Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Baby needs new shoes. And new feet...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 08:06 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,385 Likes on 917 Posts

Default Baby needs new shoes. And new feet...

I've been kicking this can down the road for a lot longer than I should have, and it's time to get off the dime and get it done. My '94 ragtop car has been wearing a set of chrome, reproduction C5 thinspokes for at least 15 years. I've loved the look of them, but they've always had some "issues," and the tires are overdue for a one-way ticket to the scrap heap.

I'm looking for a fresh set of wheels that are as close as possible to what's on there now, which I believe to be 17x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear. I see that OE Wheels offers a similar wheel in 17x8.5 and 18x9.5, which seems to be the only two sizes they offer in this style of wheel. I don't want the deep-dish option.

The questions I have are:

Who's running 17x8.5 and 18x9.5 wheel sets on their late-C4? Are you happy with this staggered size combination? Any problems, clearance issues, etc?

Whose tires are you running on them, what sizes did you choose, and are you happy with them?

Is there a vendor that's offering these same wheels in different sizes?

TIA for any feedback.

Live well,

SJW
Old 05-30-2018, 10:04 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm not putting new wheels on, but I am going to get the wheels refinished on my '89, and I'm going with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, for new tires in a 275/40-17 all around.

I've been researching tires for the last month, and the new Firestones seem to be the ticket. That and they aren't that expensive either, $130ish per tire, and the do have a rebate going on right now.

Just look around, you will find something.

D.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:32 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Why do you want to stagger the width and diameters? There's no need for that for fitment or performance reasons. You could go with 18x9.5 at all four corners with proper offset (56mm), and 275/35r18 tires all around. If you just want that front 17x8.5 for a particular look (which is all opinion, of course), then you'd want to match that rear tire size with 245/45/r17 tires up front. You could also run 9.5 in front and 11 in back, or 11 at all four corners.

If you decide to run 18s at both ends, you might consider the Forgestar CF5. You could get their "semi-concave" in 18x9.5. Any wider and you'd be into their "concave" design, which may not appeal to you if you don't like "deep dish" looks. Mine are 18x11 at all four corners and so "concave" design, but this will give you an idea of how those wheels look on a late C4:

Old 05-31-2018, 12:40 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Why do you want to stagger the width and diameters? There's no need for that for fitment or performance reasons. You could go with 18x9.5 at all four corners with proper offset (56mm), and 275/35r18 tires all around. If you just want that front 17x8.5 for a particular look (which is all opinion, of course), then you'd want to match that rear tire size with 245/45/r17 tires up front. You could also run 9.5 in front and 11 in back, or 11 at all four corners.

If you decide to run 18s at both ends, you might consider the Forgestar CF5. You could get their "semi-concave" in 18x9.5. Any wider and you'd be into their "concave" design, which may not appeal to you if you don't like "deep dish" looks. Mine are 18x11 at all four corners and so "concave" design, but this will give you an idea of how those wheels look on a late C4:

I've been trying to find a picture of Forgestar CF5's on a C4 forever. I ordered some in March and they're supposed to be here on June 5th. Look great. What color is that (looks like gunmetal?) I went with brilliant silver
Old 05-31-2018, 01:26 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
I've been trying to find a picture of Forgestar CF5's on a C4 forever. I ordered some in March and they're supposed to be here on June 5th. Look great. What color is that (looks like gunmetal?) I went with brilliant silver
They are Gunmetal finish, yes. I like the look, but silver would be great also. You're gonna like the way they look.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:57 PM
twichy2011
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm running firestone indy 500s as well. So far i have about 10k miles on them. They are really good tires! Great grip and they tread water very well!

Connor Coughlin
Old 05-31-2018, 03:18 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

I forgot to mention tires. I have BFG Rival S tires on those Forgestars, but you don't want those for street tires. On my sawblades, I have a new set of Riken Raptor A/S tires that I bought from Tire Rack. They are grippy and decent-riding tires, but the best thing about them is the price. I think they're up to ~$80ea for 275s either in the 17" or 18" wheel size. I recommend them as a budget-friendly, high-performance tire.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:20 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Need A Vette
I'm not putting new wheels on, but I am going to get the wheels refinished on my '89, and I'm going with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, for new tires in a 275/40-17 all around.

I've been researching tires for the last month, and the new Firestones seem to be the ticket. That and they aren't that expensive either, $130ish per tire, and the do have a rebate going on right now.

Just look around, you will find something.

D.
Thanks for the response. I'll take a look at those Firestones.

Live well,

SJW
Old 06-03-2018, 04:41 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the reply.

I guess the main motivation to go with staggered widths is that the factory sent them out the door with staggered sets. Primarily, if I understand correctly, to reduce tramlining. Staggering the diameters isn't important to me. What are important to me are the following:

1. Road behavior, including noise (quieter = better), minimzing tramlining, and traction (chiefly dry traction as this car isn't often driven in sloppy weather).

2. Diameter match to OEM (for speedometer accuracy), which I believe was 26.0" for the rear 285/40-17 tires.

3. Decent tread life.

My preference would be another set of Michelin Pilot Sports, but I don't think I can get them in sizes that would suit.

Nice looking car you have there. I like those wheels, but I like the look of these and it's what I'm essentially hoping to replicate:

Live well,

SJW
Old 06-04-2018, 12:06 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SJW
Thanks for the reply.

I guess the main motivation to go with staggered widths is that the factory sent them out the door with staggered sets. Primarily, if I understand correctly, to reduce tramlining. Staggering the diameters isn't important to me. What are important to me are the following:

1. Road behavior, including noise (quieter = better), minimzing tramlining, and traction (chiefly dry traction as this car isn't often driven in sloppy weather).

