C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How much $ part out car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 04:14 AM
Dragon318
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How much $ part out car?

Got a 60,000 mile 91 black/black Z07 coupe 6spd that lost 2nd gear. I’ve tried to sell for 5k with no luck.Wondering how much money can I make parting it out? Doesn’t make sense spend 3k+ for another zf(parts only) for a car that only be worth 8k when fixed. Want to know average what can I expect if. I part out?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:29 AM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 787 Likes on 564 Posts

Maybe think about selling to someone who parts out cars all the time. I have tried it with motorcycles and came to conclusion it was a waste of time. It was too hard to market 100's of parts and too hard to ship big pieces.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:54 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

The problem with selling it to a reseller, is if they think that they will realize 4000.00, they are going to subtract transportation costs to their facility, cut the price down to where they will make it worthwhile to take it apart, so maybe you would see $1000.00 for it ?

there was a salvage LT1 6-speed car that sold in southern Ohio about 3 weeks ago (I missed it) for a little over $1000.00.

The other thing you are fighting against is the sheer number of salvage C4 (and Corvettes in general) on the market since the flooding down south. Google salvage Corvette. You will be surprised as to what is out there for sale right now.

Region comes into play, where are you located at ?

the rear end assembly is probably worth the most to people.

Last edited by drcook; 05-14-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Dragon318
Instructor

I’m in the Chicagoland area, and I would have use for the engine which I value at 2k so really only need about 3k for rest of car to get what I’d like from car. I have googled how much can be made and haven’t found out the value of what I can expect which is why I’m asking. I appreciate all replies as the car has just been sitting last couple years now and just considering all options. Even thought of converting to a t56 or gasp even going automatic trans. Also got a bad left knee that flares up couple times a year that makes driving with a clutch difficult.

edit to add

also hoping people getting 7k+ parting these out, but I know that’s probably a stretch especially as can only sell trans as a core. I do have garage available and don’t mind if takes couple years but prefer to complete part out in 12 months or so.

Last edited by Dragon318; 05-14-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 05-14-2018, 11:40 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon318
Got a 60,000 mile 91 black/black Z07 coupe 6spd that lost 2nd gear. I’ve tried to sell for 5k with no luck.Wondering how much money can I make parting it out? Doesn’t make sense spend 3k+ for another zf(parts only) for a car that only be worth 8k when fixed. Want to know average what can I expect if. I part out?
Say it is worth $8K and you spend $3K. Still, it gets you $5K. Considering you had your jollies with it, I guess it isn't too bad.

Say you part it. Sure, you have the space but now you are going to have to take it apart and sell each piece by itself. It nets the most money BUT you are going to have to spend time doing the eBay thing and giving them a portion of the money. What is YOUR time worth?

3rd option is to sell it "Project Car AS IS". IT might not be as bad to me since I can check it run in first gear and might not offer you $8K but it wouldn't be scrap metal price.

Personally, if you can swing it, get it repaired cheap by someone on a cash basis and sell the thing.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:46 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Why not pull the tranny, fix whats wrong with it, then sell the car whole?
Old 05-14-2018, 11:51 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Have you contacted these folks to see about price ?

http://www.zfdoc.com/
Old 05-14-2018, 11:57 AM
Dragon318
Instructor

I don’t mind taking car apart myself have all the tools and the space but adding everything up including the 2k I value engine at keeping it myself from plenum to oil pan I do see a quick 4K. I really need 5k out of it to be happy tho. I did have fun with car and don’t want to go thru trouble fixing trans as I do have bad knee and also I really could use engine as a spare for another vehicle I have with a Camaro l98 which has steel
heads not alum. Car also needs paint so that’s also going against having it repaired. If people getting 5k+ out of these or 3k+ without engine I be very happy.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

Originally Posted by drcook
Have you contacted these folks to see about price ?

http://www.zfdoc.com/
Zfdoc is over 3k, but have found rebuilder for 3k so that’s what I’m pricing the trans at although probably go a little over when add shipping.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:04 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

Originally Posted by 81c3
Why not pull the tranny, fix whats wrong with it, then sell the car whole?
i thought about this too but really only expect 8k selling as needs paint and some other little things. If I didn’t have bad left knee I’d do it but I also have a really nice 1/2 ton Shortbed square body that really could use a spare engine for it, already has l98 out of a 91 Camaro. I’ve even thought about putting the irs from the vette in it but I like the idea of being able to do light towing with it.

