C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need some advice on a corvette I want

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 01:15 PM
AirGhost
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on a corvette I want

Hello, just made this account today been browsing on here for a little while now, I'm 19 and have saved a lot. I've put money into a Roth IRA for my future, No debt, I do plan on moving out in the next 3 years though once i have my bachelor's degree and can start on my career. I was wondering if this corvette is fine for a first car I've never had a car before also i feel like it's little pricey for a c4 corvette because from what i've seen on this forum c4 corvettes shouldn't really be over 6k, I would like to know your opinions on it. Thank you for reading.

​​​​​​https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...84219182199877
Old 04-14-2018, 09:31 PM
Palanon
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks to be in good shape based on the few pictures. Price probably reflects the area pricing. Have you looked around for prices of similar year, mileage and options? Is this going to be a daily driver in NY? Do you have access to or plans for another car? For that price and year you should, if your dead set on it, have it gone through by a trusted mechanic who is familiar with the car. Bushings, bearings, etc. can be worn or rotting.

Plus, there's always the option of shopping for one in a lower priced market. There is a lot to consider. Even insurance cost for a sports car at your age. There really is an awful lot of things to be considered in the purchase.

Last edited by Palanon; 04-14-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:36 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

First, welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you have a solid plan for your future going forward, and the C4 would be a great platform as your first sports car.

The one you linked does appear to be a bit high for the mileage and what is shown in the photos.

Take your time in your search, there are many others available with lower mileage and pricing, may need to expand your search area as well.

Last edited by rkj427; 04-14-2018 at 09:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AirGhost (04-15-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 10:18 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Appears nice and clean but thats a buttload of miles. Could last a long time could take a dump sooner than you hope. Any old car could do that though. I wouldnt pay that much (flame suit on).
Yes the "right" C4 can bring more than 6k but imo that one is overpriced.
There are plenty of ones just as clean with a lot less miles on them in that range.
GM only made a bazillion C4s so be patient, look past the shiny paint and really examine the rest;on the flip side there are lower mile cars that are junk too. They arent going up in value any time soon so be picky.

Id budget a grand or two on top of your purchase price no matter what you buy, most used cars will need something.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:22 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

9500 for a car with 144k is a crack smoker price.
Ill sell you mine that is in excellent shape with half the mileage for 9k.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:14 AM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

That car is way overpriced. I wouldn't recommend a C4 as your main car that you need depend on. Old cars break and these cars are old now. I bought my car with 70k miles a few years ago. I have over 1k alone in just parts for the car. If I couldn't do the work myself I would have over 3k in mechanic repair bills. If you can even find one you trust to work on it.

Honestly, in your position if you have about 10k in cash to pay for a car I would look at something that is 3-4 years old with 40k miles or less. My daily driver is Chevy Cruze LS because they devalue like bricks in the first few years. You can always get the flashy car a little later. If you're already investing then you're a million miles ahead of everyone else. It sounds like you're on the right track and having a car like this when it makes financial sense won't be long for you. I bought my 96 with cash when I was 27 and you may be able to do it sooner.

Last edited by haxxx; 04-15-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:25 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

IMO the car is over priced for the miles on it. You also mention this is your first car, another thing is depending on your driving experience a Corvette could be a handful for your first vehicle. Also depending on what you have for winter driving it could be a handful on poor roads. It's also a over 20 year old car so you have to consider maintenance and repairs.

Not saying it's a bad decision but it's one you need to carefully think through. You might want to consider something a little less exotic for your first vehicle till you get out of college and have the time and space for a Vette.

You seem to have a level head and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever decision you make.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:36 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought a '96 auto coupe with $154k on it close to NY city for $4k about six months ago. It had a few issues but fixed em myself and saved money. Price is way too high. There are others here that will tell you that's a fair price, they're either living in fantasy land or just trying to see the price of C4's appreciate. Supply and demand, there are just too many still out there. On a positive note you won't find a better performance platform for the money right now. Do some searching, lot's of C4's for sale in your area.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:02 AM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I agree with all the above. Not a bad looking car, but too many miles for that price.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:46 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

paco Im considering picking up a neighbors 96.
Super clean in/out roughly 80k mi. Very nice interior, paint, chromed Sawblades new tires trans etc.