2. Diameter match to OEM (for speedometer accuracy), which I believe was 26.0" for the rear 285/40-17 tires.

3. Decent tread life.

My preference would be another set of Michelin Pilot Sports, but I don't think I can get them in sizes that would suit.
All the C4s in later years that came with the Z07 or Z51 suspension packages came with 17x9.5 wheels at all four corners, with 275/40/17 tires. Those are 25.6" diameter. Also, the ZR1 and GS came with 25.6"-diameter tires. I doubt the factory changed the speedometer calibration between the two different tire diameters. It's very minimal. My 96 came with the taller 255 and 285 tires, and the speedo is within 1-2mph of accuracy with 25.6" tires. So speedo accuracy isn't an issue: with either size, it's correct within GM's margin of error.

I agree the 8.5" fronts were a response to complaints of tramlining. If you want to replicate that, by all means do so. But I still recommend sticking with 25.6" (245-width) tires, partially for looks and mostly for better tire selection. Tire Rack shows five different Michelin Pilot Sports in 245/45/17, and even more in 245/40/18. So the 25.6" diameter tire in either wheel diameter is by far your best option. Match it to a 275/40/17 or 275/35/18 on a 9.5" wheel in back.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:48 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by SJW
Thanks for the reply.

3. Decent tread life.

Nice looking car you have there. I like those wheels, but I like the look of these and it's what I'm essentially hoping to replicate:

Live well,

SJW

Would look a lot better lowered a bit IMO. All that fender gap!!
Old 06-04-2018, 08:06 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

All the C4s in later years that came with the Z07 or Z51 suspension packages came with 17x9.5 wheels at all four corners, with 275/40/17 tires. Those are 25.6" diameter. Also, the ZR1 and GS came with 25.6"-diameter tires. I doubt the factory changed the speedometer calibration between the two different tire diameters. It's very minimal. My 96 came with the taller 255 and 285 tires, and the speedo is within 1-2mph of accuracy with 25.6" tires. So speedo accuracy isn't an issue: with either size, it's correct within GM's margin of error.
The tires that are on the rear of the car now (26.7" diameter) cause the speedo to read ~2mph low at highway speeds. That's always bugged me a little, but I could much more easily accept a deviation of 1-2mph to the high side.

I agree the 8.5" fronts were a response to complaints of tramlining. If you want to replicate that, by all means do so. But I still recommend sticking with 25.6" (245-width) tires, partially for looks and mostly for better tire selection. Tire Rack shows five different Michelin Pilot Sports in 245/45/17, and even more in 245/40/18. So the 25.6" diameter tire in either wheel diameter is by far your best option. Match it to a 275/40/17 or 275/35/18 on a 9.5" wheel in back.
Now this is exactly the sort of excellent advice I was seeking when I posted this inquiry. Opening things up to gain a broader range of available tires to choose from would be great. I would love to be able to re-shoe this car with another set of Pilot Sports. They're the only tires I've ever had on either of my C4s, and I can't say enough good things about them. They have been phenomenal tires.

What would be the ideal wheel widths for the tire sizes you suggested here?

Many thanks in advance!

Live well,

SJW
Old 06-04-2018, 08:14 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Pwnage1337
Would look a lot better lowered a bit IMO. All that fender gap!!
The gap is actually slightly smaller than it was with the factory wheels and tires on the car.

Having said that, I'll agree that it would look even better with less gap, but lowering this car is strictly out of the question. My driveway approaches the garage floor's concrete slab on such a steep incline that the X-brace under the car high-center-scrapes while crossing the edge of the garage slab when the tank is full, at the car's current ride height. Any lower, and things would get really ugly.

Live well,

SJW
Old 06-04-2018, 09:47 PM
Space387
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

To clear things up tramlining is?

Is that the effect of following the trenches in the road set by wear and heavy vehicles? If so I never new there was a name for it. For what its worth I just put a new set of indy 500's on my car, 275-40/17 all 4 corners and I have less an issue with the ruts than my Firebird on 245-54/16 tires.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:04 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Space387
To clear things up tramlining is?

Is that the effect of following the trenches in the road set by wear and heavy vehicles? If so I never new there was a name for it. For what its worth I just put a new set of indy 500's on my car, 275-40/17 all 4 corners and I have less an issue with the ruts than my Firebird on 245-54/16 tires.
Yes, that's essentially what tramlining is. It's when the car's trajectory is affected by ruts as opposed to driver input.

I have no idea how much it might show up with square tire sizes compared to staggered widths, as my C4s have always worn staggered-width tires. But, I'd prefer to not see an increase.

Live well,

SJW

Last edited by SJW; 06-05-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:09 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

In the past (tire technology is changing A LOT though)

Staggered = Performance

Square = Gives the car a more planted feel

Now, advanced drivers will use a square and large set up on their cars for serious grip and handling.

IMO if you want it to feel like a cruiser put the 8.5's on.

275's - 315+ in front will have more contact patch and you will have to react to that contact area.

This might explain it better

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...e-wheel-setups

Last edited by pologreen1; 06-05-2018 at 01:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SJW (06-08-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 12:38 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Sorry for the delay. I was out for work training until this evening.
Originally Posted by SJW
What would be the ideal wheel widths for the tire sizes you suggested here?
245 tires fit well on 8.5" wheels, and 275s fit well on 9.5" wheels. Those are the widths Chevy used on various C4s, both with 56mm offset. Stay close to that (maybe 50mm for a slightly more aggressive/wide look while staying well inside the fenders) and you'll be good shape.
The following users liked this post:
SJW (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 07:36 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the great advice, and the link to the article, guys. I've been swamped this week, so haven't had a chance to wrap this up yet, but I'll get on it shortly.

Live well,

SJW

Get notified of new replies

To Baby needs new shoes. And new feet...

Quick Reply: Baby needs new shoes. And new feet...