Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Historical plates (ohio) advantages?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 02:30 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default Historical plates (ohio) advantages?

my car just passed the 25 yr mark and i wanted to see if there are advantages to getting historical plates (for example, do i still have to maintain a front license plate and do e-check which unfortunatelty exists in my county).

i guess its kind of an ohio specific question, so if anyone who knows ohio can help me out i would live to hear.

i know there used to be an ohio state trooper on here ,oshp7655, or somethng like that, who was always super helpful
Old 03-11-2018, 06:45 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Check it out carefully before going one way or the other. I looked into them here (Mn), then I found the bad with the good. Good is you buy them once and that's it. The bad is if you take the car to the grocery store, work or anywhere other than something like a car show you could be written a traffic ticket. You can't take it on vacation outside of your home area without risk of a ticket. That's just 2 of the things I found and there's more.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:55 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

http://epa.ohio.gov/dapc/echeck/test...ed_a_test.aspx

there are rules governing "historical". see if you can get "collector" or just wait until the car is 26 and then it is exempt. may not be worth the hassles of historical

https://www.dmv.com/oh/ohio/custom-vehicle-registration

collector plate application

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv4803.pdf

note, both cannot be used for daily transportation. you get a cop with a grudge that patterns your driving habits, you can get nailed with the historical plates if you drive it too much, same with collector plates and driving it to work more than once in a while

Last edited by drcook; 03-11-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:42 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

In states with state inspections antique tags can make car exempt. Most of the cars I knew of in Va with antique tags were either pre war or heavily modified and would not pass inspections. Ohio like Michigan seem to be pretty casual about what they drive on their roads. I would investigate the " limits" of use and how it effects insurance options. I have never looked at collector car insurers like Haggerty.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:00 PM
Buckeye88
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I have them on my car. They only do the rear plate now. Basically they will tell you that the car can only go to/from a car show or club meeting. I talked to a friend of mine who is with the Akron PD. He said if I get pulled over to tell them I'm on my way to a show or club meeting. If you are on the way to work, tell them the meeting is right after work. I drive mine all the time and not a single look from the Highway Patrol or local police. They have bigger things to worry about. $50.00 for a lifetime plate.

And no more E-check

Last edited by Buckeye88; 03-12-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:07 PM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

No restrictions in Mississippi for antique plate. Drive wherever you want. Only limited by mileage on my insurance. I paid a little extra through NCM so I can drive to it work occasionally if I want to.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:08 PM
drcook
Safety Car

However, I used to write insurance policies when I was a licensed agent here in Ohio. If you have an accident and the insurance company catches wind via mileage etc, by all rights, they can deny coverage as you are technically using the car in an illegal manner. Check the fine print.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:34 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Check it out carefully before going one way or the other. I looked into them here (Mn), then I found the bad with the good. Good is you buy them once and that's it. The bad is if you take the car to the grocery store, work or anywhere other than something like a car show you could be written a traffic ticket. You can't take it on vacation outside of your home area without risk of a ticket. That's just 2 of the things I found and there's more.

I believe you are incorrect. What if your vacation is to a car show out of state ? So it's parked outside a grocery store, big deal.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:35 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cdm747
No restrictions in Mississippi for antique plate. Drive wherever you want. Only limited by mileage on my insurance. I paid a little extra through NCM so I can drive to it work occasionally if I want to.

Max, 6,000 miles a year, right.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:10 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Yup, same in NY. Not worth the hassle
Old 03-12-2018, 07:22 PM
Tony 327
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a historical plate on a 1989 Pontiac GTA. Besides the car shows and club meetings you can also drive the car for repairs and service. You can think of any number of reasons to fit that. There is always a Pontiac this or that I need to drive to. But, I've yet to have to use those excuses - never been stopped.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:50 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
I believe you are incorrect. What if your vacation is to a car show out of state ? So it's parked outside a grocery store, big deal.
Call the DMV, that's what I did when I was looking at collector plates and that was where I got my info. I did not specifically ask about 'out of state' car shows but it wasn't worth the risk to me to put collector plates on my car. It's a fun car and I don't like being hassled over little things.

I happened to know a policeman and it came up in a conversation we had at a club meeting. He said that yes they can write a ticket if you're stopped and they think you're going outside of the rules on the collector plates. It's then up to you to prove you didn't go outside the rules on the plates. He also said if you catch a policeman on a bad day, he can make your day miserable based on improper use of collector plates.

IMO collector plates didn't provide me enough advantage over regular plates so I stayed with the regular ones at least for now.