Last edited by Dragon318; 05-14-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
The following users liked this post:
RArline (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 03:05 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Zfdoc is over 3k, but have found rebuilder for 3k so that’s what I’m pricing the trans at although probably go a little over when add shipping.
Is that the cheapest you can get? WGAS if it is not absolute quality if you are selling? I'm not paying you more for it because it was built by ZFDoc. He looks to me like he is more quality oriented which costs money. You are looking for a cheap fix so the buyer can drive it.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:09 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Parting a car is a lot of work.. More than I would want to get into.

Since it runs and is whole, but with some problems, I'd be tempted to sit on it till I could sell it as a project.

Otherwise, there's all the work to part it.. The shipping. Squabbles over this and that. The shell sitting around, being a bad looker.

There's something to be said for a quick and clean 3 or 4K..
Old 05-14-2018, 03:14 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by confab

Since it runs and is whole, but with some problems, I'd be tempted to sit on it till I could sell it as a project.

Otherwise, there's all the work to part it.. The shipping. Squabbles over this and that. The shell sitting around, being a bad looker.

IF he gets 3 or 4 for a project car, and according to him, 8 for a running car, wouldn't he get more and be easier to sell than a project car if he got someone cheap to make the trans workable or would it be a push? If he gets $8k running as he says, spends $3K to fix it, I would think it would be easier to sell than a project car even if he gets $3-4K for it?
Old 05-14-2018, 03:18 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,286 Likes on 869 Posts

i thought about this too but really only expect 8k selling as needs paint and some other little things. If I didn’t have bad left knee I’d do it but I also have a really nice 1/2 ton Shortbed square body that really could use a spare engine for it, already has l98 out of a 91 Camaro. I’ve even thought about putting the irs from the vette in it but I like the idea of being able to do light towing with it.
You are not getting 8k for a car that needs paint. To many decent C4's that need nothing to very little at that price point.

Parting out cars takes time and space. If you value your time at less than 10 dollars an hour, parting out might be for you. There Re a few items everybody wants, D44, trans and some interior stuff that isn't reproduced yet. At the very end you are left with a chassis that nobody wants and is not mobile. I'm currently parting my 5th corvette and will be doing my 6th in the fall.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:27 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
IF he gets 3 or 4 for a project car, and according to him, 8 for a running car, wouldn't he get more and be easier to sell than a project car if he got someone cheap to make the trans workable or would it be a push? If he gets $8k running as he says, spends $3K to fix it, I would think it would be easier to sell than a project car even if he gets $3-4K for it?
Maybe ask about a used one in the parts wanted section?

Repairing them can be high.. Just depends on how bad it is.

Last edited by confab; 05-14-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:23 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

Ive helped a friend cut up cut up a couple cars after parting up with a sawzall and sold many of the parts on car forums. A mustang fox body and 93 Sentra ser. I’ve also completely cut up 2 cars in an auto shop class so do know exactly what it takes to do this and yes it’s a pain but also a little fun. I also have a use for the engine and value it at 2k maybe even 2500 for myself so that being said I only need 3k. For it to really be worth my time I really though want a little more than 3k in my pocket tho as I do know about stripping a car completely. Appreciate your comment but really want to know what are people getting for stripping and selling complete?
Old 05-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

Maybe ask about a used one in the parts wanted section?

Repairing them can be high.. Just depends on how bad it is.
ive seen used ZFs go for a grand but I don’t want to do all the work swapping and take a chance it don’t work.

Get notified of new replies

To How much $ part out car?

Old 05-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
You are not getting 8k for a car that needs paint. To many decent C4's that need nothing to very little at that price point.

Parting out cars takes time and space. If you value your time at less than 10 dollars an hour, parting out might be for you. There Re a few items everybody wants, D44, trans and some interior stuff that isn't reproduced yet. At the very end you are left with a chassis that nobody wants and is not mobile. I'm currently parting my 5th corvette and will be doing my 6th in the fall.
It is a Z07 with under 60k miles so don’t think 8k is a stretch although you very well maybe right about the 8k being too much but it would be worth that or close to that as this car is really clean, you could or at least I would eat off the undercarriage as it’s mint under there.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:31 PM
Dragon318
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
I'm currently parting my 5th corvette and will be doing my 6th in the fall.
You sir are exactly the person I want to know from. If you don’t mind sharing how much money are you getting from the vettes you are parting out?
Old 05-14-2018, 06:17 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... What makes you think that parting this car out will be easier on your bad knee than fixing it ... You make it sound like a very clean 'vette ... it would be a shame to part it out ... and you expected someone to pay 5G's for a broken car ? ... 3G's for a roller that needs paint ... where are you getting your pricing from ?

Last edited by C409; 05-14-2018 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: How much $ part out car?