C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Exhaust drone!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:38 AM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Exhaust drone!!

My car came with muffler deletes already on it. It’s got the LT4 hotcam kit, and the exhaust is stock to the axle back, with the muffler delete pipes. It sounds wicked at idle, but apparently I’m getting old because the drone inside is driving crazy!! Once upon a time I would have liked it, but now I wouldn’t mind having a car I can at least carry on a conversation in!

Anyone have recent experience with the OBX cat back system? I know they often have fitment issues, but I have a welder and am not worried if I have to tweak it to get it to fit. Mostly wondering what the sound is like? I don’t necessarily want a quiet exhaust, just something that’s quieter in the cabin but still sounds good when you get on it. I didn’t spend much for this car, so I’m trying to keep cost reasonable. Another option is welding some mufflers into the delete pipes?
Old 05-22-2018, 11:51 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Corsa is the only system that has a quiet idle and cruise but screams when you get on it.

Otherwise you can try adding X-pipes or other cross-over pipes to cancel the resonant waves that cause the drone. Some put steel wool in one outlet when they want it quieter.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:26 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by vader86
Corsa is the only system that has a quiet idle and cruise but screams when you get on it.

Otherwise you can try adding X-pipes or other cross-over pipes to cancel the resonant waves that cause the drone. Some put steel wool in one outlet when they want it quieter.
Get the CORSAs. For the money (not inexpensive) they are the best at killing drone while sounding good. As a bonus, they also look good in polished stainless.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust drone!!

Quick Reply: Exhaust drone!!