C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help in buying a C4

Old 05-18-2018, 09:52 AM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Default No Problem

Originally Posted by Jaime-Corvette
The dealership is called 916 Auto Sales.
This is a link to the car listing in their website: https://www.916autosale.com/inventory/details/40700976

Their address and phone:
4020 Marysville Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95838

(916) 826-4043
I will try to get out there this weekend
Old 05-19-2018, 03:33 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Default Save your fuel

Iffy car lot
Broke ant

Old 05-19-2018, 07:34 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
The best way to buy a C4 is to drive as many as possible (at least a half dozen) before you decide which one to buy one.

Buying a C4 for the lowest possible price is not indicative of getting the best buy or a good deal.

OP: From the moment a new car leaves the lot, the resale price range gets wider every year, every mile...all depending on how it was driven and maintained, etc., etc.
Driving several and comparing prices is one of the best ways to become wise as to what is or is not a good buy.
We can help you put a price on repairs like carpet, paint, etc.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:54 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 4me
Iffy car lot
Broke ant

You definitely did save me some money and time. Thanks for looking out.

The hunt will continue.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:16 AM
C5 4me
Drifting

The hunt will continue.
Cool,the white seats were the best part of the car,Dash pad under steering wheel was hanging down on one side. I would have passed on it if I was looking for a C4
Old 05-21-2018, 12:31 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

somebody is smoking Hash...Its not a haTchback, but a hashback.

Beautiful car, but the price(low/good) + car dealer = be careful & do your homework
Old 05-21-2018, 12:33 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by vette196
somebody is smoking Hash...Its not a haTchback, but a hashback.

Beautiful car, but the price(low/good) + car dealer = be careful & do your homework
Now wait a minute. There is enough trunk space, not to mention the compartments behind the seat to transport some hash. If so, it might be worth more. I mean, if a **** star came with the car, it could be interesting especially if there is enough head room.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:37 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

. I mean, if a **** star came with the car, it could be interesting especially if there is enough head room. [/QUOTE]

LMAO
Old 05-21-2018, 04:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

The hunt will continue.
If you are set to buy a C4 ID suggest waiting till I need to sell while you don't need to buy. Sometime in September on. Think of it as a boat. I made a few bucks selling a Jetski Bought in late October sold in spring after playing with it for a season. Seller said he'd get more in spring. Told him that I would NOT budge till spring then.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:48 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

My comments having just bought a c4 and in bight aqua metallic.

1. The price is right if its in perfect condition.

2. Make damn sure it was not repainted anywhere. You will regret it later if it was. Id walk on any c4 that even had one panel resprayed.

3. About BAM.. its not the most masculine color. Have you seen one in person? I like mine but had to use just the right wheels to make it look a little on the tough side.

4. If its a weekend toy that white on black is the best color combo hands down. If its a daily driver Id be concerned about the white. that being said, if you want to trade for my light brown interior look me up

5. with those miles Id want a compression test and preferably a leak down.

6. Watch the transmission temp. if it gets above 220f on a avg to aggressive drive Id walk or be prepared to dump $3k into a transmission.

7. Tires may look great, check the build date. Tires are not cheap and I didnt plan on dropping nearly $1k on my car because the tires had full tread but they were dry rotted.

Id plan on dropping $2k on this car regardless of what you find.

This all being said, and no disrespect intended, I love that I own a BAM car.. its a real head turner, you dont see many and it rides the line between tough and "pretty".. In the bright sun its more blue than green which I like. But like anything its subjective.. had a friend say, "that isnt blue, its green!".. I would not want black, red or white myself. If I could choose a color out of all the late c4 colors Id choose ... hmmm what would I choose.. Oh, one of the blues.. then my next choice would be BAM.

If you are committed to BAM Id make the 4 hr trip after speaking with the dealer at length. Nice thing about 100k miles is it got past the dreaded 70-90k miles point which is where things really start to break.. could have a new transmission.

One more comment.. it looks like a stock exhaust.. if it is it means to me the PO didnt hop up the car and drive it like a fool.. thats what I look for.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:09 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by barchetta1
5. with those miles Id want a compression test and preferably a leak down.

6. Watch the transmission temp. if it gets above 220f on a avg to aggressive drive Id walk or be prepared to dump $3k into a transmission.

7. Tires may look great, check the build date. Tires are not cheap and I didnt plan on dropping nearly $1k on my car because the tires had full tread but they were dry rotted.

Id plan on dropping $2k on this car regardless of what you find.

If you are committed to BAM Id make the 4 hr trip after speaking with the dealer at length. Nice thing about 100k miles is it got past the dreaded 70-90k miles point which is where things really start to break.. could have a new transmission.

One more comment.. it looks like a stock exhaust.. if it is it means to me the PO didnt hop up the car and drive it like a fool.. thats what I look for.
With any used car, I want a compression test, leakdown test and a full scan so that they can't try to hide any codes by pulling bulbs. Also I'd want a mechanic to put it on a rack so we can see anything underneath that looks clean on top. Sorry if the seller doesn't like it. I have been with too many sellers and their surprised looks, "OMG!! I never knew it was.....". to take their word for it. I treat them as liars and crooks and I have no issue if they do that for me. After all, few if any will take my personal word on payment or even a personal check. Trust is earned NOT given.

Is there one in the LT1 cars?

Good point. Too many people go by thread depth alone.

Assuming it is in decent shape, sure. If not that $2000 gets eaten up quick. Tires and shocks will take you there.

Maybe but let's say you have a new transmission. Who built it? Something like Rossler? No problem. A rebuilt trans because the guy cheaped out and used a tech college student who needed a project (yes, I have seen this), no thanks. Still, the bushings are not going to be trustworthy after all these years.

It does mean he didn't rice it up. Doesn't mean he didn't drive it like he stole it. I drive my W220 hard. In 30K on Michelin Premiers, I wore the rear down to 1/32nd and the fronts were 8/32nd because I forgot to rotate it.

Last edited by aklim; 05-24-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help in buying a C4