as I hate being stranded.

It amazes me that the Corvette isn't sitting on the curb with a for sale sign. I normally have zero tolerance for cars that leave me walking without warning.

I must really like this car.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:42 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by pacoW
I think the opti will give you some "warning shots" before it stops working all together.
I wouldn't count on it. Similar to a fuel pump, it can fail in a variety of ways...including instantly. I've had two fail now in my LT1 tenure.
1st was the OEM one...it started with a low RPM/high load intermittent 1 cal miss. Then it started breaking up at high RPM, only when hot. With time, the "high RPM" ceiling got lower, only when hot. Finally, it would die when hot, restart and run fine when cooled some. There was a "hard line", right around 210*F where it would work, or not work. Weird.
2nd one failed by simply shutting the car off (w/a corresponding loss of tach signal) while driving down the road. I'd wait 2?, 5? 10" minutes (it varied) and then it would fire right back up run fine and perform fine.

Get the lenses wet/dirty and they are done. (until you clean 'em). They often give warnings....but sometimes they don't.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:45 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Is the problem resolved or still trouble shooting to rule out any further issues?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:15 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Is the problem resolved or still trouble shooting to rule out any further issues?
No more codes from the MAF, no more starting issues. It started and ran fine all week. So maybe?
Old 03-20-2018, 10:19 AM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
No more codes from the MAF, no more starting issues. It started and ran fine all week. So maybe?
Old 03-20-2018, 10:21 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

I don't k ow how many miles or years were on your icm and coil, but I don't consider them "throwing parts at it", I would consider them to be preventative maintenance parts. Especially if they're original, but I don't replacing a 10 year old coil as unacceptable.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I don't k ow how many miles or years were on your icm and coil, but I don't consider them "throwing parts at it", I would consider them to be preventative maintenance parts. Especially if they're original, but I don't replacing a 10 year old coil as unacceptable.
Only in the sense that I couldn't determine that they had failed. But as you said, cheap enough.

Guess I should think of them as being much like plugs/wires.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:41 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Icm

In a parking lot not far away sits Lucy. She starts and dies.

No warning. Started great after work and lunch. Ran without a pause. Then I stopped for beer.

Maybe someone will steal her.
I carry a spare ICM . Less than 20 bucks on Amazon or ebay. Less than a minute to switch. You dont have to remove the old one if you get stuck. Just unplug from the old one, plug in the new one. grounding not necessary since ground is supplied in the wiring.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:21 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Default Optispark time? Again?!?

Two hours of pacing, sweating, cringing and riding in a tow truck after a full day at work. Yay.

No warnings. Drive to work was uneventful.

Fires up and instantly dies. Time to get out the noid lights and confirm what I believe will be another exercise in Opti-frustration.

This car requires more mechanic than what lives here. I'm getting too old for this sheet.

It's not a garage queen. More like a jack stand queen.

At least I got one last run on the Tail of the Dragon last month. And thankfully didn't have to tow it from there.

If the noids confirm, My 60 year old hands are going after Utah Tom's two-hour Opti-swap record. If for no other reason than I no longer give a damn. And if that effing balancer doesn't pop off on the first pull, I'll take an air hammer to it.

Then I'm thinking cargurus.com.

Update: As before, fired up this morning, though it struggled at first and almost died. Ambient temp 74F this morning vs. 95F in the parking garage last night. I have a winter driver? Engine heat killed the new ICM already or just defective??

Running very slightly rough at idle.

Last edited by Renfield; 06-10-2018 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Turned the key.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:09 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Sorry to hear that, man. That car is definitely challenging you.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:41 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Well... I hear ya, but don't entirely agree without at least attempting to ascertain the performance of the new part.

Researching Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) statistical analysis (college course many moonz ago), the two most likely failure periods in a new part's lifetime is immediately after installation and then again after it is (worn out). Furthermore, failure rate over time when the part is initially installed (aka "infant mortality rate") is much worse than after it has reached its lifetime expectancy! (Some would testify to the increase in "infant mortality" of (foreign) manufactured parts, as an example.)

So, it's a given: sometimes there is no practical way to evaluate some parts other than swapping them out. Been there, done that too. But, the issue is after a part is replaced, the saw is; "I replaced (that widget) so that can't be the problem!" OH, BROTHER! With out verification, HOW WRONG HE CAN BE!? Never assume!

(Just sayin!)

Last edited by Paul Workman; 06-10-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:31 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Well... I hear ya, but don't entirely agree without at least attempting to ascertain the performance of the new part.

Researching Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) statistical analysis (college course many moonz ago), the two most likely failure periods in a new part's lifetime is immediately after installation and then again after it is (worn out). Furthermore, failure rate over time when the part is initially installed (aka "infant mortality rate") is much worse than after it has reached its lifetime expectancy! (Some would testify to the increase in "infant mortality" of (foreign) manufactured parts, as an example.)

So, it's a given: sometimes there is no practical way to evaluate some parts other than swapping them out. Been there, done that too. But, the issue is after a part is replaced, the saw is; "I replaced (that widget) so that can't be the problem!" OH, BROTHER! With out verification, HOW WRONG HE CAN BE!? Never assume!

(Just sayin!)
Hi Paul. Entirely possible my "new" ICM hit the wall after three months. Looking for a way to test it, I came across this thread from a few years back. Sounds like the same problem. OP faded away and it went unresolved.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:48 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

He sold it and moved on...............
Old 06-27-2018, 08:42 AM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Meddlesome curiosity here. Ever get this sorted?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:54 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by car addict
Meddlesome curiosity here. Ever get this sorted?
I have confirmed that the ICM and Coil I replaced were (and are) good. After the last tow, it again fired up the next morning.

In hindsight, subtle warnings included poor idle (like a small miss), a bit of hesitation, and occasional hard-start.

It's on jack stands in the garage. Just need to find the time to tackle the Optispark removal. Then I'll find out what 2 years and 10K miles looks like on a Petris unit.

If it is the optical component, I have two Mitsubishi originals on stand by.

Meanwhile I've been enjoying the '94 Miata. My little Chevy life jacket.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:21 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I have confirmed that the ICM and Coil I replaced were (and are) good. After the last tow, it again fired up the next morning.

In hindsight, subtle warnings included poor idle (like a small miss), a bit of hesitation, and occasional hard-start.

It's on jack stands in the garage. Just need to find the time to tackle the Optispark removal. Then I'll find out what 2 years and 10K miles looks like on a Petris unit.

If it is the optical component, I have two Mitsubishi originals on stand by.

Meanwhile I've been enjoying the '94 Miata. My little Chevy life jacket.
I spite of the miata nonsense, and the "c4 respect" thread that got locked, I'm glad you didn't get booted from the forum. Lol.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:56 AM
Renfield
Drifting

LOL. Thanks. Sorry for the M word. Been driving my '83 F100 too!

Get notified of new replies

To Stranded in a '96

Old 06-27-2018, 05:57 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

If it doesnt have mitsubishi optical sensor, it shouldnt be installed in any cars
Old 06-29-2018, 01:52 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Is the Petris only two years old? I thought this was the best with the Mitshubiti potical.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:37 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by fake
Is the Petris only two years old? I thought this was the best with the Mitshubiti potical.
Not even. I finished this replacement in September 2016.

From my reading, Chris Petris has a good reputation with these things so I don't want to jump to conclusions. I suspect my work more than his. Although I can't confirm that he uses a Mitsubishi sensor.

I haven't removed it for a post mortem yet. Between work and life, it's been a busy few weeks. It could be as simple as a failed timing cover seal.

I hope to pull the Petris Opti next week and we'll all have a look.

Quick Reply: Stranded in a '96