Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

O.K Riddle me this Corvette fans.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 03:46 AM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default O.K Riddle me this Corvette fans.......

O.K friends, I have a conundrum.. I bought my 85 a few weeks ago, been working on her all is well. Before buying her i bought 2 vin reports to check if she was clean. I mean no self respecting corvette person would buy before a thorough vin check right? Vin came back clean.... but here's where it gets weird. my 85 has a 4+3 with the Overdrive on the console.. no biggie right? Early 85's did... Well upon further interwebs searches I learned there were roughly 39,7 hundred something 85 vettes. Most were Autos. Like close to 32 thousand.. only like 5,900 some with the 4+3.... (So 4+3 owners we should feel special ).
However this is my VIN : 1G1YY0783F5123349 So my girl was number 23,349 off the line in bowling green Right.... Seems a little high to be an "EARLY" 85 more like "Mid to late"... So When in 85 did they , or how many of those 5,900 4+3 have the OD on the console.... Or did I get *** pounded by the little dealership and my vin comes from another 85? Am I Paranoid?(possibly), Do I not decode the VIN right? Riddle me that ? Any thoughts friends?
Old 03-17-2018, 05:42 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Parsons
O.K friends, I have a conundrum.. I bought my 85 a few weeks ago, been working on her all is well. Before buying her i bought 2 vin reports to check if she was clean. I mean no self respecting corvette person would buy before a thorough vin check right? Vin came back clean.... but here's where it gets weird. my 85 has a 4+3 with the Overdrive on the console.. no biggie right? Early 85's did... Well upon further interwebs searches I learned there were roughly 39,7 hundred something 85 vettes. Most were Autos. Like close to 32 thousand.. only like 5,900 some with the 4+3.... (So 4+3 owners we should feel special ).
However this is my VIN : 1G1YY0783F5123349 So my girl was number 23,349 off the line in bowling green Right.... Seems a little high to be an "EARLY" 85 more like "Mid to late"... So When in 85 did they , or how many of those 5,900 4+3 have the OD on the console.... Or did I get *** pounded by the little dealership and my vin comes from another 85? Am I Paranoid?(possibly), Do I not decode the VIN right? Riddle me that ? Any thoughts friends?
(reference: corvette black book) -- don't know where you got your information, but in 1985, there were 39729 units produced. of those, 9576 had option MM4 (4-speed O.D. transmission). that option was available across the board, so there was no early/late thing. manual 4+3 trannies were available in corvettes from 1984 through 1988. paranoid - ??? - maybe, but it doesn't hurt to be a little paranoid when it comes to older corvettes - . for a complete list of your 85's options, look at your SPID sticker located on the lid of your LH storage compartment lid (behind the drivers seat). that will give you a breakdown of your corvette's original configuration. BTW, welcome to the club - especially the 85 owners club (we're special - ).

BTW, if you need help with the RPO codes, post a pic of your label, or google "GM RPO codes." finally, post some pics of your 85.

edit: here you go... https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...85/85prod.html
https://www.corvette-web-central.com/C4RPOcodes.html

Last edited by Joe C; 03-17-2018 at 05:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JrRifleCoach (03-19-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 06:15 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Joe C corrected you on the 'count'. There's a Certification Label on your drivers door that would ID MONTH/YEAR of build. I don't know that I've seen mention early/late but a 'matter of fact' if you had 2 '85 (side by side) and 1 was switched on console and the other on the **** it could be assumed that the 'switched on console' should display an earlier VIN than the other UNLESS the switched on the **** had been modified.

It's 'noted' that the change was a rolling change that occurred during production.

Concerned about your VIN? There's VIN derivatives on components. A match of the VIN through the windshield, the Certification Label and SPID is generally assumed to be likely sufficient. The derivative on the frame rail in the vicinity of the battery tray might be of interest to you.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-17-2018 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:36 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Joe C corrected you on the 'count'. There's a Certification Label on your drivers door that would ID MONTH/YEAR of build. I don't know that I've seen mention early/late but a 'matter of fact' if you had 2 '85 (side by side) and 1 was switched on console and the other on the **** it could be assumed that the 'switched on console' should display an earlier VIN than the other UNLESS the switched on the **** had been modified.

