C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1992 stock Bose radio bad reception

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 12:11 PM
DriveV8Faster
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 1992 stock Bose radio bad reception

So my 92 has had terrible radio reception since I bought it about a year ago, think I finally want to tackle the problem. The previous owner had the antenna replaced(it rises and retracts normal) and speakers rebuilt. The reception is so bad you can't really listen to the radio, but fluctuates as you drive and sometimes for a few seconds becomes normal. Any ideas where the issue may be?

Also anyone know a good place to get the original head unit rebuilt for a good price?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!
Old 05-07-2018, 01:13 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by DriveV8Faster
So my 92 has had terrible radio reception since I bought it about a year ago, think I finally want to tackle the problem. The previous owner had the antenna replaced(it rises and retracts normal) and speakers rebuilt. The reception is so bad you can't really listen to the radio, but fluctuates as you drive and sometimes for a few seconds becomes normal. Any ideas where the issue may be?

Also anyone know a good place to get the original head unit rebuilt for a good price?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!
What is it? If it is a Bose, you can get it rebuilt by DrDon's. If not, replacement might be better. Still, I'd like to know what we are facing. Lets try this. Take the stereo head unit out and leave it connected. Take the antenna out and plug in a temporary antenna. See if that helps. If it does, go dig around for a possible break in the wire. I can replace the entire system but if the antenna wire is broke, the new unit will STILL do the same thing.
The following users liked this post:
DriveV8Faster (05-08-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 01:26 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

If you knew that you had a good coax lead, the antenna was replaced with other than OE and the 4 'ground plane' leads were removed I'd think you would get 'none/very little' or very weak reception. You need to first confirm that the ground strap to the frame is secure after maybe cleaning the ring terminal and also the chassis component. The 4 ground plane wires are same length as the antenna mast (31 1/2").

I don't believe the 1st move would be a 'radio service'.
The following users liked this post:
DriveV8Faster (05-08-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 stock Bose radio bad reception

Quick Reply: 1992 stock Bose radio bad reception