Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 02:49 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Haffley
10 years ago when I bought a 300zx turbo out of state and legally registered it at the border, they pulled me over in this town and called a tow truck to impound it because they never saw an out of state to instate vin trace/vehicle registration.

So yes, they absolutely do impound cars in this town if they aren't legally registered/inspected and if you'd like I'll bring a few people on here that can confirm it from personal experience....
There is a big difference between a wrong registration (in the cop's mind) and an expired inspection (small fine) on a car you own.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:54 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
What do expired tags/ registration have to do with an expired inspection? Nothing
Around certain counties here, failed emissions means you cannot register the car. So when your tags are about to expire, you are told to report to a place to get it checked. It fails the check and the station doesn't transmit a pass code to the DMV. That means you cannot register the car until it passes. Some places might tie registration to a mechanical inspection. IDK but it is possible. You don't pass, you don't renew. You don't renew, you are riding on expired tags. If their rules allow towing, well...
Old 04-16-2018, 03:20 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by aklim
Around certain counties here, failed emissions means you cannot register the car. So when your tags are about to expire, you are told to report to a place to get it checked. It fails the check and the station doesn't transmit a pass code to the DMV. That means you cannot register the car until it passes. Some places might tie registration to a mechanical inspection. IDK but it is possible. You don't pass, you don't renew. You don't renew, you are riding on expired tags. If their rules allow towing, well...
So
The OP doesn't say his registration is expired. Only his inspection.
Did the inspection suddenly expire when getting reinspected?
Old 04-16-2018, 07:09 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
This thread has concluded. The OP has his car inspected. Cool.

Even though his 85 is not a "Z51" many 85's had option FG3, "Bilstein Shocks". I'm not positive, but I believe the FG3 and Z51's Bilsteins are the same shock. Non-bilsten cars have a black Delco shock.

One poster asked "how do the bushings look?". I have seen numerous shocks leak oil that softens and ruins the bushings.
I don't see moderator next to your name
Old 04-16-2018, 07:16 PM
Steven Haffley
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow this thread is getting crazy, it was so positive at first now it's turning into a fight.

The small area I live in is strict, when I was 18 years old I got a $107 fine for having a headlight go out on me while I was going home from work in my v6 camaro, if you try to fight the fine you'll lose since the magistrate is a former police chief, and he, the town lawyers, and police probably all hang out at the same bar.

My car was inspected, but it only has an emissions sticker as the mechanic ironically didn't receive the inspection stickers for may for the regular inspection from the state yet. So though I have a receipt and the car is legally inspected I still won't drive it until they get the inspection stickers.

One more thing, as for the bushings I'm going to have them checked as well, I just wanted it inspected for now. I have to have a spring replaced on the rear drivers side as the car is starting to sag a little on that side and the alignment shop said there is a spring that is causing it to lean like that.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:41 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

The small area I live in is strict, when I was 18 years old I got a $107 fine for having a headlight go out on me while I was going home from work in my v6 camaro, if you try to fight the fine you'll lose since the magistrate is a former police chief, and he, the town lawyers, and police probably all hang out at the same bar.

My car was inspected, but it only has an emissions sticker as the mechanic ironically didn't receive the inspection stickers for may for the regular inspection from the state yet. So though I have a receipt and the car is legally inspected I still won't drive it until they get the inspection stickers.

One more thing, as for the bushings I'm going to have them checked as well, I just wanted it inspected for now. I have to have a spring replaced on the rear drivers side as the car is starting to sag a little on that side and the alignment shop said there is a spring that is causing it to lean like that.
Even if they didn't and you go in front of the magistrate claiming you were doing 50 and the cop says 75, unless you have a ton of proof, I don't see you being believed.

So you have to have BOTH emissions and inspection? Without both the DMV won't renew?

Do you know what bushings are affected? If it is the lower one with a "bar" through it, IDK if I can help you. OTOH, if it is the upper ones and they are similar, maybe I can help. I don't know why I ended up with 2 sets of upper ones for the front and rears.

https://www.zip-corvette.com/89-95-f...ings-poly.html

https://www.zip-corvette.com/89-95-f...ings-poly.html

I have no idea if they are similar to what I have

Edit: Probably not going to work since you don't have FX3. Never mind. Thought it was a good way to get rid of them

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...shock-bushings

Last edited by aklim; 04-16-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:21 PM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Wow this thread is getting crazy, it was so positive at first now it's turning into a fight.

Your car has a single rear spring.
Perhaps you need a better shop, or at least one that can properly explain what is wrong, and how it will be fixed.
Maybe they do not understand how the ride height is adjusted.

Marty

Quick Reply: 85 C4 Shock Fiasco