Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

First show in my 94 this weekend, any last minute tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 09:08 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default First show in my 94 this weekend, any last minute tips?

Hey guys! I've got a 94 base that I've had for a year now, and I'm finally taking her to her first show out in Boerne this weekend. I've been trying to keep her clean all week, though I'm somewhat lost on what I should do to help the interior out - I haven't dared use Armorall, it left a rather greasy finish in my truck and secondary DD, and left a haze on the windshield. I saw somewhere that someone recommended Lexol for use on the seats, though I'm not quite sure what to use on the dash that will keep it clean and good looking but won't leave a haze on the windshield.

I've only ever been to a couple of small car meets out in Boerne, but I've never shown my car before - do y'all have any advice on things I should do or bring to help make this a great first show? She's not perfect, but I figured it's time I get out of my cave and meet the local Vette family. I've got a UV resistant shirt, a ballcap, some chairs and a few bottles of water I've thrown in the fridge - just not sure what else to bring!

Thanks alot y'all!
~Ken
Old 04-18-2018, 09:33 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,276 Likes on 862 Posts

Just show up and have fun. The instant you start stressing about how clean the car is, the fun goes away.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:32 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I just wipe it down with a damp cloth. Call it a day.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:56 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Like they said.
Make her pretty and relax. Have fun.
And open the hood! seeing all that stuff and the tires is a departure from conventional hoods.

Enjoy
Old 04-19-2018, 08:01 AM
91 black convert
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with opening the hood. That clamshell hood makes the car stand out from the crowd.

I also agree with not using Armoall on the dash. Lots of folks are pleased with using Pledge on the dash. Clean but not greasy.

Don’t put anything greasy on the tires either, because with that hood open it’s real easy to rub your pants up against the tires, and that greasy stuff gets on you pant legs and won’t come out.

Also, if it is a judged show, know the rules. Know about whether the doors have to be open, the targa top has to be in, or if a convert, the top needs to be up, etc...

It’s a great time to meet other Corvette lovers. You can do that just by standing by your car, or by walking around and seeing all the other nice cars. Also when walking around, you will get ideas about things you might want to do to your car, as well as ways to show it off.

But the main thing is to have fun!
Old 04-19-2018, 08:14 AM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Park, open the hood, open a beer next, relax and enjoy.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:48 PM
sprink94
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 76 Posts

Get a Fire Extinguisher and put it next to the car. Judges award extra points for safety equipment...it may make a difference between you and the next closest car in the judging. Also...take a car duster to keep the dust off...I have had my California Car Duster for over 30 years and it still works great !!
Old 04-19-2018, 05:16 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

If you open the hood, don't forget to unplug the underhood lights. It is on the left side, follow the wires. I have a switch for turning mine off and on.

Get some Mother's Mag Wheel polish and shine up the aluminum under the hood. An hour of so work will make it stand out. Clean the bottom of the hood. I then used Back to Black on mine and went over the rubber hoses.

Just make it look nice.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:34 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I wish I had as much time as you guys do to worry about how my car looks at a car show that means nothing and a chance to win a two dollar trophy
Old 04-19-2018, 05:38 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
I wish I had as much time as you guys do to worry about how my car looks at a car show that means nothing and a chance to win a two dollar trophy
Who gets trophies ? The ones I have gone to are more just for folks showing off their cars. Who wants to go see a dirtied up, corroded car ?

Besides a clean car is easier to work on and maintain.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:03 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Thoughts from a somewhat cranky old guy....as far as what to bring add patience to that list. Go to meet people and not expecting to win an award or trophy. Most shows the award process is political nothing more. If you get caught up comparing your car to others you may come home disappointed. That has a lot to do with why the cars and coffee events have become so popular. They're usually a couple of hours and no awards. It gives the opportunity for car people to get together and share ideas. Plus it doesn't kill the whole day. So go, relax, meet people, have fun, and don't set expectations.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:20 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Wait a minute...... There's a two dollar trophy involved ?!?

Break out the ArmorAll, Denise.....
Old 04-20-2018, 03:44 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Just get it cleaned up best you can honestly. The night before give it a final clean, including the engine bay. Sometimes that means busting out an old toothbush and hitting those spots you missed with a hose. If you really want to get crazy hit any faded black exterior trim pieces with peanut butter. After arriving at car shows that's typically when I will use some quick mist detailer to do a final wipe down, then clean the windows, and finally the tires then wheels. After the engine is cool to the touch I use some wd-40 and hit any black plastics or rubber hoses then wipe off the excess.

Best advice I can give you:
Do not go thinking you will win. If it's a local car show with participant voting and you enter a Corvette class(non C4) of some kind expect newer Corvettes to win.
Walk around, speak to other participants, compliment them on their car and ask them questions.
Half of the fun at shows comes from meeting others and learning the story behind their car. You'd be surprised at the stories you hear, even about the cars that have you scratching your head wondering why it was entered.

Last edited by Not4spd; 04-20-2018 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:03 AM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

A trick I've used for years on the cars I show is to take a quick digital picture of the engine, interior, etc...