It's 'noted' that the change was a rolling change that occurred during production.

Concerned about your VIN? There's VIN derivatives on components. A match of the VIN through the windshield, the Certification Label and SPID is generally assumed to be likely sufficient. The derivative on the frame rail in the vicinity of the battery tray might be of interest to you.
just noted that as a line item in the black book "the overdrive selector button for manual transmission was moved during 1985 production from the console to the shift **** itself." being an automatic guy, can't say I've ever seen a shift **** mount. unless i'm misunderstanding this, I thought all 4+3's through 1988 were console mounted.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:16 AM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

thank you all for the insight..... here are my RPO codes... good news I atleast got a Z51..... the other codes I have no clue.... any insight would be awesome... Also my car was painted and idiots removed the door sticker:-) I know it was blue though

Old 03-17-2018, 12:04 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Too many variables in production to assume what would be an "early" vs "late" 4+3. Were dealers asking for autos more than manuals? When did GM have parts for the change over? Did GM decide to implement the change only after panel mounted parts were exhausted?

The only way to know when the cut over took place would be to identify the configuration of the manual cars by VIN until the highest panel mounted VIN and lowest **** mounted VIN are known. Or get access to GM build docs and look for the part number changes.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:34 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I don't know when the change was, but my '85 4+3 was 30595 and it was shifter mounted.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:20 AM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Ok Sweet.... I did my own interwebs snooping and empowered myself and know what all RPO codes mean. https://www.corvette-web-central.com/C4RPOcodes.html Was a lifesaver.
My girl was born in bowling green in mid 85 . She was solid medium blue ... Was built for performance with Z51 package and all related upgrades..4+3 Doug Nash .... Medium blue standard leather seats... Power windows/locks , power seat , heated mirrors , yada yada... She was a beautiful vision and left Kentucky with 6 miles... NOW 33 years pass she meets her last and I mean last owner ....ME.....And boy does she need love..
I Did a CARFAX, and she is clean with actual mileage, and most important ....NO ACCIDENTS.. However, in the past few years. She has been passed around more than a joint at a Phish concert.. One owner from 85 to 2003 , then another to 2008. Then like 6 owners till I found her scared and alone at a little "buy here pay here" car lot.. My wife and I were out on an evening walk on a different route than usual. We passed this little car lot that had mostly 6 and 7 thousand dollar family cars. But there she was behind two Honda something or others.. with nothing but a price and "Low Milage " . I asked the wife if I could look at it for sec, and she agreed... Well I got to reminiscing about my late teens when I two of them, but was a dumbass kid, and did not not appreciate them.... I left sad.. Well she bought her for me as a surprise for Valentines Day ... I hope that explains why I'll never sell her, and why she has a home till I die....

My beautiful wife bless her heart means well... She cant drive a manual, so she heard her start and run and the miles were 89, 470... So she bought it... No test drive no research nothing.... Bless her heart :-) .
Old 03-19-2018, 08:23 AM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

thank you all for the insight..... here are my RPO codes... good news I atleast got a Z51..... the other codes I have no clue.... any insight would be awesome... Also my car was painted and idiots removed the door sticker:-) I know it was blue though

We need some pics.
There are some companies that make repro door stickers, you can google it. They may or may not need a picture of the old one. I know that is not possible in your case but hopefully there is someone that can help.

