C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

fuel pump pulsator

Old 01-23-2010, 10:45 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Default fuel pump pulsator

Who can tell me what size hose I need if I want to replace the pulsator with a piece of fuel hose.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 PM
BobRR3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's 3/8" Make sure you get " fuel injector hose" Rated for 100 PSI not fuel hose tht's only rate 50 PSI
Old 01-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Ronsterizer
Cruising

Default Fuel pulsator

I bought a new fuel pump and it came with the hose to replace the pulsator.The directions said to get rid of the thing.
The following users liked this post:
FAUEE (05-21-2021)
Old 01-23-2010, 12:34 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BobRR3
It's 3/8" Make sure you get " fuel injector hose" Rated for 100 PSI not fuel hose tht's only rate 50 PSI
Thanks that's what I thought but wanted to make sure. I didn't know about the 100 PSI though, thanks!!!

Originally Posted by Ronsterizer
I bought a new fuel pump and it came with the hose to replace the pulsator.The directions said to get rid of the thing.

I thought they may be the case as well, but just in case I wanted to be prepared.

I ordered a Racetronics, complete system, from Thunder Racing on 12/21/09 and it still hasn't came in. Everytime I call them, twice, they tell me tomorrow or at the most 3 days. I think I am just going to town and buy a new pump and sock and just get it done.

I'll either send the thing back if it ever gets here or sell it here on the forum. I really wanted those new bolts that came with the kit though

Thanks guys, I think I am off to Oreilly.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:44 PM
19vette89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didn't take my pulsator out...i just left the thing in there! i was told that you could straight pipe it with some hose. it has never given me any trouble leaving it in.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 19vette89
i didn't take my pulsator out...i just left the thing in there! i was told that you could straight pipe it with some hose. it has never given me any trouble leaving it in.
They have a tendency to split, and when that happens, the car stops running. This usually happens a month after a new fuel pump goes in, just so you get to enjoy the aggravation of taking it apart again.

I too looked at the Racetronics setup a while back. The new bolts for the tank are pricey by themselves making this a real bargain. Let us know how that works out.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:53 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

I don't think the hose is 3/8. more like 7/16".
I just did this 3 months ago, and i'm sure it's not that big.
I took out the pulsator, and my fuel pressure stays up over 30# all night till next morning.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:35 PM
impact1968
Instructor

I used 5/16" on my 1989, and have about 10 and 1/2" left from the foot long piece of fuel injection hose i used.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:01 PM
FOXX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
Thanks that's what I thought but wanted to make sure. I didn't know about the 100 PSI though, thanks!!!

I thought they may be the case as well, but just in case I wanted to be prepared.

I ordered a Racetronics, complete system, from Thunder Racing on 12/21/09 and it still hasn't came in. Everytime I call them, twice, they tell me tomorrow or at the most 3 days. I think I am just going to town and buy a new pump and sock and just get it done.

I'll either send the thing back if it ever gets here or sell it here on the forum. I really wanted those new bolts that came with the kit though

Thanks guys, I think I am off to Oreilly.
If it ever comes in, pm me> I might buy it before I go down to the parts store and buy an oem one. I have a 93.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:58 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What does the Pulsator do? And why would you replace it with a piece of hose instead of with a new Pulsator?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
What does the Pulsator do?
Supposed to absorb fuel pump "pulsations", thus reducing noise. I've never been able to tell a difference one way or the other.

Originally Posted by joshwilson3

And why would you replace it with a piece of hose instead of with a new Pulsator?
Durability. FI hose will outlive 3 pulsators. And while I'm sure you can order a pulsator at the parts counter, what does a 3" piece of FI hose cost?

Last edited by Frizlefrak; 01-24-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:18 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
Supposed to absorb fuel pump "pulsations", thus reducing noise. I've never been able to tell a difference one way or the other.

Durability. FI hose will outlive 3 pulsators. And while I'm sure you can order a pulsator at the parts counter, what does a 3" piece of FI hose cost?
Good to know. I guess if I ever have to pull the pump out. I'll just put a piece of hose in place of the Pulsator. What type of clamps do you use? Regular hose clamps or something like stainless steel?
Old 01-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

I just used regular and double clamped it. 5 years, so far, so good.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by impact1968
I used 5/16" on my 1989, and have about 10 and 1/2" left from the foot long piece of fuel injection hose i used.

Actually it turned out to be 5/16.

Originally Posted by FOXX
If it ever comes in, pm me> I might buy it before I go down to the parts store and buy an oem one. I have a 93.
Will do.

They have a tendency to split, and when that happens, the car stops running. This usually happens a month after a new fuel pump goes in, just so you get to enjoy the aggravation of taking it apart again.

I too looked at the Racetronics setup a while back. The new bolts for the tank are pricey by themselves making this a real bargain. Let us know how that works out.
Okay,

I replaced the pump and found out the pulsator was no longer on the car, if it ever was. The FSM talks about either the coupling hose or the pulsator so I don't know if they all came with a pulsator or not.

it didn't fix my problem like I was hoping but it was worth a shot since I didn't mind replacing the pump anyway and I didn't know if it had ever been replaced. (PO never kept a file or if he did he didn't give it to me)

One foot of submersible 5/16 hose cost me 26 bucks. So the Racetronics setup is a real bargain, but I won't be using it. If anyone wants to make me an offer, if it ever comes in you may do so. (I will PM Foxx to see if he wants it)

Now what it did fix was my initial fuel pressure. I did have only 10Lb at prime and fell like a rock. I now have 50 and falls like a rock. So I am losing pressure either at the injectors or the reg I would say.