Dusty / dirty areas stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:25 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Thanks for all the advice guys! I had a great time at the show this weekend. Was seriously glad I threw some rags in the back - with the rain the show morning the plaza was pretty muddy, so the rags came in handy wiping off the bits of mud and dirt that had gotten thrown up on the door and wheels.
Pledge on the dash really helped clean it up, though I forgot to grab the back to black before I left. Spent a good little while wiping down the bottom of the hood with a damp rag - missed a bunch of dirt I thought I got the day before. I guess next time it'll be a good idea to dry off the bottom of the hood before closing it so I can see what dirt is left over. Any ideas on how to get some of this caked on dirt off the bottom of the hood a little easier?
I ended up leaving the show a little early to bring the girlfriend her car keys - turned out they ended up in the center console of the 'Vette somehow. Wasn't too worried about missing the awards though - there were 6-7 mint C4 show cars there with onlookers gawking at the sparkling paint and reading the plaques some folks brought, but my pride with her is shown by the mileage on the odometer.
I got a ton of nice pics of some really cool show cars there - I'm working on editing them, adjusting the exposure and making the color pop a little more, but as soon as I'm done I'll throw 'em up on here for you guys to see
Can't wait for the next show to come around!
Old 04-22-2018, 06:48 PM
91 black convert
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by KenMathisHD
Thanks for all the advice guys! I had a great time at the show this weekend. Was seriously glad I threw some rags in the back - with the rain the show morning the plaza was pretty muddy, so the rags came in handy wiping off the bits of mud and dirt that had gotten thrown up on the door and wheels.
Pledge on the dash really helped clean it up, though I forgot to grab the back to black before I left. Spent a good little while wiping down the bottom of the hood with a damp rag - missed a bunch of dirt I thought I got the day before. I guess next time it'll be a good idea to dry off the bottom of the hood before closing it so I can see what dirt is left over. Any ideas on how to get some of this caked on dirt off the bottom of the hood a little easier?
I ended up leaving the show a little early to bring the girlfriend her car keys - turned out they ended up in the center console of the 'Vette somehow. Wasn't too worried about missing the awards though - there were 6-7 mint C4 show cars there with onlookers gawking at the sparkling paint and reading the plaques some folks brought, but my pride with her is shown by the mileage on the odometer.
I got a ton of nice pics of some really cool show cars there - I'm working on editing them, adjusting the exposure and making the color pop a little more, but as soon as I'm done I'll throw 'em up on here for you guys to see
Sounds like you followed rule #1. You had fun! That’s great!

BTW, for the underside of the hood I use “tire foam” on a rag.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Last edited by 91 black convert; 04-22-2018 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Add on...
Old 04-22-2018, 09:46 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by KenMathisHD

Congrats on the first show and I'm glad to hear you had a good time. I just noticed you are in Texas. Will you be heading to the Corvette Invasion July 21-22? Car show on the first day and then the 2nd day is driving on the Circuit of Americas. Should be a good time?

https://corvetteinvasion.com/

Get notified of new replies

To First show in my 94 this weekend, any last minute tips?

Old 04-23-2018, 07:00 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Originally Posted by Not4spd
Congrats on the first show and I'm glad to hear you had a good time. I just noticed you are in Texas. Will you be heading to the Corvette Invasion July 21-22? Car show on the first day and then the 2nd day is driving on the Circuit of Americas. Should be a good time?

https://corvetteinvasion.com/
Hadn't heard of it before, though it looks awesome. There's a lot that needs to be done to her before then (all brakes and rotors, interior trim replacements, new radiator, and other odds and ends), but if I can get it done before then I might just see ya there Besides, what better way to celebrate turning 20 than taking the Vette out on a racetrack for the first time (an F1 track at that!)

I don't see a cutoff time for registration on the site - you wouldn't happen to know when the cutoff would be, would you?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:17 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

My to do list for the show I went to on Saturday.
Wash wax vette Friday night. (Also jumped it and that is probably the only way it'll get for the year)
wipe down dash with microfiber
check oil.
Done.
Saturday morning:
fix fuel leak on the 67
fix starter on the 67
gas up the 55
change oil in the 67
add stp to the 55
adjust the carb on the 67
wash the 55
wash the 67
wash the monte
fix the dripping oil pressure sender on the 67
drive to show and pray the battery doesn't die in the 55.

I rolled up to that show looking like I built everything we took that morning lol. The only show I go to with serious judging I usually end up judging so I don't generally win anything. All I know is we rolled in and everyone commented on the 84 calling it an 85. I just laughed. Under the hood was nasty... I haven't cleaned it up since I adjusted the valves so just picture that... Nothing is a show stopper (except the 67) but it needs to be clean at the least... and make it there and back. So what I had to jump the 55.

It sounds like you had fun so that's what matters.

Last edited by 84 4+3; 04-23-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:37 AM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Spent a good few hours editing the photos last night, all 150+ of them. These aren't all of the ones I kept for editing, they're just a few of the ones I'm proud of. I'm working on getting them all uploaded to a public library - once that's done, I'll post a link so you guys can see the rest

C7 Z06

'Murica C5

White 91 Buick Reatta

Our little C4 Lineup

Butterfly Cancer C7 - Awareness Saves Lives

1968 Shelby GT500

Red Crowd

C7 Lineup

'Murica 5th Gen Camaro

Side of a Black C1

First Gen Corvette Logo

Shelby Cobra interior

Shelby Cobra exterior

Quick Reply: First show in my 94 this weekend, any last minute tips?