Gary
Old 03-19-2018, 09:47 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Ok Sweet.... I did my own interwebs snooping and empowered myself and know what all RPO codes mean. https://www.corvette-web-central.com/C4RPOcodes.html Was a lifesaver.
My girl was born in bowling green in mid 85 . She was solid medium blue ... Was built for performance with Z51 package and all related upgrades..4+3 Doug Nash .... Medium blue standard leather seats... Power windows/locks , power seat , heated mirrors , yada yada... She was a beautiful vision and left Kentucky with 6 miles... NOW 33 years pass she meets her last and I mean last owner ....ME.....And boy does she need love..
I Did a CARFAX, and she is clean with actual mileage, and most important ....NO ACCIDENTS.. However, in the past few years. She has been passed around more than a joint at a Phish concert.. One owner from 85 to 2003 , then another to 2008. Then like 6 owners till I found her scared and alone at a little "buy here pay here" car lot.. My wife and I were out on an evening walk on a different route than usual. We passed this little car lot that had mostly 6 and 7 thousand dollar family cars. But there she was behind two Honda something or others.. with nothing but a price and "Low Milage " . I asked the wife if I could look at it for sec, and she agreed... Well I got to reminiscing about my late teens when I two of them, but was a dumbass kid, and did not not appreciate them.... I left sad.. Well she bought her for me as a surprise for Valentines Day ... I hope that explains why I'll never sell her, and why she has a home till I die....

My beautiful wife bless her heart means well... She cant drive a manual, so she heard her start and run and the miles were 89, 470... So she bought it... No test drive no research nothing.... Bless her heart :-) .
She (your wife) sounds like a keeper.
Joseph Parsons (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 05:49 PM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Yeah she is... Thanks too!! The car is an amazing project and a keeper as well, (sorta wish it was an 86 or higher, cause I wish she had Anti lock and climate control. ) but I'm taking her one step at a time... the doug nash is in good shape and while has a few bugs ...MOSTLY mechanically sound....
When my wife (Pam) had the car (onyx) delivered that was when i found out the following (heres the fun part) : The drivers side headlight motor is broke. : both head light enclosures are cracked and need to be replaced. : Drivers side rear running light out.: Horn is broke( I checked and the horn relay was missing, that scares me because it might be a security issue) I bought a new relay and am going to try it when I put the dash back. : Dash was dim and began to flicker (had Batte.com reservice it. just picked it up from UPS today in fact). Drivers side power lock switch broke... : Drivers side door lock cylinder broke...( so you have to unlock it from the passenger side...:The ignition switch needs to be replaced and I know it's not the original( How do I know you ask? it has a VATS key.IT'S AN 85 FOR CHRIST SAKE) :... All door hardware was missing and replaced with zip ties, so door trim sags and you see the internals of the doors from the outside...: Window motors need to be upgraded (cause there slow as molasses...: Tach either reads 00 or random digits like 86 and 75 ect( see my other post on that issue).. Windshield wipers only work on high: Bulbs in heater/AC controls shot..: Seats were painted black with vinyl Paint ( and came from a red car no less)..: painted the dash bumper with ugly matte black paint...: painted the blue carpet black...: painted the Targa top matte black to hide the huge crack....: Stalls till the engine gets warm( probably a TPS issue......BUT other than that......... She's OK.... just a couple or 5 grand of TLC, and some help from my new friends here..... I think I can get her done in due time.... Once again My wife meant well.... Bless her heart..... She said it will give stuff to do on my days off I think she wants me out of her hair with all those repairs... what do y'all think?
Old 03-19-2018, 06:45 PM
Dls1dls1
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 85

