Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 AM
AirGhost
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew95
>Be me.
>I'm 19
>Still live with Mom and Dad
>Planning on (don't even have) a bachelor degree (worthless anyway)
>What kind of C4?

Millennials.
​​​​​>Using meme arrows on the corvette forum
>Doesn't know what I'm getting my degree in just assumes it's worthless either way ( NOT TRYING TO DIMINISH ANYONE ELSES DEGREE IN ANY OTHER SUBJECT)
>Pretty sure my Mother alone makes more in a month than what you made in the last 5 years
>Me being a millennial has nothing to do with the way I'm approaching my life choices, I could have asked for my parents to pay for everything, sure. but I'd rather work for it. Just because younger generations have slightly more opportunities than you doesn't mean you should be jealous and cry about it like a man child
>Being less mature than a millennial btw
Old 04-16-2018, 10:50 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Lol ...
Old 04-16-2018, 11:06 AM
naturaldisaster3
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AirGhost
Hmm i think you might be right in all honesty also on top of that i am trying to save as much money as i can so i can try and buy a plot of land and build my own house by my late twenties. Do you have a second car since corvettes only have two seats? I feel like maybe in the future once i have everything settled i can buy a corvette as a weekend care and for now just buy like some Honda Civic just like all of the other people my age :p even though I'd prefer something that not every single person in my college drives. I can't tell you how many honda civics, accords and toyota camrys i see at my college
I'm 25 and have 2 cars.. A 98' Corvette (29K miles) and a '98 Firebird (150K miles DD since i was 17) the best part of having 2 seats is that you never have to drive your friends around.. lol If I were you, I would wait.. buy a practical car now for cheap and then spend some time researching and looking for a corvette that you truly want. Don't just dive into one because you want one, find the one that best fits what you want in a car.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:47 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,928 Posts

​​​​​Doesn't know what I'm getting my degree in just assumes it's worthless either way ( NOT TRYING TO DIMINISH ANYONE ELSES DEGREE IN ANY OTHER SUBJECT)

Pretty sure my Mother alone makes more in a month than what you made in the last 5 years

Just because younger generations have slightly more opportunities than you doesn't mean you should be jealous and cry about it like a man child

Being less mature than a millennial btw
To me, that a person has a 4 year degree from an accredited college shows me that they can stick to a path. When I hire you, I'm investing in you so I need to know that you are worthy of my time and money. If not, fawk off and I'll get the next guy. I need to know you can learn something that I might have to teach you. I need to know you can do the electives that might be boring instead of just doing what you want. That is what the degree tells me.

I'm ready to be adopted by her.

IMO, part of it stems from the older generation not understanding the younger generation nor is adaptable to the new technology. For example, my mother uses a land line. She is too old for a cell phone, never mind a smart phone. This woman was the first Agriculture Grad in the country a lifetime ago. She also got her Masters in Education at 50ish. OTOH, my father has learned how to use the smart phone to a lesser extent than most because his business demands it. Why does she have to dial each number instead of speed dial but my father can master it? She is educated so only conclusion is refusal to learn. IOW Obsoleted. The other part is the previous generation selfishly "voted themselves raises" and now they get to say "When I was young, we had to.....".

That you have socked away money and living with the parents (not an easy task) while you are getting a degree and checking out whether it is a smart buy or not gives some credibility to you statement.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:51 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by naturaldisaster3
the best part of having 2 seats is that you never have to drive your friends around.. lol
Why is that an issue? As one of my friends did, put a plaque in the car that says "This car runs on 93 octane gas NOT 'Thank You'". I'm not an Uber driver so my giving rides are on a case by case basis. If you are a hottie wearing a bikini or less, I can ride you... I mean, give you a ride.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:03 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

It's been said above but it is worth repeating.

Get something rock solid to get you to work. I have driven Honda Civics since I have had my first job over 20 years ago. Reliability covers your paycheck.

You are well ahead of many people your age and I can tell that you have a good chance to be even further ahead with the magic of compounding on your investments when you get to be my age (late forties). I had similar thoughts to yours when I was young. Today I have 2 corvettes and don't sweat it when one needs to be down for a longer project.

