Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Suddenly my HVAC blower is on high - even with the key off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 11:19 PM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suddenly my HVAC blower is on high - even with the key off.

1989 convertible 5.7 L w/AC. Driven very little. The second time this yeqr today, just to the post office and home.
When I got home, then put it in the garage and shut it down, the heater/AC blower motor remained on high speed. I don't know where it may have been set.

I had to pull the battery ground cable to shut it down. Doing a little research, it seems this is not uncommon, but most fixes involve throwing parts at it until it goes away.

Figured I'd start by seeing where this 12V is coming from, then tracing it back towards the battery until I find the fault. Offhand, a stuck relay seems likely.

My Chilton's doesn't have a schematic I could find on the '89 HVAC. Anyone with hot leads? (pun sort of intended). :/

Last edited by Cap'n Rich; 05-07-2018 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Sloppy grammar.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:27 PM
five-oh
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd lay money on it being a blower control module, assuming it is a C68 equipped car with the digital settings. There's a thread on here somewhere with a link to a Jeep part that is a third of the cost of the Corvette part- I actually posted it after buying one for my 96. Common issue. I've had it happen on 2 of the 4 C4's I've owned.
The following users liked this post:
Cap'n Rich (05-08-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 11:44 PM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

Originally Posted by five-oh
I'd lay money on it being a blower control module, assuming it is a C68 equipped car with the digital settings. There's a thread on here somewhere with a link to a Jeep part that is a third of the cost of the Corvette part- I actually posted it after buying one for my 96. Common issue. I've had it happen on 2 of the 4 C4's I've owned.
I read and bookmarked that thread, but that's what I meant about throwing parts at it. Not much sense in throwing a $30 module at it when it might be a $3 relay, right?

Appreciate the answer, though. Thanks.

Edit: The controls are digital. The previous time I drove it, I ran the HVAC through all it's function to check it's operation after sitting all winter. It seemed to work ok, but that's probably the first time in many years I have set the fan at 10.

Last edited by Cap'n Rich; 05-07-2018 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Answering question by five oh
Old 05-08-2018, 08:10 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Unfortunately the blower power module is the relay when you have C68. Manual HVAC C60 uses a relay.
Cap'n Rich (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 10:46 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Hey, Cap'n , swap out the blower control module. Simple and easy. This is super common. I bought a spare as it is only a matter of time.

BTW... scrap your chiltons for a legit FSM. It has a great trouble shooting guide.
Cap'n Rich (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

Okay, Kevova &Bill, I have one on order. In the description on eBay, all it said was that it was a resistor. I couldn't see that it was anything more, hence my confusion.

In the few minutes I had to check under the hood yesterday, I was looking for a relay such as the coolant fan relay - with no luck. Later when I had to go out to the garage/shop to retrieve a jug of rum I had stashed under the top cover lid, I had to hook up the battery for a moment to get the lid open, and the fan started right up runnin' agin. The engine was cool by then, so that verified the fault lay within the blower.

Now to get my son to come down to replace the module. I'm 76 and don't do my own wrenching any more. I'll have a rum and coke while he swaps it out. Also, I'll need to look up the location and procedure for him.

EDIT: I watched the YouTube video on the replacement and it seems easy-peasy. For some reason, I can't get any YouTube audio on my computer today. Other audio works fine. Fortunately, our local cable company now offers a free YouTube app on our TV. Watched it in HD 4K 70" living color!

Last edited by Cap'n Rich; 05-08-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:42 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

If this is the blower control module,

I have one of those for sale, HERE, FYI.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:24 PM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

Tom .......... I've already ordered a new one for $28.

Rich

Last edited by Cap'n Rich; 05-08-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Really? Where? I looked on NAPA and they list it at $240.00 (?)

NAPA Blower motor resistor
Old 05-08-2018, 07:53 PM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

Tom .........

I'm told this is the same part number.

https://tinyurl.com/y8g3ealr

Rich
Old 05-08-2018, 09:06 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Huh. It looks the same. I'd probably buy it there too. I wonder why NAPA charges so much??
Old 05-09-2018, 12:24 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Huh. It looks the same. I'd probably buy it there too. I wonder why NAPA charges so much??
Seriously?
Old 05-15-2018, 06:56 PM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

Tom ...........

