Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Thoughts on the spare tire carrier subject

Old 05-19-2018, 08:37 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Default Thoughts on the spare tire carrier subject

I have removed the carrier 2 years ago, I think it seemed to quiet the car down a little (other people told me that it was quieter, but they did not know I did anything)

How does it help with airflow or drag?

Am I better off having it on or off if empty anyways?

I know it has been discussed about diffuses, but newer cars have a flat bottom, it must be for a couple reasons.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:15 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

I believe it's part of the rear impact absorption should a crash occur, personally I'd keep it and the spare on the car. Plus having a spare should you get a flat is probably not a bad idea.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:53 AM
mark970
Drifting

Received 273 Likes on 209 Posts

this is an interesting topic and I'm curious what peoples opinions and logic is.
Both of my C4's have the cover and both of them have the tire missing and I've kept the cover on both cars and haven't noticed any noise from that area (i do make sure the nut is tight).
I had no idea this was possibly part of its rear safety as well?...

Like Pologreen, I've thought about removing them and i bet i would have if i heard rattles but honestly, the main reason i kept them in was i felt it was a good rock deflector and helped to keep that part of the car cleaner and free from collateral damages.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:33 AM
sprink94
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 76 Posts

I have thought it would be a cool place to put a Nitrous bottle...
Old 05-20-2018, 11:00 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by bac22
I believe it's part of the rear impact absorption should a crash occur, personally I'd keep it and the spare on the car. Plus having a spare should you get a flat is probably not a bad idea.
The spare tire and carrier are part of the rear impact absorption system. If you look at the way the carrier and tire mount to the car, it's pointed downwards at the back of the differential. So rear collision forces would be transferred in that direction. But I think that only low-speed rear-end collisions would protect the car.

At least with the carrier and spare tire, you do have the ability to change a flat tire and the carrier will adjust to hold the OEM tire and wheel. Beats putting a tire and wheel in the cargo area....
Old 05-20-2018, 11:03 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
I have removed the carrier 2 years ago, I think it seemed to quiet the car down a little (other people told me that it was quieter, but they did not know I did anything)

How does it help with airflow or drag?

Am I better off having it on or off if empty anyways?

I know it has been discussed about diffuses, but newer cars have a flat bottom, it must be for a couple reasons.
IDK about airflow, drag or weight savings (obviously it does) especially when you put a stiffening bar there. I do know it is pretty handy to have when you have a flat in the middle of I94 and you don't want to wait 15 minutes for a tow truck to haul you somewhere. BTW, there seems to be a time dilation when you talk to tow trucks. Their 15 minutes seems to be over an hour or more.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:21 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by mark970
this is an interesting topic and I'm curious what peoples opinions and logic is.
Both of my C4's have the cover and both of them have the tire missing and I've kept the cover on both cars and haven't noticed any noise from that area (i do make sure the nut is tight).
I had no idea this was possibly part of its rear safety as well?...

Like Pologreen, I've thought about removing them and i bet i would have if i heard rattles but honestly, the main reason i kept them in was i felt it was a good rock deflector and helped to keep that part of the car cleaner and free from collateral damages.
I should have made it clear the noise I was talking about was exhaust resonance.

My car will rattle windows and things on walls in some homes, now that I have the tray removed I think it cut down on some of the noise that might have some how lingered in that cavity like a rumble.

I heard no rattles when I had the carrier in, but I wonder if it helps with MPG, not that I it's my goal though either.
The following users liked this post:
mark970 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 07:49 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Better off with the carrier off? I really don't know.

If you are a racer, yes leave it off. If you are driver, put it back on and thank yourself if you ever get a flat tire.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:18 PM
Newtomevette
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Okay, maybe I'm missing something here but in all my years of driving cars (40 years and counting) from GTO's to my pickup truck, I never once thought "hey that old spare tire back there... its just taking up space, think I'll leave that bad boy home". One reason I bought a C4 was the fact that it still had a spare tire instead of run-flat tires like the C5 or later cars. The whole point is if you get a flat you can fix it by using the spare. If it was actually engineered as part of impact protection even better, because my spare is right where it belongs, under the car.
The following users liked this post:
DGXR (05-22-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 11:06 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I'd like some way to get around So if you replace my car with run flats and delete the spare, fine. If not I will run The spare
Old 05-21-2018, 01:06 AM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Newtomevette
Okay, maybe I'm missing something here but in all my years of driving cars (40 years and counting) from GTO's to my pickup truck, I never once thought "hey that old spare tire back there... its just taking up space, think I'll leave that bad boy home". One reason I bought a C4 was the fact that it still had a spare tire instead of run-flat tires like the C5 or later cars. The whole point is if you get a flat you can fix it by using the spare. If it was actually engineered as part of impact protection even better, because my spare is right where it belongs, under the car.
In my 20 years of driving I have only had to install the spare tire on the side of the road one time. Knock on wood. That's not to say I haven't used a spare on multiple occasions, I just have only been stranded that way once. All the other times were for convenience, as in getting to work or getting to the tire shop the next day.

