Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2016 C4 of the Year Finalist

Default 1985 Corvette- No blower Speeds

So last fall I was driving the 85 in air conditioned comfort and the blower stopped working all together. It was the fall so it wasn't urgent to fix it, but now the temps are getting higerh in Cincinnati and I'd like to drive in the A/C. So I have no blower speeds at all. While driving, air being forced through the vents from moving can be felt. The air coming through corresponds to the temp selected(manual HVAC), so the A/C will kick on and the heat still works, just no blower moving the air through. I assume the issue is the blower motor control/ resistor but wanted to get thoughts from around here. Thanks for the help and suggestions!
Old 05-03-2018, 07:30 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by junkyard_dog72
So last fall I was driving the 85 in air conditioned comfort and the blower stopped working all together. It was the fall so it wasn't urgent to fix it, but now the temps are getting higerh in Cincinnati and I'd like to drive in the A/C. So I have no blower speeds at all. While driving, air being forced through the vents from moving can be felt. The air coming through corresponds to the temp selected(manual HVAC), so the A/C will kick on and the heat still works, just no blower moving the air through. I assume the issue is the blower motor control/ resistor but wanted to get thoughts from around here. Thanks for the help and suggestions!
Thoughts? You don't need thoughts from others you simply need diagnostics.

Pretty straight forward system used by GM for years. Your FSM should get you all the info you need. First check I'd think would be is there B+ voltage to blower relay, then the 'motor' if the motor doesn't run with B+ jumper and the ground is proper it's likely motor, motor runs you move on.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-03-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:00 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by junkyard_dog72
do you have a FSM? if not, get one. just went through a similar problem on my 85. my problem was with the AC control head, or AC/heater/vent select and blower speed switch panel. everything on my AC-blower control circuit checked OK, but I couldn't get voltage out of the panel assembly - if I shorted pins D and E, of the electrical connector, the blower fan would come on. the FSM has nothing about the unit repair of the panel - only to replace the unit head. the rotary select switch was easily replaced - only two screws. mine was repairable (burnt contact), but I had a spare panel in my parts stash, so I just replaced the select switch.

pic shows the AC/heater/vent select switch - note burnt contact and the small spring used with the contact....

your problem may be different, so reference the FSM for troubleshooting procedures. check the fuse, relay,blower resistor, and blower motor first - those are easier to get access. to pull the control head, you'll need to pull the radio bezel which is a bit of a PITA. try this - with your select switch to AC, and blower switch active in the on position, check if you have 12V at the resistor assembly (yellow wire/pin A) if you don't have voltage there, good chance the problem is with the select switch on the control head. good luck....

BTW JD72, used to live in Cincinnati, well actually, Deer Park, from 1966-1984

Last edited by Joe C; 05-11-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:56 AM
85 Stalker
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the same situation on my 85. Replaced the blower motor resistor and relay and everything is back to normal.

The contacts were all corroded - not too surprising for a 33 year old car. Ten minutes and ~$30 and you should be all set.

Relay on Amazon Relay on Amazon

Blower motor resistor Blower motor resistor

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette- No blower Speeds

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette- No blower Speeds