Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Crank, screech, shut down...

Old 05-08-2018, 07:59 PM
BenR1982
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank, screech, shut down...

Took my 1985 out for a spin on Saturday and everything was running fine all day. Fast forward to Monday morning; I go to start her up and it cranks, turns over, fires up for about a half second and lets out a loud screeching noise (imagine worn out brake pads on a rotor) and then she shuts off. Only prior issue I was having was a parasitic draw that was killing the battery. Took it out, threw it on the charger overnight, put the battery back in after work today and same issue. No check engine light, oil level is fine. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start? This metal on metal sound is haunting my dreams...
Old 05-08-2018, 08:00 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Starter or a power accessory would be best case.. they okay?

Last edited by confab; 05-08-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:03 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

PS: You can pop the belt off and spin the power accessories by hand to see if anything seized up..

Starter/Flexplate issues aren't uncommon on older cars. Assuming it is an automatic, you can inspect this area by removing the 4 bolts in the inspection cover over the flywheel/converter, beneath the vehicle.

I would check these before I did anything else.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:04 PM
thurman_merman
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Could it be your belt screeching? Take off your accessory belt and make sure all of your pulleys spin freely.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:09 PM
BenR1982
Cruising

Originally Posted by confab
Starter or a power accessory would be best case.. they okay?
My initial thought was the starter or the alternator. I'm about to head outside and take off the serpentine belt to check some of the pulleys before it gets dark. Wasn't sure if the starter could be the problem because the engine turns over and fires up pretty easily. Appreciate the advice!
Old 05-08-2018, 08:12 PM
BenR1982
Cruising

Originally Posted by thurman_merman
Could it be your belt screeching? Take off your accessory belt and make sure all of your pulleys spin freely.
Don't think its the belt itself, but have a feeling you may be on to something with one of the pulleys. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 PM
BenR1982
Cruising

Damn it if you guys don't know your stuff.. took off the belt and the air/smog pump is completely seized. Now the question is; do I replace said pump or do I look towards a delete kit? Had no idea there was such a thing but looks like it's a popular option. This might justify a new thread, but what do you guys suggest?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:39 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BenR1982
Damn it if you guys don't know your stuff.. took off the belt and the air/smog pump is completely seized. Now the question is; do I replace said pump or do I look towards a delete kit? Had no idea there was such a thing but looks like it's a popular option. This might justify a new thread, but what do you guys suggest?
Cool!! Glad it's an easy fix.

I guess the place to begin would be: Do you have inspections there and if so, are you exempt or not?

Otherwise, I'd say it's your call. What I have read (And it makes sense if you spin one.) says the pump doesn't rob significant power..

So, if no compliance requirements, it's your preference.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:49 PM
BenR1982
Cruising

Originally Posted by confab
Cool!! Glad it's an easy fix.

I guess the place to begin would be: Do you have inspections there and if so, are you exempt or not?

Otherwise, I'd say it's your call. What I have read (And it makes sense if you spin one.) says the pump doesn't rob significant power..

So, if no compliance requirements, it's your preference.
No inspections required in CT for a finely aged piece of machinery like this one. Only thing I seem to find online is a reman unit from Cardone but it has horrific reviews.. looks like I can find a delete kit for around the same price too.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:41 AM
flannel_man
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by BenR1982
.. looks like I can find a delete kit for around the same price too.
All things being equal price wise, can the delete be rebuilt by throwing a new $5 bearing in it? Vs you know you have to replace the whole smog pump when it goes out again in the future.

My $0.02
Old 05-09-2018, 07:40 AM
MLaw
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 53 Posts

If you decide to replace the air pump, you can get a rebuilt one from Rock Auto for about $125.00. The part you need is Cardone #32-248

http://www.cardone.com/Products/Prod...sn=256&jsn=256

Get notified of new replies

To Crank, screech, shut down...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crank, screech, shut down...