I don't have a carrier or spare on my C4 and I have always taken the spare tire out of my other hot rods to save weight. If I go on a road trip, AAA will help and I also take a roadside kit. For the Vette I have a plug kit, 2 big cans of fix-a-flat and a small foot pump and it all fits in the compartment behind the passenger seat along with a serpentine belt, zip ties, a few tools and some gloves. When I am just out cruising the town, all that stuff stays in the garage except one can of fix-a-flat.

Last edited by Krusty84; 05-21-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:58 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 190 Likes on 157 Posts

Old 05-21-2018, 08:45 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Newtomevette
One reason I bought a C4 was the fact that it still had a spare tire instead of run-flat tires like the C5 or later cars.

The whole point is if you get a flat you can fix it by using the spare. If it was actually engineered as part of impact protection even better, because my spare is right where it belongs, under the car.
Not sure I follow but don't the cars without the spare have run flats or self sealing or even with a hard core support, which are able to get you somewhere? With lower profile tires, I would think it would be better in case of a sudden bead separation, to have some instead of no tire, to drive on.

When I had a blowout on the interstate having to pull of on the right side and changing the left tire really made me think of the run flats very hard.
​​​​​
Old 05-21-2018, 08:51 AM
fredk
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Torch that looks great. I took my carrier and spare off years ago for the strip and never put it back on.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:38 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

well apart from all the flat tire concerns

I would suspect that the carrier does affect airflow under the car in a positive way,

I remember reading a thread a few years ago (cant even remember what forum it was on) from someone that ran a c4 on the salt flats - they werent allowed any aero aids in the class they were running but found the car ran faster with the spare tire carrier fitted AND removing the rear number plate !
Old 05-21-2018, 12:44 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blackozvet
well apart from all the flat tire concerns

I would suspect that the carrier does affect airflow under the car in a positive way,

I remember reading a thread a few years ago (cant even remember what forum it was on) from someone that ran a c4 on the salt flats - they werent allowed any aero aids in the class they were running but found the car ran faster with the spare tire carrier fitted AND removing the rear number plate !
Not sure how the number plate changes anything if it is the rear one. Front one, sure since it is at high speeds where even a tenth of a mph makes a case. These guys measure speed to 3 decimal places so....
Old 05-21-2018, 01:26 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I have considered this myself.....my 85 I am sure has the original back there I am sure....probably is flat, dry rotted to hell..........

It sounds like some of you have no AAA insurance or towing coverage????

In all my years of driving, I can tell you my flat tire problems while driving since the early 80's......hmm....

I would say 0 to negligible....

If anyone here is willing to change a flat on the side of the road with semi's and drunk/inattentive drivers propelling inches by........

Go for it.......my life is worth more than that....

As far the car being safer.......IDK....haven't seen the evidence either way......

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on the spare tire carrier subject

Old 05-21-2018, 01:33 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 190 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by fredk
Torch that looks great. I took my carrier and spare off years ago for the strip and never put it back on.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
I have considered this myself.....my 85 I am sure has the original back there I am sure....probably is flat, dry rotted to hell..........

It sounds like some of you have no AAA insurance or towing coverage????

In all my years of driving, I can tell you my flat tire problems while driving since the early 80's......hmm.... I would say 0 to negligible....

If anyone here is willing to change a flat on the side of the road with semi's and drunk/inattentive drivers propelling inches by........ Go for it.......my life is worth more than that....

As far the car being safer.......IDK....haven't seen the evidence either way......
As was mine but I found the size and had Tire Rack sell me a fresh one.

Gave up on it eons ago.

5 or 6 maybe? Ran over something sharp.

On a highway, it is risky if it is on the road side. Driver side is fine. Choice is dependent on whether you want to wait 15 minutes (Tow truck time for 2 hours) or get going sooner. \
Old 05-21-2018, 04:36 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
I see all sides I guess depending on individual preferences....

But aside from that-Torch Targa94....

Compelling reason to do it!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on the spare tire carrier subject