These cars are fun but are probably past the age for being considered a reliable daily driver if only for the fact that it takes several days to get some parts from suppliers.

You sound smart, just make sure you don't regret your decision, whatever it is.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:05 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by aklim
Why is that an issue? As one of my friends did, put a plaque in the car that says "This car runs on 93 octane gas NOT 'Thank You'". I'm not an Uber driver so my giving rides are on a case by case basis. If you are a hottie wearing a bikini or less, I can ride you... I mean, give you a ride.
Back when I was in high school (I know back in the stoned ages) folks had plaques for their cars that read;

"***,Gas or Grass, Nobody rides for free".
Old 04-16-2018, 12:05 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SLVRSHRK
These cars are fun but are probably past the age for being considered a reliable daily driver if only for the fact that it takes several days to get some parts from suppliers.
ASSUMING you can get it and it isn't obsolete. In which case, you have to cannibalize it from another car and might get something that looks worse than what you are taking out, not sure if it will work, and the searching process goes on.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:07 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by drcook
Back when I was in high school (I know back in the stoned ages) folks had plaques for their cars that read;

"***,Gas or Grass, Nobody rides for free".
If you are a guy, it will be Gas or Grass. Nothing wrong with driving on both sides of the road but it isn't my choice of things to do.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:50 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

If you are a guy, it will be Gas or Grass. Nothing wrong with driving on both sides of the road but it isn't my choice of things to do.
My sentiments exactly
Old 04-16-2018, 01:12 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

​​​​​>Using meme arrows on the corvette forum
>Doesn't know what I'm getting my degree in just assumes it's worthless either way ( NOT TRYING TO DIMINISH ANYONE ELSES DEGREE IN ANY OTHER SUBJECT)
>Pretty sure my Mother alone makes more in a month than what you made in the last 5 years
>Me being a millennial has nothing to do with the way I'm approaching my life choices, I could have asked for my parents to pay for everything, sure. but I'd rather work for it. Just because younger generations have slightly more opportunities than you doesn't mean you should be jealous and cry about it like a man child
>Being less mature than a millennial btw
AAAAANNNNNNDDDD Were OFF!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:18 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

lol ...
Old 04-16-2018, 01:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pologreen1
AAAAANNNNNNDDDD Were OFF!
Said the bikini top to the bottom, hopefully.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:37 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I figured it's worth chiming in from the opposite side of the table, I'm the fella who's already made his deal with the devil way early on. I'd probably be what you will if you decide to buy it, so here's a look at what it'll be like. I guess you could say I'm one of your potential future's

I'm 19 too (20 this July which feels kinda weird), my younger sister lives with me but our mother helps us out with rent now that she's able to. As of a few years ago I beat on a 92 K1500 that's been with us since it came off the lot until I got sensible and learned to be gentler with it. I worked to help mom with the bills for her car, insurance, and the apartment we rented for a while after her and my dad split, then after high school I tried to start putting myself through college too.

Thankfully things got somewhat better for us financially a little while after, and I figured I'd get a new (to me) car that was something I wanted, something that was different from what everybody else drove. I worked on a few deals and leaned on some friends and eventually ended up with the 94 I drive now on a budget that was just tight enough to pay for it. Surprisingly, after we added the vette to the policy and switched the truck to a weekend driver, the total insurance for us went down about $12 for the whole 6 months.

I paid 4.5k for it and it had 132k miles at the time. It started giving me hell right afterwards, and hasn't really let up since. I thought I knew a lot about working on cars beforehand (just like every other kid out of high school), but quickly realized that a) I knew next to nothing about them and b) This wasn't a great financial decision. But as I've learned and worked on her throughout the last year, I've also realized a third thing: c) She's a handful and not always the most reliable vehicle, but darn she's fun to be in and is great for creating new experiences and teaching you all sorts of lessons