Yeah she is... Thanks too!! The car is an amazing project and a keeper as well, (sorta wish it was an 86 or higher, cause I wish she had Anti lock and climate control. ) but I'm taking her one step at a time... the doug nash is in good shape and while has a few bugs ...MOSTLY mechanically sound....
When my wife (Pam) had the car (onyx) delivered that was when i found out the following (heres the fun part) : The drivers side headlight motor is broke. : both head light enclosures are cracked and need to be replaced. : Drivers side rear running light out.: Horn is broke( I checked and the horn relay was missing, that scares me because it might be a security issue) I bought a new relay and am going to try it when I put the dash back. : Dash was dim and began to flicker (had Batte.com reservice it. just picked it up from UPS today in fact). Drivers side power lock switch broke... : Drivers side door lock cylinder broke...( so you have to unlock it from the passenger side...:The ignition switch needs to be replaced and I know it's not the original( How do I know you ask? it has a VATS key.IT'S AN 85 FOR CHRIST SAKE) :... All door hardware was missing and replaced with zip ties, so door trim sags and you see the internals of the doors from the outside...: Window motors need to be upgraded (cause there slow as molasses...: Tach either reads 00 or random digits like 86 and 75 ect( see my other post on that issue).. Windshield wipers only work on high: Bulbs in heater/AC controls shot..: Seats were painted black with vinyl Paint ( and came from a red car no less)..: painted the dash bumper with ugly matte black paint...: painted the blue carpet black...: painted the Targa top matte black to hide the huge crack....: Stalls till the engine gets warm( probably a TPS issue......BUT other than that......... She's OK.... just a couple or 5 grand of TLC, and some help from my new friends here..... I think I can get her done in due time.... Once again My wife meant well.... Bless her heart..... She said it will give stuff to do on my days off I think she wants me out of her hair with all those repairs... what do y'all think?
BTW - 1985's don't have VATS and if you begin to read up on some of the problems with climate control and anti lock brakes on early C-4's, it may be a blessing not to have those to deal with either. I also have an 85 with 4+ 3 and 37k miles.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 PM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Yeah I know 85's don't have VATS, thats the joke.... THIS 85 came with a VATS ignition key, so that means it was replaced by one of the previous owners with a new ignition switch... from an newer car or just an idiot whom bought the switch from ZIP and didn't care about the year... All the same it's acting quirky and I will replace it with an 84/85 non VATS ignition switch... :-)

37K AMAZING Would like to see your baby!!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:52 PM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

See notice the VATS key......
Old 03-20-2018, 12:52 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Why do you care that its got a VATS key? I really doubt that the car has the rest of the VATS circuitry, so what difference does it make? That little chip in the key can't do any harm. The tumbler in your car that the key fits into, has no electrical connection to the actual ignition switch. The ignition switch is located toward the bottom of your steering column, with a pushrod connecting it to the tumbler mechanism.

What "quirky" thing are you seeing?

Old 03-20-2018, 06:45 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

Sounds like a beautiful 85!! Would love to see some pictures of the car!!
Old 03-20-2018, 10:56 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Jo this story is pure gold.

Start a dedicated restoration thread that you can update with progress. Ill sub and try to help as you go along. Bfenty has parts for your car if you need anything.

Get notified of new replies

To O.K Riddle me this Corvette fans.......

Old 03-20-2018, 01:17 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

I heard my name being called!!!

ill second VT’s suggestion of a dedicated restoration thread. Start a thread that we can subscribe to and then link to other threads for specific issues. It makes it easier for us to help you out.

My ‘85 is identical to yours except it’s red/black. I was in a wreck and so now it’s a parts car. Let me know if you need something I can probably hook you up. I’m also happy to give advice-I’ve learned a good bit about these cars in the last year or so.

Great story on your car, looking forward to seeing her come together!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:21 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

I’ll also agree that the ‘85 is a much simpler car than some of the later models, which leads to fewer issues. Not to mention, they have forged steel pistons instead of cast iron. They are very solid cars overall.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:21 PM
Joseph Parsons
Intermediate

Y'all are amazing.... I will start a new Thread. It will be called The Onyx II Project... I named the car Onyx.... Thanks for all the love. I find that corvette owners have a brethren usually found only in motorcycles like Harley Davidson.... It's warm and very welcoming , so just awesome thanks.... P.S I got my Cluster back from Batee and got it back inside( works great, Thanks Mr Thompson) .... I made some YouTube vids for y'all as well so you can see her as she is currently......
Bfenty (03-20-2018)

Quick Reply: O.K Riddle me this Corvette fans.......