They want 4k....thought it was a good buy but did see 2 similar on CL that are in just as good of shape same price. amazed at how cheap these get...The ones that get upset probably own the same thing and reality bursts their bubble..or they are simply priced higher based on location.

SoCal or Arizona is a great place to look for these cars, in fact all cars are way cheaper in AZ. People have less money and they get sunbaked quick
Old 04-15-2018, 02:14 PM
AirGhost
Navigator

Originally Posted by hcbph
IMO the car is over priced for the miles on it. You also mention this is your first car, another thing is depending on your driving experience a Corvette could be a handful for your first vehicle. Also depending on what you have for winter driving it could be a handful on poor roads. It's also a over 20 year old car so you have to consider maintenance and repairs.

Not saying it's a bad decision but it's one you need to carefully think through. You might want to consider something a little less exotic for your first vehicle till you get out of college and have the time and space for a Vette.

You seem to have a level head and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever decision you make.
Hmm i think you might be right in all honesty also on top of that i am trying to save as much money as i can so i can try and buy a plot of land and build my own house by my late twenties. Do you have a second car since corvettes only have two seats? I feel like maybe in the future once i have everything settled i can buy a corvette as a weekend care and for now just buy like some Honda Civic just like all of the other people my age :p even though I'd prefer something that not every single person in my college drives. I can't tell you how many honda civics, accords and toyota camrys i see at my college
Old 04-15-2018, 02:30 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Having a 1500 dollar beater for a daily imo is a smart move its always good to have a backup just in case. Even the best C4s are old, stuff goes bad from age alone. Something to think about.

at some point youll be dumping money into it, it may be down for awhile.
If it is can you still run life with no car?
Old 04-15-2018, 05:14 PM
Drew95
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

>Be me.
>I'm 19
>Still live with Mom and Dad
>Planning on (don't even have) a bachelor degree (worthless anyway)
>What kind of C4?

Millennials.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by AirGhost
Hello, just made this account today been browsing on here for a little while now, I'm 19 and have saved a lot. I've put money into a Roth IRA for my future, No debt, I do plan on moving out in the next 3 years though once i have my bachelor's degree and can start on my career. I was wondering if this corvette is fine for a first car I've never had a car before also i feel like it's little pricey for a c4 corvette because from what i've seen on this forum c4 corvettes shouldn't really be over 6k, I would like to know your opinions on it. Thank you for reading.

​​​​​​https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...84219182199877
I think this is the old game of pricing high and letting you talk him down to his acceptable number. Look at this. You are getting your BS or BA in 3 years. You never owned a car before and for a Corvette, the insurance probably is higher for your age group. I'd really forget about it and buy yourself something reliable. In NY, you have snow. This might not be the car for you in the snow. If you must buy a Corvette, buy in the fall. Right now, he can get people in and make them do stupid things because of the Corvette Fever.
AirGhost (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:37 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

It used to have a lower price a week or so ago. The car is not in bad shape, the paint has a gloss to it that says the car has been taken car of.

BUT, as the folks above have said, AND,

most likely needs new rear bearings, and the special washer is sold out again, I am trying to get through to see if they are back orderable, most likely needs a radiator, who knows about the transmission, I have read articles about high mileage autos wearing out the thrust face on the crank, etc etc etc.

without going through the car, it could take 0.00 or it could take a couple grand to make it a reliable daily transportation car.

plus, as others have said, and living in the NE myself, these are NOT winter mobiles.

low mileage Cruzes are available. ours dropped 50% book value in 2 years.

Last edited by drcook; 04-15-2018 at 07:43 PM.
AirGhost (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 07:48 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

You need 2 cars.
get your daily driver first. It doesnt need to be expensive , just reliable. Not sure if you have winters but no way in the corvette.

not sure if you have the space for 2 cars (i know i didnt when i was 19 and 3 hrs away from home in college).

of course i could have simply brought down the Other car for the winter quarter and swapped into the sportscar once spring weather broke. Thats how i would have done it.
, these cars are so cheap its easy to have both.

