C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hood Prop Strut Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 12:14 AM
LemansBlueStingray
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Hood Prop Strut Stuck

Has anyone ever had a problem with the hood prop strut getting stuck in the up position? The bottom portion of the strut seems to rotate freely. Any suggestions? Is it easy to replace?

Edit: I should problem mention it is a 93'

Last edited by LemansBlueStingray; 04-21-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:58 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LemansBlueStingray
Has anyone ever had a problem with the hood prop strut getting stuck in the up position? The bottom portion of the strut seems to rotate freely. Any suggestions? Is it easy to replace?
Easy to replace: Prop the hood open fully and securely with a 2x4 of appropriate length, remove failed unit, install new unit, remove 2x4, pop can of libation, done.

What is causing the existing prop to stick? I've never seen one of the later units fail. The early ones were the problems.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:18 PM
LemansBlueStingray
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto
Easy to replace: Prop the hood open fully and securely with a 2x4 of appropriate length, remove failed unit, install new unit, remove 2x4, pop can of libation, done.

What is causing the existing prop to stick? I've never seen one of the later units fail. The early ones were the problems.
I am not 100% sure. When you rotate the bottom portion clockwise the upper section still will not release to allow it to collapse into the bottom section. It is like the upper portion is not releasing off whatever keep it locked in the upright position.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:38 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Can you take a photo of the strut?

My old one was like the top would rest on the bottom and I would have to lift the hood a little then insert it in to the bottom.

I replaced it with a new and 2 small ones on the side and now it basically opens it self .
Old 04-22-2018, 12:32 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LemansBlueStingray
I am not 100% sure. When you rotate the bottom portion clockwise the upper section still will not release to allow it to collapse into the bottom section. It is like the upper portion is not releasing off whatever keep it locked in the upright position.
The top of the lower half of the prop (the cylinder) moves sideways (away from the shaft) to lock the prop open. To unlock, press the top of lower cylinder toward (sideways) the axis of the shaft. Basically the prop is a hydraulic cylinder, it locks by being out of line and unlocks when it is in line. Does it work now?

Last edited by 1984Z51auto; 04-22-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:13 PM
LemansBlueStingray
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Can you take a photo of the strut?

My old one was like the top would rest on the bottom and I would have to lift the hood a little then insert it in to the bottom.

I replaced it with a new and 2 small ones on the side and now it basically opens it self .
Will do. I am traveling for work early this week so give me a couple days.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:16 PM
LemansBlueStingray
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto
The top of the lower half of the prop (the cylinder) moves sideways (away from the shaft) to lock the prop open. To unlock, press the top of lower cylinder toward (sideways) the axis of the shaft. Basically the prop is a hydraulic cylinder, it locks by being out of line and unlocks when it is in line. Does it work now?
Yep. I have opened and closed it a bunch of times and never had an issue. This time it just has no desire to release. I appreciate the help!

Get notified of new replies

To Hood Prop Strut Stuck

Quick Reply: Hood Prop Strut Stuck