C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

85 vette z51 power steering rack leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 12:03 PM
Brockdel18
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 vette z51 power steering rack leaking

Hello everyone, I am new to the corvette forums, but I have a 1985 corvette base z51 that’s been sitting for over 14 years, I brought it back to life and got it running/ driving/ stopping again. But I have a severe leak from the power steering rack. It seems to be coming from the input shaft where the Column meets the rack but I am not 100% positive this is it. The fluid look almost like liquid graphite so I assume that’s why the seal went bad. I drained the reservoir and added a bottle of Lucas stop leak but it didn’t help much. The fluid is better but still grey and doesn’t look so hot. So I thought about flushing the system and I bought a big bottle of stop leak to put in the system. If it doesn’t seal the leak, what are my options? I could replace the rack but I really don’t have the spare change. Is there a way to replace just that seal without removing the rack? Or is there something else I could try? This car is a P I M A.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:30 AM
Randy M
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I just pulled the rack out of my car for the same problem. Only my leak is coming from the cap at the end of the pinion. My car is an 85 also. While the rack is out I am putting in all new hoses and pump also. Good luck with yours.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:09 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Brockdel18
Hello everyone, I am new to the corvette forums, but I have a 1985 corvette base z51 that’s been sitting for over 14 years, I brought it back to life and got it running/ driving/ stopping again. But I have a severe leak from the power steering rack. It seems to be coming from the input shaft where the Column meets the rack but I am not 100% positive this is it. The fluid look almost like liquid graphite so I assume that’s why the seal went bad. I drained the reservoir and added a bottle of Lucas stop leak but it didn’t help much. The fluid is better but still grey and doesn’t look so hot. So I thought about flushing the system and I bought a big bottle of stop leak to put in the system. If it doesn’t seal the leak, what are my options? I could replace the rack but I really don’t have the spare change. Is there a way to replace just that seal without removing the rack? Or is there something else I could try? This car is a P I M A.
You are not going to be able to fix the leaky rack long term with anything but a rebuilt rack. The easiest fix long term is to r & r the rack with a rebuilt one from a national parts place which has a warranty... that way if it is leaky you have some protection. While you are at it, the hydraulic pump and hoses should be done also (or at least a good flush) so you don't trash the new rack with junk from the old system. Sorry but there is no good uncostly fix.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:44 PM
0steering_experts1
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

We can rebuild your rack and return it to like new condition. The cost to rebuild your rack would start at $250. If any hard parts need to be repaired or replaced then the cost would go up accordingly. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks,
Junior
Old 04-24-2018, 10:27 PM
Brockdel18
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys... I think I will try the flushing the system and adding stop leak just to get it on the road for now. The car hasn’t been driven on the road for over 14 years, so I probably have some other issues I need to address. But maybe after that I will do a rebuild on the rack myself. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 85 vette z51 power steering rack leaking

Quick Reply: 85 vette z51 power steering rack leaking