C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 10:03 AM
rickoc4
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 suspension

Want opinions. Have a C4 Sport with adjustable FX3 suspension. Cant really see spending a grand plus to get it back correct when standard shocks seem perfectly fine. Car has 80K and used just for casual sunny day rides. If so what shocks are recommended. Not going to be tracked. Just sunny joy rides.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rickoc4
Want opinions. Have a C4 Sport with adjustable FX3 suspension. Cant really see spending a grand plus to get it back correct when standard shocks seem perfectly fine. Car has 80K and used just for casual sunny day rides. If so what shocks are recommended. Not going to be tracked. Just sunny joy rides.

Would you spend a grand on tires ???
Old 05-18-2018, 01:20 PM
rickoc4
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shocks

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
Would you spend a grand on tires ???
I have other cars worth more that I do more with that I would gladly put that money in. The C4s are only 8-10K cars and just can't yet justify that when a good casual ride is available for a fraction. I also worry about digital dash issues and constantly battle my push button climate controls.

I assume these cars will some day appreciate when enough of them have been thrashed or left to die but they made enough of them to make me wonder if that will happen while I might still drive this one.

Appreciate the input. Truly haven't decided yet.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:27 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by rickoc4
Someone recently posted about the FX3 systems and he couldn't find certain parts. I would go with Bilstiens (I went with stock AC Delcos). Go to the FS section, someone had a set of 4 for sale with low mileage.

I'm still wondering why CR would say "would you spend $1K on tires"
Old 05-18-2018, 03:57 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

On the cheap end, many people recommend KYB shocks for a C4. I guess they're okay. They are cheap. For street driving, I have been very impressed with Koni Sports (yellow), which are adjustable for rebound and can give a very good ride quality while providing good control. Those are still twin-tube shocks, but they have good valving and a lifetime warranty. Very possible a better shock that is actually cheaper (~$700/set) are the Ridetech HQ dampers, which are also adjustable for rebound. They are monotubes (more desirable) that use Fox internals, and also effectively have a lifetime warranty.

ETA: As grandspt notes below, the adjustment ***** on the Ridetechs are really easy to access, unlike the Koni rears which must be removed to adjust them.

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 05-18-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:04 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

I just installed the Ridetech HQ adjustable shocks and I am extremely happy with them. It cured a problem with my rear suspension that I have been trying to chase down for over two years.
The adjustability works great, smooth ride or firm ride only a few clicks away and easy to access the adjustment ****.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:37 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

No track time, okay. But you drive a true sports car. Even with "spirited" driving the FX3 is superior. If only from a safety perspective.

Comparing FX3 to standard shocks is not really fair. They're worlds apart in performance. If I can find the video comparison, I'll post a link. FX3 is astonishing.

You're considering an amputation over a cast, IMO.

Then again, my 'vette is NOT an investment. It gets driven daily and often goes for a spirited drive in the mountains. Like last week at the Tail of the Dragon.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:13 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

With the FX3 system, you need to find out what trouble codes are in the computer so you can start to figure out just how much money it will cost to bring the system back to working order. IIRC, there are 34 possible error codes for the Selective Ride Control system.

Bilstein had been able to repair the shocks but from what has been mentioned here, they no longer have parts for the rear shocks. The actuators are available but they are pricey. There is a guy who can rebuild the actuators.

Given the potential of paying 4 figures for getting the FX3 system back in operation, it may make sense to just go witth something like Bilstein Sport shocks or even the Z51 Bilstein shocks. FX3 was a good system when it came out. Bilstein had worked with Ferrari to build an adjustable shock system and by 1989, Bilstein adapted that Ferrari system for the Corvette. At the time, it was a very good system.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:01 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Given the potential of paying 4 figures for getting the FX3 system back in operation, it may make sense to just go witth something like Bilstein Sport shocks or even the Z51 Bilstein shocks. FX3 was a good system when it came out. Bilstein had worked with Ferrari to build an adjustable shock system and by 1989, Bilstein adapted that Ferrari system for the Corvette. At the time, it was a very good system.
I agree with all of this. These are 30-year-old designs. Even in perfect working order, they are not as good as modern monotube dampers with adjustable rates. If someone needs them on a car for car show originality, I get that. But if OE parts aren't an issue, then you can have better damping for a lot cheaper than rehabbing these. Honestly, if I bought a C4 with the FX3 option and the OE shocks were in good shape, I'd seriously consider taking them off and storing them to keep with the car, and installing something current and cheaper like the Ridetechs.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 suspension

Quick Reply: C4 suspension