C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Importing to Canada a car already in Canada

Old 04-26-2018, 02:59 PM
Wardiker
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing to Canada a car already in Canada

Heres the situation:

Paid $2500 for a C4 corvette, runs, drives, 4spd, Awesome paint, windows perfect.

Problem: Car last registered in Montana.
Montana owner drove it to Calgary, AB looking for work.
When he moved out he sold it to my landlord for back rent.

Landlord sold it to me. I cant go over the boarder to US.

Can anyone recommend a Company that will Pickup car in Calgary and take it to the US to get a proper Form1 Import and deliver it back.

The car looks and drives great, I know I could part it out and get my money back, but I really want this car.

Thanks

See what I mean, shes beautiful. I would consider selling or trading
Old 04-26-2018, 10:48 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Wardiker
Heres the situation:

Paid $2500 for a C4 corvette, runs, drives, 4spd, Awesome paint, windows perfect.

Problem: Car last registered in Montana.
Montana owner drove it to Calgary, AB looking for work.
When he moved out he sold it to my landlord for back rent.

Landlord sold it to me. I cant go over the boarder to US.

Can anyone recommend a Company that will Pickup car in Calgary and take it to the US to get a proper Form1 Import and deliver it back.

The car looks and drives great, I know I could part it out and get my money back, but I really want this car.

Thanks

See what I mean, shes beautiful. I would consider selling or trading
Go to the Canadian section of this forum and ask your question. Are you saying you, personally can't enter the U.S.? If the car is already here, have you tried getting an Alberta inspection and plating it?
Old 04-26-2018, 10:54 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,275 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by arbee
Are you saying you, personally can't enter the U.S.? If the car is already here, have you tried getting an Alberta inspection and plating it?
The car is not imported into Canada correctly is the issue. It needs to be taken back to the states with the proper paperwork filed for entry into Canada with safety and tax being paid.
The following users liked this post:
Wardiker (05-09-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 12:20 AM
Wardiker
8th Gear

Default Yes that is correct

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
The car is not imported into Canada correctly is the issue. It needs to be taken back to the states with the proper paperwork filed for entry into Canada with safety and tax being paid.

Thats exactly the issue, and yes its me personally that cant go into the states. I was only charged with a minor offence that never got to court because it was a mistake....as a result My record is in the quicksand... Im working on getting it corrected
Old 04-27-2018, 12:43 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Thats exactly the issue, and yes its me personally that cant go into the states. I was only charged with a minor offence that never got to court because it was a mistake....as a result My record is in the quicksand... Im working on getting it corrected
You need to check more closely. Vehicles 15 years old and more are not subject to the RIV program, hence no form 1.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:52 PM
canuck buick
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You have to get back into the states send title to US 72 hours before you import you then get it stamped by US customs which will you then take to Canada customs at border.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:12 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

I believe there's maybe a much more complicated position the OP is in. What happened between the previous US owner and the current Canadian owner who accepted the car in payment of debt?

What paper exists 'NOW' for the car?

If the guy who accepted the car in payment has only a 'signed' Montana title and never transferred ownership I could see this getting very complicated. I doubt it's easily resolved but it is certainly 'interesting'.

Anyone had a recent conversation with the guy in the US who was and maybe still is the documented owner?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-27-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:38 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I believe there's maybe a much more complicated position the OP is in. What happened between the previous US owner and the current Canadian owner who accepted the car in payment of debt?

What paper exists 'NOW' for the car?

If the guy who accepted the car in payment has only a 'signed' Montana title and never transferred ownership I could see this getting very complicated. I doubt it's easily resolved but it is certainly 'interesting'.

Anyone had a recent conversation with the guy in the US who was and maybe still is the documented owner?
In Canada, we have a department which is called the RIV(registrar of imported vehicles). They administer to all vehicle imports and confirm such things as recall compliance and bumper compliance(some cars can NOT be imported due to the miles-kilometer change.), daytime running lights ect. HOWEVER, if the car is 15 years old, they are exempt from much of the bureaucracy.

I will qualify the following by first saying that things MAY have changed BUT:

A few years ago, when I brought an 87 from California, the Canadian customs could car less about any forms or export permits BECAUSE it was 15 years old. All they wanted was a bill of sale so they could charge me 5% GST(goods and services tax) plus 100.00 a/c surcharge. That is why I first told the op to go to the Canadian section here and ask. A multitude of guys from Ontario and Quebec have imported cars from the U.S. and know all the hoops. As Canadians, we do not stop on the American side before re-entering Canada.(likewise, Americans do not stop on the Canadian side before returning to the U.S.) Many guys on the Canadian forum have reported dusting right on through with zero complications. American and Canadian ways of doing things vary greatly. That is why I will re-suggest the op take his question to the Canadian forum. With all due respect, the vast, vast majority of the members here are American and that same majority knows little about Canadian procedures.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:48 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

In Canada, we have a department which is called the RIV(registrar of imported vehicles). They administer to all vehicle imports and confirm such things as recall compliance and bumper compliance(some cars can NOT be imported due to the miles-kilometer change.), daytime running lights ect. HOWEVER, if the car is 15 years old, they are exempt from much of the bureaucracy.

