C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1990 corvette starter Problems maybe PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 06:19 PM
501c5vette
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1990 corvette starter Problems maybe PLEASE HELP

Well I’m jus getting around to checking the starter. I drive my c4 for months no problems. One day I get in and it won’t start nothing no click no turn over nada . Security light was on so I figured maybe the saks security chip so I have a true GM key cut new chip well security went off but still nothing no click or turn over at all just lights come on dash like before when it started. I got test my starter so I google it and it says it’s on the driver side and will look like a rounded bell . Well all I see is on the passenger side that is by the flywheel I see one bolt and a black wire bolted down no solenoid no bell on the PASSENGER side. Am I nuts I posted a picture or as best as I could get . Am I nuts or is this the starter location on the passenger side? Also if it is the starter usually 3 bolts hold a starter on I see one not coming wire . So if this is the starter how do I remove it . Loosen the nut and unhook the black and Remove the single bolt does it drop with a single bolt and where’s the solenoid? Please help I feel dumb on this and I’ve changed starters on several makes and models always 2 long bolts one short 2 smaller on solenoid and a small wire 3rd on solenoid.it did have a clicking sound under the dash but I put a new battery in and I lr quit . Please help once I figure out what my stater is and where so I can test it. Is there a relay or something else if the starter gets power? Is there a relay or fuse I’m missing. It just hit 100000 it had 96000 when I got it so starter or solenoid May be it . Here is the picture.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:57 PM
Timboshaggy
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 501c5vette
Well I’m jus getting around to checking the starter. I drive my c4 for months no problems. One day I get in and it won’t start nothing no click no turn over nada . Security light was on so I figured maybe the saks security chip so I have a true GM key cut new chip well security went off but still nothing no click or turn over at all just lights come on dash like before when it started. I got test my starter so I google it and it says it’s on the driver side and will look like a rounded bell . Well all I see is on the passenger side that is by the flywheel I see one bolt and a black wire bolted down no solenoid no bell on the PASSENGER side. Am I nuts I posted a picture or as best as I could get . Am I nuts or is this the starter location on the passenger side? Also if it is the starter usually 3 bolts hold a starter on I see one not coming wire . So if this is the starter how do I remove it . Loosen the nut and unhook the black and Remove the single bolt does it drop with a single bolt and where’s the solenoid? Please help I feel dumb on this and I’ve changed starters on several makes and models always 2 long bolts one short 2 smaller on solenoid and a small wire 3rd on solenoid.it did have a clicking sound under the dash but I put a new battery in and I lr quit . Please help once I figure out what my stater is and where so I can test it. Is there a relay or something else if the starter gets power? Is there a relay or fuse I’m missing. It just hit 100000 it had 96000 when I got it so starter or solenoid May be it . Here is the picture.
Hi there. I had the same exact problem. changed starter twice. It's not the starter!!! Mine was a bad battery with a parasitic drain on it. Get a good battery tender/charger. I bet money that is your problem. Keep in touch and let me know. P.S. battery might look good when you put a meter on it but the cranking amps might be bad. Good luck
Old 06-14-2020, 09:55 PM
WarlockIII
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

yeah try what he said
Old 06-14-2020, 10:43 PM
501c5vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by WarlockIII
yeah try what he said
I did bought a battery it’s 1 month old I kept the booster on a trickle then a few hours 40a checked fluid got key
Old 06-14-2020, 10:46 PM
501c5vette
Advanced

I did bought a battery it’s 1 month old I kept the booster on a trickle then a few hours 40a checked fluid got key
previous owner said the radio was draining it making it click. I took the fuse out . It’s ran fine for months woul set 2 weeks start right up. Right now I can go out there some under hood dash will all be bright as can be. Headlights flashers.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:56 PM
501c5vette
Advanced

Default No one

No one really just want to know if that is the starter it looks different than any oher I saw on videos or pictures. I can’t see the solenoid or anything and it’s on my passenger side. It’s the only wired metal component near the flywheel . From running fine starting fine for 3 months no battery drain bought a new battery to see if that’s it. Maybe someone locally will help. Thanks so far I just want to get to the starter to test it.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:01 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

No external solenoid on a Corvette starter. There should be one thin wire and one thick wire going to it. If it is original, then it's probably overdue for replacement.
Your key issue may have been due to the security pellet on your key being dirty and not able to be read.
Old 06-17-2020, 07:06 PM
Skapr1
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So you are sure you got the right "coded" key made? Also could be the "contacts" inside the ignition switch is worn out. If it was me, I'd bypass the VATS system first before replacing starter. But from your post it appears you ruled out a security system issue which is a common no start condition for these vehicles.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:20 AM
501c5vette
Advanced

Default Found it

Originally Posted by Skapr1
So you are sure you got the right "coded" key made? Also could be the "contacts" inside the ignition switch is worn out. If it was me, I'd bypass the VATS system first before replacing starter. But from your post it appears you ruled out a security system issue which is a common no start condition for these vehicles.
found the starter it’s lookin rough thick wire black and thin wire black also. Thing is I don’t have anyone here to turn the key while I chec power. Someone mentioned using a camera phone pointed at a secured test light. Are there relays all I saw were small blade fuses on the side dash. I mean I’ll find it eventually I know good running to nothing can be troubleshooted to the problem
Old 06-18-2020, 02:27 AM
501c5vette
Advanced

Default Relay

One look at the relay location and what I know about the power drain radio fuse out . The horrible install they did on the rear and front speakers I believe something has grounded out due to poor radio installation. I can see a hot wire pushed against a piece of metal bracket I can feel it . That as where the clicking cane from when the battery would drain .
Old 06-19-2020, 03:42 AM
501c5vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Skapr1
yeah it stopped the security light still nothing I believe it’s in the relay or electrical around the relay when they installed a head unit by the ork they did on the speakers I can tell they were awful they had two screws in the 6x9s one mounted directly to the sheet metal other was done right noise canceling pad then speaker from there they stopped caring glued the fronts in lol I had to get a razor to clean them to find the two screws in the front they used I got all fosgate correct sizes for front and back going to lay dynamat on the rear panel both 6x9s keep the head unit just re wire.

the only way to figure it out is go from the starter to battery to ignition and see where it’s crapped out. I’ll probably replace the starter anyways it just hit 100k I got it with 96600 and 400 miles it’s been a good car really . The engine is basically new it had an overheating problem and was rebuilt in 2008 full job machine shop work I got a 3900 bill from the job. They did install a separate temp gauge and oil pressure which I like I think I may pot a sun tach on it since it’s a 6spd

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 corvette starter Problems maybe PLEASE HELP

Quick Reply: 1990 corvette starter Problems maybe PLEASE HELP