There's a reason people drive the same car in college - it's because it works pretty much all the time and will get you from point A to point B no matter what. If you've never owned your own car before and want something super reliable that'll get you through every day, then yea, you're gonna want to get the same Toyota Corolla or Nissan Altima as your study group buddies, because that's the best decision for your plan right now. But if you really really want a corvette as your primary, so much that you're willing to get up to your elbows in engine muck and explain to your professor why you won't make it to class on time or tell your boss why you won't make it to work today, then go for it I'm not saying that it works out for everybody, there's lots of old projects or sports cars on eBay and Craigslist whose descriptions reads somewhere "Life got in the way", " I have kids and now I've got to sell it" or "Just don't have time for it anymore, make me an offer" - it's a gamble, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. It may have been a stupid decision on my part, and sure I'm only 19 (almost 20), but I'm pretty happy with what I have and wouldn't have it any other way

I'm not saying don't have a plan, because plans are great steps to moving above the average workfolk, accomplishing what you want to accomplish and getting that Ferrari, summer boat or big house you've always wanted - and if you can follow it through then all the more to ya. I'd love to have a plan of what I want to do - it just so happens that I couldn't really come up with a plan, so I bought a corvette instead

That being said, does the coolant temp reading shown in the picture look sketchy to anyone else...? I would think that it being that far over the mark, the oil temp should have a higher reading by now, but I could be wrong. It's a nice looking car, but not even close to 9500 nice. If you're gonna get a Vette, don't be afraid to look in other towns, cities, or even states - there's a whole ton of different ones out there in as good or better condition for a lesser price, you just have to sift through them and figure out what you want in it. Though don't forget you don't have to buy a Vette to be part of the family - you've just got to appreciate them.

And as always, Welcome to the Forum!
The following users liked this post:
AirGhost (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 04:45 PM
AirGhost
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KenMathisHD
I figured it's worth chiming in from the opposite side of the table, I'm the fella who's already made his deal with the devil way early on. I'd probably be what you will if you decide to buy it, so here's a look at what it'll be like. I guess you could say I'm one of your potential future's

I'm 19 too (20 this July which feels kinda weird), my younger sister lives with me but our mother helps us out with rent now that she's able to. As of a few years ago I beat on a 92 K1500 that's been with us since it came off the lot until I got sensible and learned to be gentler with it. I worked to help mom with the bills for her car, insurance, and the apartment we rented for a while after her and my dad split, then after high school I tried to start putting myself through college too.

Thankfully things got somewhat better for us financially a little while after, and I figured I'd get a new (to me) car that was something I wanted, something that was different from what everybody else drove. I worked on a few deals and leaned on some friends and eventually ended up with the 94 I drive now on a budget that was just tight enough to pay for it. Surprisingly, after we added the vette to the policy and switched the truck to a weekend driver, the total insurance for us went down about $12 for the whole 6 months.

I paid 4.5k for it and it had 132k miles at the time. It started giving me hell right afterwards, and hasn't really let up since. I thought I knew a lot about working on cars beforehand (just like every other kid out of high school), but quickly realized that a) I knew next to nothing about them and b) This wasn't a great financial decision. But as I've learned and worked on her throughout the last year, I've also realized a third thing: c) She's a handful and not always the most reliable vehicle, but darn she's fun to be in and is great for creating new experiences and teaching you all sorts of lessons

There's a reason people drive the same car in college - it's because it works pretty much all the time and will get you from point A to point B no matter what. If you've never owned your own car before and want something super reliable that'll get you through every day, then yea, you're gonna want to get the same Toyota Corolla or Nissan Altima as your study group buddies, because that's the best decision for your plan right now. But if you really really want a corvette as your primary, so much that you're willing to get up to your elbows in engine muck and explain to your professor why you won't make it to class on time or tell your boss why you won't make it to work today, then go for it I'm not saying that it works out for everybody, there's lots of old projects or sports cars on eBay and Craigslist whose descriptions reads somewhere "Life got in the way", " I have kids and now I've got to sell it" or "Just don't have time for it anymore, make me an offer" - it's a gamble, but that doesn't mean it's not fun. It may have been a stupid decision on my part, and sure I'm only 19 (almost 20), but I'm pretty happy with what I have and wouldn't have it any other way

I'm not saying don't have a plan, because plans are great steps to moving above the average workfolk, accomplishing what you want to accomplish and getting that Ferrari, summer boat or big house you've always wanted - and if you can follow it through then all the more to ya. I'd love to have a plan of what I want to do - it just so happens that I couldn't really come up with a plan, so I bought a corvette instead

That being said, does the coolant temp reading shown in the picture look sketchy to anyone else...? I would think that it being that far over the mark, the oil temp should have a higher reading by now, but I could be wrong. It's a nice looking car, but not even close to 9500 nice. If you're gonna get a Vette, don't be afraid to look in other towns, cities, or even states - there's a whole ton of different ones out there in as good or better condition for a lesser price, you just have to sift through them and figure out what you want in it. Though don't forget you don't have to buy a Vette to be part of the family - you've just got to appreciate them.