The car runs like a champ if you give it just slight pedal, but will not idle at all. Any ideas?

I may just take it to the dealer and let then diagnose it for me. I am about sick of screwing with it.

I also realized last night my registration runs out at the end of the month. I tried to reregister it on line last night and realized my inspection was 5 days past the 60 day limit. I parked it in early Dec and just totally forgot about the registration until yesterday.

One after the other, and on it goes.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Now what it did fix was my initial fuel pressure. I did have only 10Lb at prime and fell like a rock. I now have 50 and falls like a rock. So I am losing pressure either at the injectors or the reg I would say.
Let's take the regulator out of the equations....Pinch off the return line with vice grips. Run the key on prime test and tell me what it does. I'm betting your pressure rises and holds. Now when you replaced the pump, you made absolutely certain everything inside the tank was clamped and tight, correct? No obstructions in the pressure line to the rail (filter, crimped line, etc?)

I don't think an injector(s) is leaking to that degree or it would be running pig rich and you would be getting black smoke. Pull your plugs and look for a fuel fouled plug or two. If you have a leaking injector, it will be obvious.

You can test them as well....just need an assistant. Leave your return line pinched, have your helper either key on or energize terminal G on the ALDL, and as soon as the rail primes, pinch off the pressure line and have your helper immediately cut power to the pump (do not deadhead the pump). With both your pressure and return lines pinched, there is only one place left for the fuel to go....if your pressure bleeds down then, it's going into the intake.

The car runs like a champ if you give it just slight pedal, but will not idle at all. Any ideas?

I may just take it to the dealer and let then diagnose it for me. I am about sick of screwing with it.
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Fuel system diagnosis is simple....there really isn't much to it. We'll get it.....
Old 01-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Oh....and the will not idle thing....If it's still there when we resolve the fuel system issue, two things come immediately to mind. First, hook up a vacuum gauge and tell me how many inches of vacuum you have at idle. The second is your IAC. The IAC can be removed and cleaned. If you have no vacuum leaks, and the IAC is functioning normally, then we need to test the EGR. You have a Factory Service Manual, correct?

Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on this engine?
Old 01-25-2010, 02:04 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Oh....and the will not idle thing....If it's still there when we resolve the fuel system issue, two things come immediately to mind. First, hook up a vacuum gauge and tell me how many inches of vacuum you have at idle. The second is your IAC. The IAC can be removed and cleaned. If you have no vacuum leaks, and the IAC is functioning normally, then we need to test the EGR. You have a Factory Service Manual, correct?

Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on this engine?
it has just over 61K. I did try the fuel line/return line pinch test. The only place I could find to pinch the damn things were at the fuel tank. I know there is supposed to be a flexible portion to these lines closer to the engine bay but I couldn't Find the dang things. When I pinched the lines at the tank, according to my wife, nothing happened at any location.

I have zero idle but runs like a champ with a little throttle. I did take the plugs out on the drivers side of the engine and all the plugs were carbon fouled but no visible signs of fuel. I didn't try the pass side because I got tired of screwing with it for the day.

All lines at the [pump were good. At least through a visual inspection. All are tightly clamp.

I actually think I may have two issues going on here.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 01-25-2010 at 02:07 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To fuel pump pulsator

Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Have you pulled the reg vacuum line and checked for signs of fuel ?
The pinch tests should isolate the problem area. I pinch at the tank, using some tubing over my needle nose vise grips. If they are not pinched off 99.9%, your going to have a problem.

Last edited by AGENT 86; 01-25-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AGENT 86
Have you pulled the reg vacuum line and checked for signs of fuel ?
The pinch tests should isolate the problem area. I pinch at the tank, using some tubing over my needle nose vise grips. If they are not pinched off 99.9%, your going to have a problem.
I did check for fuel at the reg and didn't notice any.

I am going to try and pinch the lines again and see what happens. Trying to make my wife understand what I'm looking for, at the gauge, is like trying trying to turn this thing into a C6. But I will try a different method.

The pressure drops like a rock and I don't see how that could be injectors because it would smoke like a freight train at start up if that was the case. I still think it is the reg or maybe they gave me a faulty pump.

It won't idle but if I give it just the slightest throttle it is ok and runs like a champ, like I said.

One more try and off to the dealer it goes.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

OK, you need to pinch off the return line somewhere closer to the rail. On my 84, the two solid fuel lines run under the passenger side of the car and come up into the engine compartment near the front of the frame rail, where two rubber lines connect to the solid lines that go to the intake. I'm not sure on your TPI if they're in the same spot, but look for them. This is where you want to pinch off the line. Doing it at the tank leaves a loooonnng line before you get a solid liquid lock.

If you don't have any smoke or fuel fouled plugs, it's unlikely you have a substantial injector leak. The pressure is dropping off either through the regulator, or back through a faulty check valve in the fuel pump. I suspect the former. We need to get it out of the equation and see what happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: fuel pump pulsator