Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New Proud Owner 1996 Coupe LT1, Burning Hot Torch Red

Old 06-04-2018, 10:03 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by RetroGuy
Ummm...that's really fuzzy math you used there...
Lol that may be true! It was a ball park and I'm not working w a full deck at the moment, in Brooklyn and have had a few drinks w high school friends I haven't seen in 20 yrs.

Btw just noticing ur in so cal? Where about? You may have to join us for a cruise!
Old 06-04-2018, 10:32 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 504 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by AgentEran
Lol that may be true! It was a ball park and I'm not working w a full deck at the moment, in Brooklyn and have had a few drinks w high school friends I haven't seen in 20 yrs.

Btw just noticing ur in so cal? Where about? You may have to join us for a cruise!
Orange County (The O.C.)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:41 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Orange County (The O.C.)
Not too far! There are a few of us here in the la area that meet up. I would be cool to all get together sometime!
Old 06-05-2018, 06:09 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 766 Likes on 703 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good looking, congrats!
Old 06-05-2018, 08:44 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by JBPC4

Are you serious? Are you really this rude in real life too? Guy comes on to show off his new Vette that he’s excited about, and the first thing you do is tell him that the exhaust (which he was excited enough about to list in the description) is a POS? What a nice guy, just being helpful right?

OP, the car looks great! Congrats! And magnaflow is a great brand, all products can have bad luck examples. Enjoy your new car!
The OP understood my statement for what it was: a warning. I have posted in the past about the POS quality of the SS Magnaflow system. if you had been a member of this forum for more than a week you might be aware of that fact. OP, I hope you have much better luck with your beautiful car than I have had with mine. RED is the RIGHT color.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 PM
C5 4me
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 143 Posts

Default Good job & welcome here

Congrats & Great Find!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:09 PM
JBPC4
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by johno504
The OP understood my statement for what it was: a warning. I have posted in the past about the POS quality of the SS Magnaflow system. if you had been a member of this forum for more than a week you might be aware of that fact. OP, I hope you have much better luck with your beautiful car than I have had with mine. RED is the RIGHT color.
Nah man, honestly there’s no good excuse. Rude is just rude.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:57 AM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by johno504
Old 06-06-2018, 10:18 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Default It Died On Me!!!!

I was showing off my new Vette over the weekend. Light driving and a few fast accelerations from a moving start. It ran perfect for two days. Then without warning, while idling at a stop light it quietly turned off. I started it after a couple tries and it ran rough but smoothed out. I made it about a mile and pulled into a parking lot to check it out. It died again while I was rolling about 5 or 6mph. Then it wouldn't start at all, and sounded way out of wack/timing when I tried to start it. Had it towed to a good independent repair shop nearby. It was the Opti-Spark distributor! I'm currently having it replaced, along with a new water pump and serpentine belt (which appeared old). CRAP Load of $$$. At least I'm getting this failed part out of the way on my car that has just under 65,000 miles on it. The mechanic looked over the engine and stated it was in great condition other than the failed opti-spark. I feel like a home owner who just spent $$$ to upgrade his kitchen. It'll be worth it in the long run...

Last edited by RetroGuy; 06-06-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:28 PM
mic575
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I was showing off my new Vette over the weekend. Light driving and a few fast accelerations from a moving start. It ran perfect for two days. Then without warning, while idling at a stop light it quietly turned off. I started it after a couple tries and it ran rough but smoothed out. I made it about a mile and pulled into a parking lot to check it out. It died again while I was rolling about 5 or 6mph. Then it wouldn't start at all, and sounded way out of wack/timing when I tried to start it. Had it towed to a good independent repair shop nearby. It was the Opti-Spark distributor! I'm currently having it replaced, along with a new water pump and serpentine belt (which appeared old). CRAP Load of $$$. At least I'm getting this failed part out of the way on my car that has just under 65,000 miles on it. The mechanic looked over the engine and stated it was in great condition other than the failed opti-spark. I feel like a home owner who just spent $$$ to upgrade his kitchen. It'll be worth it in the long run...

Wondering how much this cost you? I am still trying to decide between a C4 and C5. I like the C4 appearance better but wondering if it will cause me to spend more time fixing it than driving it.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:29 PM
BBNJKen
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd recommend asking mechanic about doing the w/p weep hole mod( adding hose fitting and hose to ensure if w/p takes a dump, its not on new OPTI. What brand OPTI are you getting?

Congrats on the car, looks sweet.

Enjoy

Last edited by BBNJKen; 06-06-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:49 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Originally Posted by mic575
Wondering how much this cost you? I am still trying to decide between a C4 and C5. I like the C4 appearance better but wondering if it will cause me to spend more time fixing it than driving it.
Man I hate when this happens to new c4 owners.. It really does suck.
That said im curious about how much the service was myself. It seems daunting but its really not that hard to do your self.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:05 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Default Cost$$$

Originally Posted by AgentEran
Man I hate when this happens to new c4 owners.. It really does suck.
That said im curious about how much the service was myself. It seems daunting but its really not that hard to do your self.
I was told the max it will be is $2,000 for the new water pump, Opti-Spark, and serpentine belt. I'm hoping to get a little discount if I pay in cash
Old 06-06-2018, 10:16 PM
mic575
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I was told the max it will be is $2,000 for the new water pump, Opti-Spark, and serpentine belt. I'm hoping to get a little discount if I pay in cash
Hopefully thats it for a good long time. You will have fun with that car!
Old 06-15-2018, 01:45 AM
CaptainMerricka
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn wish I could tint mine like that
Old 06-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Vaporboy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti and general reliability

I've owned my '92 since 2002 drive roughly 5000/yr in the summer seasons. It really has been a very reliable car, the only parts replaced in the 50,000 miles I've put on it are plug wires, and of course the opti which went after a hose blew coolant all over the place and the water pump did the rest. That's been about it so far, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a looked after C4 to any new prospective owners. I get the A/C recharged once a year as it does seem to lose refridgerant slowly but thats probably because we switched to the new stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Proud Owner 1996 Coupe LT1, Burning Hot Torch Red