C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hood wll not open..

Old 05-02-2018, 07:08 AM
Mark Liberty

Default Hood wll not open..

Just bought 1990 Vette and the hood release is totally gone in the driver's compartment. Have been trying to reach the latch with "the tool" that inserts under the fender with the door open. Would like to know just how far from the back edge of the hood...is the latch...ie...how many inches. So far have not been able to engage the tool in the latch
Old 05-02-2018, 08:28 AM
Renfield
CF Senior Member

My tool came marked with black tape to indicate the proper depth. Check the photo.

It aligns with the a-pillar trim edge.
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2018, 09:02 AM
Mark Liberty

Originally Posted by Renfield View Post
My tool came marked with black tape to indicate the proper depth. Check the photo.

It aligns with the a-pillar trim edge.
Thank you...the tool I have is home grown but looks identical and your information should prove very helpful....now I should be able to get the hood open in order to replace the battery. Already have battery panel off thanks to previous owner.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Renfield
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mark Liberty View Post
Thank you...the tool I have is home grown but looks identical and your information should prove very helpful....now I should be able to get the hood open in order to replace the battery. Already have battery panel off thanks to previous owner.

Here's another view of the tool in position, but it's a weird perspective.

All the best!
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2018, 01:38 PM
Mark Liberty

Originally Posted by Renfield View Post

Here's another view of the tool in position, but it's a weird perspective.

All the best!
agreed about the perspective.....but after a little thought....I do understand and that's what I've been trying.....still tough to work around the hood rubber and find the exact spot to click the latch open.... after all these years of a similar hood latch system....you would think........it might be a little less trouble. Like so many things today.....it works great until it doesn't .....!! Thanks for the pictures.....feel like I'm closer than before....
Old 05-02-2018, 02:33 PM
1bdvet
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,370 Times in 1,270 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

What I did while back, I took wire coat hanger, bent the end to a hook, slide it in and went fishing.
I must of been good fisherman, cause in less then 5 minutes got the hook to release.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:01 PM
hcbph
CF Senior Member

Once you get it open, obviously fix what's wrong. Additionally there are cable kits available (or make your own) that hook onto the release mechanism and work up to the windshield wiper are where you can grab them and release it if the inside release fails.

A lot cheaper than damaging the hood if you can't get it open otherwise.

Just a thought.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:51 PM
gdl2165
CF Senior Member

In your first post you say the hood release in the drivers compartment is gone. I'd give you better than even odds that it's actually there, someone just put the underdash hush panel on wrong and covered it. Try taking that hush panel off and see if the handle is there. I made that mistake once myself when putting the panel back on mine. You have to reach through the access hole and pull the handle out slightly while putting the panel on in order to get it right.

And yes, once you get it open make sure to put those emergency release cables on so you're not locked out in the future when the regular release cable breaks.

Last edited by gdl2165; 05-02-2018 at 11:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to gdl2165 For This Useful Post:
Mark Liberty (05-14-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 09:47 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by gdl2165 View Post
In your first post you say the hood release in the drivers compartment is gone. I'd give you better than even odds that it's actually there, someone just put the underdash hush panel on wrong and covered it. Try taking that hush panel off and see if the handle is there. I made that mistake once myself when putting the panel back on mine. You have to reach through the access hole and pull the handle out slightly while putting the panel on in order to get it right.

And yes, once you get it open make sure to put those emergency release cables on so you're not locked out in the future when the regular release cable breaks.
^^^^Yup^^^^been there, done that!
Old 05-03-2018, 06:48 PM
DGXR
CF Senior Member

If you are still trying to open the hood, ask someone to (carefully) lean or sit on the hood above the latch area. This will take some of the spring load off the latch and maybe help get it open. The springs are really strong -- my hood literally "pops" up when I pull the release. Seems excessive but it is what it is. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to DGXR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2018, 07:41 AM
856SPEED
CF Senior Member

You might want to ask ghostrider how he opened his hood......he had the same problems and I think he has his car in the paint shop now.....I would assume the hood opens now that it is getting new body work and paint!

The Following User Says Thank You to 856SPEED For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2018, 11:01 AM
pologreen1
CF Senior Member

Look for pics on the net of the cable ties or zip ties.

With a hook of some kind you should be able to put the cable in front of the windshield to pop it loose.

once it is open, adjust the bumpers to make sure it does not lock again, even if it looks stupid until you can fix it right.

Fires can and do happen in these cars and people have had locked hoods in the past.

Last edited by pologreen1; 05-04-2018 at 11:04 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pologreen1 For This Useful Post:
joe wilson (07-20-2018), Mark Liberty (05-22-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:41 PM
HAD2HAV2
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DGXR View Post
If you are still trying to open the hood, ask someone to (carefully) lean or sit on the hood above the latch area. This will take some of the spring load off the latch and maybe help get it open. The springs are really strong -- my hood literally "pops" up when I pull the release. Seems excessive but it is what it is. Good luck.
I have a 88 that I have owned for 24 years. My hood use to pop open back 10 years ago. It doesn't "pop" now but the latch functions as it should. Any thoughts (I have new hood struts)?
Old 05-04-2018, 10:48 PM
pologreen1
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2 View Post
I have a 88 that I have owned for 24 years. My hood use to pop open back 10 years ago. It doesn't "pop" now but the latch functions as it should. Any thoughts (I have new hood struts)?
Check these.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:40 PM
Mark Liberty

Default Hood Latch

Originally Posted by pologreen1 View Post
Look for pics on the net of the cable ties or zip ties.

With a hook of some kind you should be able to put the cable in front of the windshield to pop it loose.

once it is open, adjust the bumpers to make sure it does not lock again, even if it looks stupid until you can fix it right.

Fires can and do happen in these cars and people have had locked hoods in the past.

Thanks...the pictures are very helpful.....hood is open
T

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood wll not open..

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: