Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 + memories vs C6

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 06:51 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Actually what would you dad say? Would he say keep the car or buy what you want? Memories will always be there...the C4 is just an object...granted yours is one that helps to re-enforce a memory, but sometimes it's easy for people to sentimental about past rather then looking towards the future.

I don't necessarily disagree with the other posters, but at the same time I have a feeling your dad would say to go for the C6.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:39 AM
BobNJ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the C4 ----

If you can afford to add a C6, there is room in the stable for another Vette, have both.
The early cars also catch more attention than the never cars. Drive the C4 on special days.

Bob
Old 05-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

I guess I will be the one that goes against the crowd. I say sell the C4. While you have some fond memories of your father you only live once. Those memories you have are forever ingrained in your memory. Why not make some new memories with a different Corvette? I worked in the automotive field for years and got to a point myself where the last thing I wanted to do when I got home was to work on my own vehicles. Your father owned a C6 as well so if you opt for a C6 it could always be in loving memory of him.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:38 AM
L98auto
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I can see both sides of this. My father was not sentimental about things like I am. He probably would have said go for the C6. However, here's a little story. Years and years ago I when I worked at the Corvette/resto shop, my dad and I were out buying some motor oil or something. I pulled out my credit card to pay, which was an Eckler's Visa with the Corvettes on it. The cashier liked it and asked what year Vette I had. I replied "unfortunately, those who work on Vettes for a living often can't afford them." (this was before C4 values had totally tanked) I always felt my dad heard that little quip and was likely the reason he offered me the '86. My mother always said he wanted me to have that car.

Long story short, this thread has brought up enough memories, that I will keep the '86. My wife understands its importance and is sympathetic, but just wishes I didn't need something so big to be nostalgic about, lol. If I didn't live in snowy old PA, I'd ditch my Jeep and 5.0 for a C6. Maybe when I retire down south. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:11 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Glad you are keeping the C4.

For me they are just more fun to drive than the later generations (although I have a C5 also). Driving one then the other is fun. They are different.

As for the C6, try a different strategy. What worked for me was to "sell" it as an economy car. The 6 speeds typically get about 30 mpg on the highway. I talked my wife into a C4 6 speed based on it being an economy car and better for my commute. The C5 6 speeds are a little better highway mpg, and I suspect the C6's are pretty good too.

Just a thought. It worked for me.

Good luck.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:10 PM
1stVetteFinally
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by L98auto
I can see both sides of this. My father was not sentimental about things like I am. He probably would have said go for the C6. However, here's a little story. Years and years ago I when I worked at the Corvette/resto shop, my dad and I were out buying some motor oil or something. I pulled out my credit card to pay, which was an Eckler's Visa with the Corvettes on it. The cashier liked it and asked what year Vette I had. I replied "unfortunately, those who work on Vettes for a living often can't afford them." (this was before C4 values had totally tanked) I always felt my dad heard that little quip and was likely the reason he offered me the '86. My mother always said he wanted me to have that car.

Long story short, this thread has brought up enough memories, that I will keep the '86. My wife understands its importance and is sympathetic, but just wishes I didn't need something so big to be nostalgic about, lol. If I didn't live in snowy old PA, I'd ditch my Jeep and 5.0 for a C6. Maybe when I retire down south. Thanks for all the replies.
I'd keep it also. I'm kinda in a similar situation. I currently have 2 vehicles. One is a '93 Corvette Convertible w/ 154k miles (my 2nd Vette). Love driving that car. Top down, plenty of power on tap, and looks good. My other vehicle is a '03 F150 XL w/ 330k miles, a "basic" work truck. It's not loaded with options, infact it's pretty much option free. The special thing about the truck though is it was my Grandpa's. And because of that, I will never let that truck leave my family. I may pass it on to my brother, or a cousin, but it would only be to someone that has my Grandpa's blood in his or her veins. The F150 has already seen one Vette come and go, and it's not going anywhere. As long as I can still get in it and take a ride on the back roads, Grandpa will never fully be gone.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:35 PM
Lingenfelter
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by L98auto

Old 05-19-2018, 05:18 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

If I didn't live in snowy old PA,
I feel your pain. We live in snowy old Ohio. I was in Pa. this morning, in REALLY SNOWY ERIE :-). Picked up a set of heads to send to Lloyd Elliot.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:01 AM
mark970
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 209 Posts

I have both...C4 and C6 and love the differences. The C4 is for wanting to go out and flat-out enjoy your driving experience and the C6 is absolutely perfect as a daily driver (not to mention just a beautiful looking car). I actually just sold one of my C4's to make room for my C6 but I still have (and always will have) my '95 ZF.

I see so many comments (in all generations of Corvette forums) where people constantly put down another generation and some of the times that person has never even driven the other generations that they are slamming (and believe me, I've caused my share of conflict with my dislike for the C5...BUT I've driven them, many times and my feelings are "mine").
C4 and C6 are absolutely different but they both have their strong points and their purpose. We all have different reasons for owning/driving a Corvette...
Attached Images  

Last edited by mark970; 05-20-2018 at 11:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Cool Runnings (05-21-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 01:10 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Keep the C4, buy another C6. 2 vettes > 1. Then look for more.

What good is life if you can't drive a different vette every day of the week?
Old 05-22-2018, 10:32 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

I wouldnt consider a c6 a trade up vs a properly modd c4.

wrong wording.

keep the c4 and get the c6 . Different experiences. Each one will make you smile

if you need what peanut $$ you can get out of a c4 then you shouldnt be buying another toy.

Last edited by dizwiz24; 05-22-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:32 PM
OH THREE Z
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 280 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

sorry if i sound like an *** but i cant imagine being told what i can and cant do by my wife. As long as you are earning, the lights are on, bellies are full and the bills are paid why does she have the right to TELL you what you can do??

I think keeping your dads car was the right decision but i hope someday soon you get the C6 as a stablemate

good luck

Quick Reply: C4 + memories vs C6