C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help in buying a C4

Old 05-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Help in buying a C4

What's up guys.
How much would a well kept aqua blue coupe sell for with 103,000 miles. Black/white interior. I just want to make sure the price is right from the seller. Also they dont state the actual color. Is this aqua or is it teal? Or another color? Is 103,000 bad mileage for a 92 lt1? Does 40th anniversary mean anything in price or were all 92 corvettes anniversary models?

Old 05-14-2018, 12:37 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

*Correction*: it's 1993
Old 05-14-2018, 01:55 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Check the for sale section to see what people are asking for a similar car. Does everything work including the A/C? Automatic or 6 speed? I bought a 1992 a couple of years ago with 6 speed with 41K miles for $10K in very good condition.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:16 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,928 Posts

IMO this is not a good time to buy since I will ask more. Best time to buy is after the season is over, generally speaking. What does eBay list for SOLD transactions of that nature? KBB price? Those give me good starting points
Old 05-14-2018, 03:58 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

This listing cought me by suprise. Ive been looking at several aqua c4 vettes and all of them are 9k-12k. the reason i ask is because this particular vette is in a dealer at sacramento california, and they have it for sale for only $5998! I just called them and they say its in excellent condition for its year, it runs good, a/c works and everything. On the pictures it doesnt look bad, no even the weather stripping.

But what doesnt make sence to me is that they also have a black 95 m6 coupe with sort of ugly chrome wheels, listed for 11k. And that one has 133k miles.

Now i live 4 hours away, and im not sure its worth to take a look at it, but it sure looks like a steal.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:00 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jaime-Corvette
This listing cought me by suprise. Ive been looking at several aqua c4 vettes and all of them are 9k-12k. the reason i ask is because this particular vette is in a dealer at sacramento california, and they have it for sale for only $5998! I just called them and they say its in excellent condition for its year, it runs good, a/c works and everything. On the pictures it doesnt look bad, no even the weather stripping.

But what doesnt make sence to me is that they also have a black 95 m6 coupe with sort of ugly chrome wheels, listed for 11k. And that one has 133k miles.

Now i live 4 hours away, and im not sure its worth to take a look at it, but it sure looks like a steal.
I'd go with a PDI from a different dealership before I decide to buy
Old 05-14-2018, 04:13 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Even if you do not buy this car looking at it is a good education on what to look for and how it should feel driving a C4. Perhaps you can make it a fun trip and do something else in the area. Like Aklim says a PDI from another dealership is a good idea.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:08 PM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

In absolutely immaculate condition that car is barely worth 6k. You can't tell condition by pictures. They all pretty much look great in pictures and can out to be real turds in real life. It's really hard to tell with pictures. Hi resolution pictures can help.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The best way to buy a C4 is to drive as many as possible (at least a half dozen) before you decide which one to buy one.

Buying a C4 for the lowest possible price is not indicative of getting the best buy or a good deal.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:08 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

LOVE LOVE LOVE that color. my first choice, but ended up with polo green.

there are lots to be had that are similar price range or a little more.
keep searching!

color is bright aqua blue metallic*

Last edited by CVG323; 05-14-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:27 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

I already own a Red 95. Old and stiff bilstein shocks, and needs a little bit of cosmetic work inside and out, nothing bad. But I've always wanted Aqua, Quasar, or Admiral... mostly Aqua. It is my dream c4. I'm about ready to be in the market for one... too bad its corvette season.

Its either I sell my c4 to help purchase an Aqua with non black interior, or I give my c4 to my brother and he finishes it up and I save up a bit more for another one.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:22 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

In addition to the excellent advice here, I know that 100k miles is a service interval for lots of stuff (plugs, wires, various fluids, etc). Make sure they have been done. If not, walk away. Any dealership worth its salt will know what the car needs and take care of it prior to selling.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:40 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

I called them to talk a bit more about the car. I'm not sure but the guy on the other line didn't sound too happy to be on the phone with a customer and looked to be impatient. I wasnt finished talking to him before he hung up on me...
Huhh. I guess they dont want to sell the Corvette. I was really wanting to go check it out but now I'm busy not very sure.