And as always, Welcome to the Forum!
Holy **** this story not just opened my eyes but with you saying "one of your potential future's" and than reading the rest of the story really made me realize it'd be better to just continue what i was planning on doing and just save more money, honestly think this post was probably the best advice wasn't expecting it at all thanks a lot. If there was some type of reddit gold on this site I'd give it to you, thanks man
Old 04-16-2018, 04:51 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Holy **** this story not just opened my eyes but with you saying "one of your potential future's" and than reading the rest of the story really made me realize it'd be better to just continue what i was planning on doing and just save more money, honestly think this post was probably the best advice wasn't expecting it at all thanks a lot. If there was some type of reddit gold on this site I'd give it to you, thanks man
Np, sorry I couldn't condense that into less of a novel than it was lol. Best of luck to ya!
Old 04-16-2018, 05:10 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Keep looking. While that car does appear in good condition, it is worth that asking price ONLY if the seller has a stack of receipts for new parts including distributor, water pump, spark plugs & wires, heater core, tires, shock absorbers, rear wheel bearings, weatherstripping, transmission gasket & filter, a few select suspension bushings, etc etc. ALL of these things should have already been replaced in a 24 year old Corvette with 144k miles. If these haven't been replaced already, you can plan on doing it/paying for it yourself which will total around $2200, just for parts.
Without a solid source of income, may I suggest a Camry or Corolla until you are out of college and your financial situation stabilizes. Then shop for the more expensive toys you've been wanting. You can have toys now, just keep the prices down. My $0.02

My situation: daily driver is a 2006 Toyota pickup -- reliable as a hammer but no fun to drive. Garage has room for all vehicles, otherwise I never would have bought the Corvette. Can't stand the idea of such a cool car sitting outside in the rain and dust all the time -- even with a car cover, it's just not the same as an enclosed garage.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some advice on a corvette I want

Old 04-17-2018, 09:03 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I think this is the old game of pricing high and letting you talk him down to his acceptable number. Look at this. You are getting your BS or BA in 3 years. You never owned a car before and for a Corvette, the insurance probably is higher for your age group. I'd really forget about it and buy yourself something reliable. In NY, you have snow. This might not be the car for you in the snow. If you must buy a Corvette, buy in the fall. Right now, he can get people in and make them do stupid things because of the Corvette Fever.

Spot-on!
Old 04-17-2018, 12:34 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Hmm i think you might be right in all honesty also on top of that i am trying to save as much money as i can so i can try and buy a plot of land and build my own house by my late twenties. Do you have a second car since corvettes only have two seats? I feel like maybe in the future once i have everything settled i can buy a corvette as a weekend care and for now just buy like some Honda Civic just like all of the other people my age :p even though I'd prefer something that not every single person in my college drives. I can't tell you how many honda civics, accords and toyota camrys i see at my college
Smart thinking grasshopper, Take your time & build your future.you can always get 1 later.but as you can see most people store them in the winter on the east coast.Let it be your 2nd car & find something to drive thur the snow/potholes and when you build your house,add a garage then get a C4 now you will have a place to store it & work on it during the cold months.Just my 0.02 cents
Old 04-17-2018, 12:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C5 4me
Smart thinking grasshopper, Take your time & build your future.you can always get 1 later.but as you can see most people store them in the winter on the east coast.Let it be your 2nd car & find something to drive thur the snow/potholes and when you build your house,add a garage then get a C4 now you will have a place to store it & work on it during the cold months.Just my 0.02 cents
Not really. I have a sure fire investment for him. There is this oceanfront property in AZ we could get. I got the connections. All he needs is to supply the money. In cash and non sequential $20 bills. High yield too. I also am helping a friend sell this bridge. One user, well maintained.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some advice on a corvette I want