Originally Posted by drcook
However, I used to write insurance policies when I was a licensed agent here in Ohio. If you have an accident and the insurance company catches wind via mileage etc, by all rights, they can deny coverage as you are technically using the car in an illegal manner. Check the fine print.
I had an occasion last year going out of state (50th class reunion) and I do have collector insurance on my car and wanted to make sure I was covered. I called my insurance company asking about the trip and was told it was OK and they noted it. I want to do Rte 66 after I retire and asked about that also. They said that to have coverage they can write a temporary rider to my insurance policy for the duration of the trip otherwise my policy would not cover me if I had an accident out west. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by hcbph; 03-13-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:24 AM
drcook
Safety Car

They said that to have coverage they can write a temporary rider to my insurance policy for the duration of the trip otherwise my policy would not cover me if I had an accident out west. Better safe than sorry.
There is lots down in the fine print that most folks don't notice that can get them in trouble. If they (insurance companies) can get out of paying claims they will.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:13 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Call the DMV, that's what I did when I was looking at collector plates and that was where I got my info. I did not specifically ask about 'out of state' car shows but it wasn't worth the risk to me to put collector plates on my car. It's a fun car and I don't like being hassled over little things.

I happened to know a policeman and it came up in a conversation we had at a club meeting. He said that yes they can write a ticket if you're stopped and they think you're going outside of the rules on the collector plates. It's then up to you to prove you didn't go outside the rules on the plates. He also said if you catch a policeman on a bad day, he can make your day miserable based on improper use of collector plates.

IMO collector plates didn't provide me enough advantage over regular plates so I stayed with the regular ones at least for now.

I had an occasion last year going out of state (50th class reunion) and I do have collector insurance on my car and wanted to make sure I was covered. I called my insurance company asking about the trip and was told it was OK and they noted it. I want to do Rte 66 after I retire and asked about that also. They said that to have coverage they can write a temporary rider to my insurance policy for the duration of the trip otherwise my policy would not cover me if I had an accident out west. Better safe than sorry.

So a cop see's a nice old C4 tooling around during the summer with collector plates and he's gonna stop ya because of the plates your running. I doubt that.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:26 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
So a cop see's a nice old C4 tooling around during the summer with collector plates and he's gonna stop ya because of the plates your running. I doubt that.
No, but the cop that patterns you and is P.O.'d at his wife/girlfriend/donut maker, etc will. Or a little burg like Linndale, Ohio which derives its income nabs you going up I-71

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/366...in-our-asphalt

Lots of ways it can happen. The odds of getting stopped on a sunny saturday/sunday when car shows, cruise-ins are slim to none, as the likely hood of beating said ticket approaches 100% but on a Wednesday during the off-season, with some splatter from the puddles on the car...

Well....

Plus, unless you have another licensed vehicle or two, depending on the licensed drivers in your household, it gets a bit harder to deal with.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:32 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

My car is hobbyist. Cops have come to my house and stopped me over the noise and then say "oh well, it's old has a big motor and loud" LOL

BTW I'm in WI.

my Dad was stopped in his c4 with no front plate in '2012?

Last edited by pologreen1; 03-13-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:44 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

I'll chime in here. I'm a cop and I live in Ohio. Yes, the law is that historical plates can be used only for car shows, club meets, parades, and repairs. With that said, as long as the plates are not being abused we generally look the other way. Meaning, don't daily drive the car and don't drive the car in foul weather. I have historical plates on my Corvette and I drive it often in the spring and summer. Never had an issue. Bottom line, be respectful, don't get yourself pulled over, and don't daily drive the car and you should be fine. But understand the risk of a citation if you don't have a valid excuse ready for driving on historical plates.

Get notified of new replies

To Historical plates (ohio) advantages?

Old 03-13-2018, 07:04 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Minnesota laws ... License Plates - Specialized Plates - Collector

Restrictions: Vehicles registered in any of the collector classes are restricted to operation solely as a collector's item and cannot be used for general transportation purposes.

Collector Plates

Collector plates may only be displayed on motor vehicles (except recreational) that are at least 20 model years old and manufactured after 1935. At the time of application, the owners must certify that they have one or more vehicles registered with regular Minnesota license plates.

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/pag...spx?pageID=616
Old 03-13-2018, 07:41 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

I’ve got antique plates on 2 of my cars. I also have 4 other vehicles with normal plates. In PA, you buy the plates for $75 and they are good forever. If you sell the car, you can let the plate go with the car with a signed release letter. No annual inspection, no emissions test. Just don’t use it as a DD. My brother, a LEO, has 3 antiques himself, as well as do a lot of his Trooper co-workers. No issues.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:05 PM
3798j
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Pennsylvania charges $136 for antique plates (or classic).

Quick Reply: Historical plates (ohio) advantages?