I found another private seller in Nevada... Ima speak to him with the some of the advice given to me here.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:47 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Given the distance away, it may be difficult to find a reputable auto repair shop to do a used vehicle inspection on the car. Inspections of these types typically runs around $125 to $150 but you get a written report of the overall condition and a list of work that may need to be done.

One thing about the white interior is that is is a PITA to keep clean. While it doesn't build up as much heat when sitting in the sun, it's still lots of extra work to clean.

As to the price, that's not too bad, but it's hard to know what sort of maintenance has been done on the car and what may need immediate work. A dealership may tell you anything just to get you interested in the car.

I would suggest you look at other cars and drive them. I would be upset at the dealer if it turns out I took the time to go there and it turns out that the car isn't exactly in the condition they said it was. You should also set a budget and find the best car for the money you want to spend.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:04 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DGXR
In addition to the excellent advice here, I know that 100k miles is a service interval for lots of stuff (plugs, wires, various fluids, etc). Make sure they have been done. If not, walk away. Any dealership worth its salt will know what the car needs and take care of it prior to selling.
True but I'd rather they didn't do it. I want to control what fluids are used, what parts are replaced. If they do it, they will want more money.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:05 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I called them to talk a bit more about the car. I'm not sure but the guy on the other line didn't sound too happy to be on the phone with a customer and looked to be impatient. I wasnt finished talking to him before he hung up on me...
Huhh. I guess they dont want to sell the Corvette. I was really wanting to go check it out but now I'm busy not very sure.

I found another private seller in Nevada... Ima speak to him with the some of the advice given to me here.
Guy in front of me is more of a prospect that some Joe Blow on the phone.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:29 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

I live in sacramento,be careful with small dealers. what dealership has this car? I could peek at it for you & give you my 0.2 cents on it. I am no expert but I looked at a ton of them before I found my 94.And let you know if its worth the drive to see it.

Last edited by C5 4me; 05-17-2018 at 09:30 PM. Reason: add more words

Get notified of new replies

To Help in buying a C4

Old 05-17-2018, 09:42 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5 4me
I live in sacramento,be careful with small dealers. what dealership has this car? I could peek at it for you & give you my 0.2 cents on it. I am no expert but I looked at a ton of them before I found my 94.And let you know if its worth the drive to see it.
The dealership is called 916 Auto Sales.
This is a link to the car listing in their website: https://www.916autosale.com/inventory/details/40700976

Their address and phone:
4020 Marysville Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95838

(916) 826-4043
Old 05-17-2018, 10:04 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

1. This is general advice, not specific to the C4. Take as much time as you can to look it over. Make sure you go early enough to have plenty of light. Look over everything under the hood, under the car, open all storage compartments inside, try all the various buttons, etc... Ideally start it up and let it idle while your looking it over. You want it to idle long enough to get up to operating temperature. Listen for any odd noises under the hood, and watch the coolant temp on the dash. Don’t go buy the analog gauge. Hit the “gauges” button on the control panel to display coolant temp in the center under the speedometer. This will give you a digital temp that is more accurate than the analog gauge. While it is idleing check to make sure both electric fans cycle on up front, and watch the temp to make sure it doesn’t go over about 230, which is about the upper limit that a stock LT1 should hit while idling in hot weather. Then take it for a drive and try to get it out on the road at least 20 minutes with a lot of that being at steady cruising speeds. Between idleing and driving it, you want it to run long enough to complete its diagnostic cycles and trip any codes that may be present to set off the service engine light. An unscrupulous seller may have unhooked the battery to clear any codes, and your goal is to run it long enough to see if any codes that may have been cleared will come back.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:19 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

$6k would be worth the trip if it isn't too far to at least check it out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help in buying a C4