C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

ZF 6-speed Black and Blue parts interchange

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Clock-work
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ZF 6-speed Black and Blue parts interchange

Hey all you 6-speed experts, the second gear synchro in my ‘96 LT4 is close to gone and to prevent further damage I avoid using it. Clearly a rebuild is in order. Blue label crash-though obviously. I have an opportunity to buy a black label ZF with some problems but 2nd gear isn’t one of them.

The thought is to pull the required parts from the black label and fit them to my blue but I’m aware there are differences in the two transmissions, particularly where the helix angles of the gear teeth are higher in the blue label for quieter operation. Are there other differences that would make a synchro group parts swap impractical or impossible?

Thanks

Last edited by Clock-work; 04-21-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:24 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,281 Likes on 865 Posts

Why buy another transmission with known issues to try and rebuild your troubled tranny. If the gearbox is having issues already it will also have other damage. I would suggest finding a known good trans or sending to Bill for a rebuild and have a complete trans.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:49 PM
Clock-work
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All those options and thoughts already crossed my mind. DrZF (Bill) knows the answer I’m sure but he’s probably too busy to check the forums. THX

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Why buy another transmission with known issues to try and rebuild your troubled tranny. If the gearbox is having issues already it will also have other damage. I would suggest finding a known good trans or sending to Bill for a rebuild and have a complete trans.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:51 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,281 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Clock-work
All those options and thoughts already crossed my mind. DrZF (Bill) knows the answer I’m sure but he’s probably too busy to check the forums. THX

Bill has never done the forums. Calling him is the best. Running one of his granny's in a race car, not a single problem.

Good luck with whatever you do.0

Get notified of new replies

To ZF 6-speed Black and Blue parts interchange

Quick Reply: ZF 6-speed Black and Blue parts interchange