C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

96 LT1 Diagnostics and tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 01:38 PM
PaZaicC4
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 96 LT1 Diagnostics and tuning

I have a 96 LT1 Vette that I am having problems with Vats in. I am trying to find the software that is used to make changes in the ECM along with advanced diagnostic capabilities. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:23 PM
PaZaicC4
Heel & Toe

Anyone?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:41 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

To edit the bin file that the PCM uses, you need Jet DST. It comes with the cable and software you need to upload and download the files to the PCM. It's not cheap - around $400. For "advanced diagnostics" you need something like EEHack, which can log data that the engine is seeing/using. i believe it's free.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:59 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

the scanning software for a 96 is not inexpensive either. around $150.00. Being an OBDII car, the '96 is the redheaded step child.

if you live in an area that does not mandate EPA checking, it might be less expensive to change the ECM to a 1995.

I live in such an area, and it is a pain to have to maintain the OBDII I have found out. I have $399 into a Jet DST box and software, $230 into a good refurb laptop running Windows XP and if my scan tool doesn't get all I need, then another $150 for ECMpro from Wester's Garage to do the datalogging.

This is the one area that I regret buying our car, but would have had the same issue had I found an LT4 car at the time.

ECMpro will run through the Jet DST interface.

Unfortunately, the later, more robust, well known tuning/scanning softwares pick up at 1997.

Last edited by drcook; 04-26-2018 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:16 AM
PaZaicC4
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the information.

I ordered a Jet DST and received it with a bad CD. I am waiting on Jet to ship a new one. It should go out Monday.

I will look into the other software for future use.

Is the 95 ECM a direct fit? Or will I have to change wiring harness plugs?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:54 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by PaZaicC4
Is the 95 ECM a direct fit? Or will I have to change wiring harness plugs?
It's a direct fit. You can swap them out at will. However, Jet DST won't tune the older PCM. For that, you would need Tunercat, which is the same software but for the 94/95 computers. Now that you have the tuning software for your 96 PCM, there's probably not a compelling reason to swap it out. The one big advantage, in terms of operation of the car, for the earlier PCM is that you can use a version of Tunercat with a "BLM locker" function. That keeps the PCM from learning in open-loop (WOT) mode, meaning that the air:fuel ratio you program will never be deviated from. But if you're not planning big power mods or racing, this will probably never be a factor for you. So just run with what you have now.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 LT1 Diagnostics and tuning

Quick Reply: 96 LT1 Diagnostics and tuning