C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

89' headlights won't go down

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:28 AM
wardie
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 89' headlights won't go down

Headlights go up on my 89 but stay up when you shut lights off. I have FSM looks like the headlight reversing motor relay? Anyone have a similar situation and was able to affect repairs please share. Thanks Larry
Old 04-26-2018, 10:45 AM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

This happens on my 89. I have not fixed it yet, but from the reading I have done it could be that the PLASTIC gears in the headlight motor have stripped their teeth. I have seen some posts saying it can be fixed with parts from the local parts store, but I have not chased this rabbit down the hole yet to fix it. Here's what I do as a temporary fix. Turn both headlights on. They may fully go up or halfway up while the gears spin. Next, turn both headlights off and while the gears are spinning, run to the front of the car and push down on both headlights so they go down into the close position and wait for them to stop spinning. That is how I get them to stay down until I can fix them properly. They stay down all the time. I use my fog lights at night, which are pretty bright. Hope that helps.

Last edited by ~ Anno Domini; 04-26-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by wardie
Headlights go up on my 89 but stay up when you shut lights off. I have FSM looks like the headlight reversing motor relay? Anyone have a similar situation and was able to affect repairs please share. Thanks Larry
When you say it doesn't go down, what happens? Do you hear the motor whirl around when you turn the lights off?
Old 04-27-2018, 12:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ~ Daniel
This happens on my 89. I have not fixed it yet, but from the reading I have done it could be that the PLASTIC gears in the headlight motor have stripped their teeth. I have seen some posts saying it can be fixed with parts from the local parts store, but I have not chased this rabbit down the hole yet to fix it. Here's what I do as a temporary fix. Turn both headlights on. They may fully go up or halfway up while the gears spin. Next, turn both headlights off and while the gears are spinning, run to the front of the car and push down on both headlights so they go down into the close position and wait for them to stop spinning. That is how I get them to stay down until I can fix them properly. They stay down all the time. I use my fog lights at night, which are pretty bright. Hope that helps.
They are simple pucks but before I go there, maybe I would want to see if the motor is getting power when he turns it off?
Old 04-27-2018, 07:36 PM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

I hear you aklim......I'm in the same boat as the original poster, but have not tried to find the root cause of the problem......just wanted to post my temporary fix until he can figure out the cause. :-)
Old 04-28-2018, 09:38 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ~ Daniel

Gotta do mine next week -> https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-1996-C...BZHfDA&vxp=mtr
Old 04-28-2018, 10:59 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
I'd look into getting the brass gears since it has been a while since the car was made and I have no idea when they might say "Sorry, we are done making them.". In which case, you go dumpster diving for a set that Might be better than your own.

I know this one is bronze: https://www.zip-corvette.com/88-96-h...ar-bronze.html

This one might not be. Go call them: https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corv...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yes, I know they are more expensive. Yes, your gear might be ok for now but plastic doesn't last as long. Yes, I know some people talk about sacrificial gear to protect the metal but I'm not a firm believer in that. I don't see a lot of plastic gears being worn out by the screw drive. I suspect the motor will limit any harm since it is designed to stop if too much torque is applied.

I also thought my gears were good when I replaced them. Found hairline cracks one day when I was looking at them real close with a flashlight.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:51 AM
~ Anno Domini
Pro

Thank you the links guys and ideas. I saved them.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:45 AM
Warbear
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 89 lights will not rotate closed.

89 model year. I was changing the bulbs out. Did the work went to check function of the lights and the motors would spin, but both lights would not close. Looked at all the fuses in the fuse box, noticed a hum coming from the headlight control box on the left side of car wheel well. Searched a bunch of threads, opened the relay case. No apparent burnt wires or blown components. Any body else with this issue?

When turning the motor ***** manually, the lights spin fine and retract. Both lights are affected. Hmm.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:32 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

After changing my light **** , mine wouldn't go down, my **** was not going down far enough for the switch to activate. Remove **** and try it. Worth a try.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:10 PM
Warbear
Intermediate

Thanks....tried that too and even wiggled the switch while fully inserted. I have to believe this is a relay/ power issue as both side are affected. Also - this ride was baby'd and almost all original parts...so i suspect the electrical parts are being tested as i am using the car much more than the PO.

Also, changing to a LeMans style headlight system....investing now and being done with most of the headlight/motors/bulb issues.

Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2020, 01:45 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by Warbear
went to check function of the lights and the motors would spin, but both lights would not close. .
First question: Since you just changed the headlight bulbs, are the two screws in the sides of the headlight housing touching the hood? Is there any interference that you can see?

The usual problem is the worn "pellets" inside the motor that allow the motor to spin, but the doors do not close (or open). This is a very common problem in the '88-'96 headlight motors.
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...-installation/
Old 07-11-2020, 07:30 AM
Warbear
Intermediate

I appreciate the input and response. This forum and the folks involved are a tremendous resource! Will check that out too. Based on what i observed, i tend to believe the issue is electrical.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:31 AM
Warbear
Intermediate

I appreciate the input and response. This forum and the folks involved are a tremendous resource! Will check that out too. Based on what i observed, i tend to believe the issue is electrical.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:58 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Warbear
I tend to believe the issue is electrical.
How can it be an electrical problem if the motors spin but the doors do not move?

Old 07-12-2020, 01:06 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
The usual problem is the worn "pellets" inside the motor that allow the motor to spin, but the doors do not close (or open). This is a very common problem in the '88-'96 headlight motors.
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...-installation/
x2
Old 07-13-2020, 05:39 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

x2
X3

Get notified of new replies

To 89' headlights won't go down

Old 07-13-2020, 08:18 AM
Warbear
Intermediate

I agree with the comments. I did not articulate my thoughts well enough. The reason behind my "electrical issue" belief is.....the lights will rotate open after i manually close them when pulling the light switch out. When the light switch is pressed in nothing happens. There is a constant hum originating from the headlight module in the front drivers wheel well. In addition, as i previously mentioned i can manually rotate the motor ***** to close the headlights. Mechanically functional. I guess the culprit is either the light switch in the dash or maybe the headlight module.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:05 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by xrav22
my **** was not going down far enough for the switch to activate. Remove **** and try it.
Did you try xrav's suggestion? There should be a gap between the back of the headlight **** and the dashboard.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:14 PM
Warbear
Intermediate

Yes indeed! Tried with **** on the spindle and with it off the spindle. Thanks for the information and those who responded.

Warbear.

Quick Reply: 89' headlights won't go down