It appears I was misinformed. The part arrived yesterday. I went to install it today and the new part is almost a mirror image of the old. It does not fit.

I then proceeded to try to swap out just the control modules, unscrewing them from the top mounting plate and the heat sinks. The old one was easy, just four little screws.

The new one is a little different design. The module is also attached to it's heat sink with a concealed screw. If you pull up on the module, you can see the screw under it. If you pull a little harder, you will bust off the leads to the transistor screwed to the board. Now the transistor is not the only thing that's screwed - you are, too!

I'm just full of bad ideas today, it seems.

If you go to eBay, you'll see used 'Vette BCM's go for around $50 delivered. New ones are $128. But, the new ones are a different design than the originals. They'll fit, but they seem to have a lot cheaper construction.

Is your part priced delivered, or should I buy the used one on eBay for $44 delivered? I may get bombed on rum and caffine-free diet coke this afternoon.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:47 PM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Hey, Cap'n , swap out the blower control module. Simple and easy. This is super common. I bought a spare as it is only a matter of time.

BTW... scrap your chiltons for a legit FSM. It has a great trouble shooting guide.
Bill ............ The more I think about it, I seem to remember I already have a legit FSM. I just can't find it. It's here, someplace. I'm looking.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:28 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Cap'n Rich
Tom ...........

It appears I was misinformed. The part arrived yesterday. I went to install it today and the new part is almost a mirror image of the old. It does not fit.

I then proceeded to try to swap out just the control modules, unscrewing them from the top mounting plate and the heat sinks. The old one was easy, just four little screws.

The new one is a little different design. The module is also attached to it's heat sink with a concealed screw. If you pull up on the module, you can see the screw under it. If you pull a little harder, you will bust off the leads to the transistor screwed to the board. Now the transistor is not the only thing that's screwed - you are, too!

If you go to eBay, you'll see used 'Vette BCM's go for around $50 delivered. New ones are $128. But, the new ones are a different design than the originals. They'll fit, but they seem to have a lot cheaper construction.

Is your part priced delivered, or should I buy the used one on eBay for $44 delivered? I may get bombed on rum and caffine-free diet coke this afternoon.
Huh. That is all interesting too. Thanks for sharing!

I'd do that price, Shipped. Sorry I didn't reply sooner; I'm out of town until tomorrow, but if you want, I can get it out Friday. LMK!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:39 PM
five-oh
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap'n Rich
Tom ...........

Man, I hate it didn't work for you. The Jeep part I listed on that thread was the exact part I ordered and it was identical to the original part I had on my '96. I didn't make that thread until I received the part, installed, and tested it.. I wonder if they changed the design from 89 to 96?
Old 05-20-2018, 04:27 PM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

Aw, crap on a cracker, Tom. I should have waited. I bought one from eBay, it arrived yesterday, installed it today . . . and It Doesn't Work!

This one won't run the fan at all. I have voltage, both to the power wire (Red) and to the control wire (Tan). The control head is set to Manual fan, speed 10 (tried them all) and the fan doesn't run. If I plug the old one in, the fan starts right up and runs continuously.

I have a query in to the seller. I'll give him a chance to get his $0.02 worth in before I return it.

More rum!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Suddenly my HVAC blower is on high - even with the key off.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:41 PM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

Originally Posted by five-oh
Man, I hate it didn't work for you. The Jeep part I listed on that thread was the exact part I ordered and it was identical to the original part I had on my '96. I didn't make that thread until I received the part, installed, and tested it.. I wonder if they changed the design from 89 to 96?
Five-Oh . . .
There's definite, obvious differences both in the top plate and the insides.
I'll attach a picture of the two top plates. You can see readily the plugs are reversed and (not so easily) one of the mounting holes is in a different place.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:03 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Man...that's frustrating sounding! Mine is just sitting here, so if you end up wanting it, LMK.

-Tom
Old 05-20-2018, 05:57 PM
Cap'n Rich
Racer

Man...that's frustrating sounding! Mine is just sitting here, so if you end up wanting it, LMK.

-Tom

Quick Reply: Suddenly my HVAC blower is on high - even with the key off.