Beware of the optispark the OEM units
are fully reliable - except 92-94which need a custom vent added.

People run into problems when they try to swap in a non OEM optispark and then sell the car to an unsuspecting buyer bc they cant figure out why it doesnt run right.

any ‘skip’ or hesitation when engine is warmed up is sign of an optispark problem(thats when shortcircuits happen. Less likely when its cold). Especially when warm and going up a hill in too high of a gear. Thats where it will skip or hesistate. Idle problems and or high rpm miss is another sign of optispark trouble.
might want to scan the car for codestoo but beware occasionally bad opti wont always set a code

you also need to make a decision whether 6spd or auto is important to you. I think75-80% of lt1cars are auto. Prob only 10 % of verts are stick.

A stick car will sell for a higher premium than an auto. Prob $1500 more. Good luck !

Last edited by dizwiz24; 04-15-2018 at 07:49 PM.
AirGhost (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 08:02 PM
AirGhost
Navigator

Originally Posted by drcook
It used to have a lower price a week or so ago. The car is not in bad shape, the paint has a gloss to it that says the car has been taken car of.

BUT, as the folks above have said, AND,

most likely needs new rear bearings, and the special washer is sold out again, I am trying to get through to see if they are back orderable, most likely needs a radiator, who knows about the transmission, I have read articles about high mileage autos wearing out the thrust face on the crank, etc etc etc.

without going through the car, it could take 0.00 or it could take a couple grand to make it a reliable daily transportation car.

plus, as others have said, and living in the NE myself, these are NOT winter mobiles.

low mileage Cruzes are available. ours dropped 50% book value in 2 years.

Thank you! Appreciate the reply to my post

Get notified of new replies

To Need some advice on a corvette I want

Old 04-15-2018, 08:04 PM
AirGhost
Navigator

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
You need 2 cars.
get your daily driver first. It doesnt need to be expensive , just reliable. Not sure if you have winters but no way in the corvette.

not sure if you have the space for 2 cars (i know i didnt when i was 19 and 3 hrs away from home in college).

of course i could have simply brought down the Other car for the winter quarter and swapped into the sportscar once spring weather broke. Thats how i would have done it.
, these cars are so cheap its easy to have both.

Beware of the optispark the OEM units
are fully reliable - except 92-94which need a custom vent added.

People run into problems when they try to swap in a non OEM optispark and then sell the car to an unsuspecting buyer bc they cant figure out why it doesnt run right.

any ‘skip’ or hesitation when engine is warmed up is sign of an optispark problem(thats when shortcircuits happen. Less likely when its cold). Especially when warm and going up a hill in too high of a gear. Thats where it will skip or hesistate. Idle problems and or high rpm miss is another sign of optispark trouble.
might want to scan the car for codestoo but beware occasionally bad opti wont always set a code

you also need to make a decision whether 6spd or auto is important to you. I think75-80% of lt1cars are auto. Prob only 10 % of verts are stick.

A stick car will sell for a higher premium than an auto. Prob $1500 more. Good luck !
Thank you! Appreciate it buddy.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:07 PM
AirGhost
Navigator

Originally Posted by aklim
I think this is the old game of pricing high and letting you talk him down to his acceptable number. Look at this. You are getting your BS or BA in 3 years. You never owned a car before and for a Corvette, the insurance probably is higher for your age group. I'd really forget about it and buy yourself something reliable. In NY, you have snow. This might not be the car for you in the snow. If you must buy a Corvette, buy in the fall. Right now, he can get people in and make them do stupid things because of the Corvette Fever.
Right, I was thinking the same thing when it came to that pricing with that car too haha, thank you so much very much for the advice
Old 04-15-2018, 08:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by AirGhost
Right, I was thinking the same thing when it came to that pricing with that car too haha, thank you so much very much for the advice
Spring is here, or so I told. Today I sell it to you for $6000. Come winter $4000

Quick Reply: Need some advice on a corvette I want