A few years ago, when I brought an 87 from California, the Canadian customs could car less about any forms or export permits BECAUSE it was 15 years old. All they wanted was a bill of sale so they could charge me 5% GST(goods and services tax) plus 100.00 a/c surcharge. That is why I first told the op to go to the Canadian section here and ask. A multitude of guys from Ontario and Quebec have imported cars from the U.S. and know all the hoops. As Canadians, we do not stop on the American side before re-entering Canada.(likewise, Americans do not stop on the Canadian side before returning to the U.S.) Many guys on the Canadian forum have reported dusting right on through with zero complications. American and Canadian ways of doing things vary greatly. That is why I will re-suggest the op take his question to the Canadian forum. With all due respect, the vast, vast majority of the members here are American and that same majority knows little about Canadian procedures.
I thought I understood the RIV compliance of 15 years you mentioned.

All of that makes sense! If a 'Bill of Sale' is satisfactory for the OP and RIV I'd think the OP just needs to take what he's got 'in hand' to an RIV department and if he needs more they'll certainly fill him in. I visited the RIV site and thought I pretty much understood it but TITLE/BILL OF SALE didn't seem well explained.

The other Canadian posters comments seemed very different than what I absorbed from the RIV documentation page.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:58 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I thought I understood the RIV compliance of 15 years you mentioned.

All of that makes sense! If a 'Bill of Sale' is satisfactory for the OP and RIV I'd think the OP just needs to take what he's got 'in hand' to an RIV department and if he needs more they'll certainly fill him in. I visited the RIV site and thought I pretty much understood it but TITLE/BILL OF SALE didn't seem well explained.

The other Canadian posters comments seemed very different than what I absorbed from the RIV documentation page.

Yes the RIV can be complicated and easily misunderstood. It is more relaxed now I am told than it used to be. The thing to remember is no matter what side of the border, we are dealing with government. They change their minds like they change their socks. Here is an example. I am not sure about the number of border crossings on the 49th, but they all have different rules it seems. When I brought my 87 across, it was totally acceptable to fax the title to U.S. customs 72 hours before crossing. This was at an Alberta port of entry. I faxed the title from Stockton Ca. and when I arrived at Sweetgrass, all was good and in order. An acquaintance tried at Buffalo a few weeks later and no dice. Original copy only! So, he had to sit in Buffalo for 3 days and do nothing.
Wardiker (05-09-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 09:00 PM
Wardiker
8th Gear

Id like to move it to the canadian Forum, but to tell the truth it took me a day just to post, (Little user unfriendly but I aint complaining, just explaining, this forum is great)

Spent the day on the phone, seemd like I should go to customs here in Calgary and just give it a shot, Ive talked to them, so Ill post my results next week. Only hickup might be the bill of sale.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:53 PM
Wardiker
8th Gear

Default Success

Wow did I go down a rabbit hole over the last 8 months. But thanks to everyones help and advise heres what happened.Ill spare you the run around and bad info Id gotten

Transport Canada only cares about age verification,
I had the Certificate of Origin with VIN - Check

I went to customs at the local airport without the car, just winging it.
I had all the info,bill of sale from last owner, Cert.Of Origin, pictures of the car and the VIN printed on glossy paper.

I filled out a short bit on a form and they charged me $180GST and gave me the form 1. DONE

Went to the registry got an Out Of Province Vehicle Inspection request form.

Once thats done it official, and was cheap very happy,no hassle, thanks everyone again.

Went to drive it to inspection and it flooded before I could start it.
Whick has never happened before...ugh

Seperate Issue
Old 05-09-2018, 06:11 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

So you're nearly there? Amazing what a visit can do!!
Wardiker (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 06:37 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Wow did I go down a rabbit hole over the last 8 months. But thanks to everyones help and advise heres what happened.Ill spare you the run around and bad info Id gotten

Transport Canada only cares about age verification,
I had the Certificate of Origin with VIN - Check

I went to customs at the local airport without the car, just winging it.
I had all the info,bill of sale from last owner, Cert.Of Origin, pictures of the car and the VIN printed on glossy paper.

I filled out a short bit on a form and they charged me $180GST and gave me the form 1. DONE

Went to the registry got an Out Of Province Vehicle Inspection request form.

Once thats done it official, and was cheap very happy,no hassle, thanks everyone again.

Went to drive it to inspection and it flooded before I could start it.
Whick has never happened before...ugh

Seperate Issue
That's why I told you in post 5 that all that RIV **** doesn't apply to vehicles over 15 years. The government of Canada doesn't give a rats *** if you "exported" it from the U.S. or not. All they want is your money.

Last edited by arbee; 05-09-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Importing to Canada a car already in Canada

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Importing to Canada a car already in Canada