Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

The C4 don't get any respect

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 10:45 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

I'll tell you why the C4 garners so little respect: lack of factory horsepower.
Until the ZR-1 came out, 250 horsepower was the max for a C4. Even the C2's could be had with more advertised power than that. (and advertised power is what creates legends and sells sports cars).
C2's you could buy right off the dealer's showroom floor with 425hp. C3's could be ordered with 465hp (all advertised). Not counting the ZR-1, what's the most factory horsepower you could get in a C4? That's right, 330.
That doesn't produce icons, guys. The C4's are excellent sports cars, as we all know, but they are't the fastest things on the road and never have been.
That's why they aren't lusted after today, decades after production has ceased.

Last edited by rocco16; 06-09-2018 at 10:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rayrider7 (06-12-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 10:45 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
With all do respect, do you drive one because you love it or because you cant afford a new or newer vette? Im just curious.. I guess what Im saying, if you just had your choice.. and money was no factor, on purchase OR even on resale.. which would you hop into? I know Id hop into a new vette just for the power. Id be embarrassed I think about how they look.. too flashy.. its the "look at me!" factor.

Not trying to cause trouble.. Im just curious.
I can afford a newer Vette no problem. I just don't like the C7.
C6 Z06 is what I like the most. I bought a C4 because Ive always wanted one since I was a kid. It's the car I fell in love with as a kid .
Old 06-09-2018, 10:59 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco16
Until the ZR-1 came out, 250 horsepower was the max for a C4. Even the C2's could be had with more advertised power than that. (and advertised power is what creates legends and sells sports cars).
C2's you could buy right off the dealer's showroom floor with 425hp. C3's could be ordered with 465hp (all advertised). Not counting the ZR-1, what's the most factory horsepower you could get in a C4? That's right, 330.
That doesn't produce icons, guys. The C4's are excellent sports cars, as we all know, but they are't the fastest things on the road and never have been.
But look at sports cars of the same time period. They all made the same power, if not, vettes were making more. And just like always, the Corvette has always competed with, or beat the best performance cars. Straight line and a track.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:59 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

I love how nobody gives a crap about who likes their C4 and who doesnt.... I bet if you had to tool around everywhere in a rusted out Pacer you give a crap what people thought of you.... cause youd be embarrassed. I dont think anyone is embarrassed driving a C4 Corvette of any year....

Damn near every one of you takes the time to keep our cars looking in top condition.... youre all gonna tell me thats because you dont care who looks at it and what anyones opinion of your car is.... Riiiiight....
The following 8 users liked this post by 81c3:
1993C4LT1 (06-09-2018), DaleDawg (06-12-2018), FOURSPEEDVETTE (06-10-2018), IHBD (06-13-2018), MaineJim (07-14-2019), Not4spd (06-10-2018), v8vette84 (06-10-2018), xrav22 (06-10-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:18 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

With all do respect, do you drive one because you love it or because you cant afford a new or newer vette? Im just curious.. I guess what Im saying, if you just had your choice.. and money was no factor, on purchase OR even on resale.. which would you hop into? I know Id hop into a new vette just for the power. Id be embarrassed I think about how they look.. too flashy.. its the "look at me!" factor.

I can afford to buy a clean C5, if mine sold. You bet your azz I love them, C4s. I grew up around Corvettes since birth, literally. I've driven C4-C7. I had the same big smile on my face as when i drive my z07 ruby, vs when i drive my dad's z07 c7 gs. Love the fact that no one around has a clean C4, I do Everyone here has a C5 and up. C4s size, and interior(90-96) is perfect to me. Am I saying it's world class interior? Hell no. But it's cool as fck. Here are some pics of some clean azz C4s. With all that said, I can definitely see myself buying a z07 gs in the future. But I'll have a C4 right beside it.

Mine

Showing my C4 appreciation
Old 06-10-2018, 01:14 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

When people do this to a C4, they dont need encouragement, especially from us.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:21 AM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I drive around with HD station KROQ HD2 , and it is only 80's, think that is fun=yes.
If I want luxury I have the Range Rover P38 with 10 speakers. I do like c5 though.
They played Ministry , Effigy, brought me back!

Last edited by xrav22; 06-10-2018 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:39 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by v8vette84
Are you serious?

I only said it feels good when someone appreciates your car. I never said I needed it?

You act like you don't care AT ALL if someone appreciates your stuff and I don't buy that at all...

Sounds like someone is salty about something...
Yep.

Not here, it doesn't.

I don't feel good about myself when the crack ***** says she'd like to bed me. OTOH, I would feel good if the supermodel says the same thing. Point is, the admiration of Brittany Force likes what I did to the car, sure. Some guy off the street who doesn't know much? Nope. More irritating than if he kept quiet.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:41 AM
aklim
Team Owner

If money were no object? https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...e-photos-info/
Old 06-10-2018, 02:45 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
But look at sports cars of the same time period. They all made the same power, if not, vettes were making more. And just like always, the Corvette has always competed with, or beat the best performance cars. Straight line and a track.
Al Bundy. Former star running back of Polk High, current shoe salesman at Gary's Shoes and Accessories for Today's Woman. At it's debut, it was the 2nd coming. Not anymore today.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:24 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

roccos got a point.

The icon/collectible cars are known from the second they come out.
GNX, ZR1- Callaway etc. Dont expect a 4-5k car to all of a sudden go nuts on price.
There has to be a demand & there just isnt any.
Its a great bang for the buck, cheaper than a camaro
Old 06-10-2018, 09:12 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
I love how nobody gives a crap about who likes their C4 and who doesnt.... I bet if you had to tool around everywhere in a rusted out Pacer you give a crap what people thought of you.... cause youd be embarrassed. I dont think anyone is embarrassed driving a C4 Corvette of any year....

Damn near every one of you takes the time to keep our cars looking in top condition.... youre all gonna tell me thats because you dont care who looks at it and what anyones opinion of your car is.... Riiiiight....
Well, you found him. My daily driver for the last 15+ years has a been a '95 jeep Cherokee orvis. Rockers are GONE, suspension is shot, s way bars bolts are broke, bad head gasket, leaky radiator, (fixed by a bottle of flakes)uses oil if I don't put in the engine honey, rims look flaky, and I don't wash it, nature does. I have no idea how the rest of the body and paint are actually so good, but either the color or the paint/ clear they used is incredible strong. IDGAS what people think, actually people ask about it all the time and can't believe I have spent 1600 in parts and labor in 15+ years to drive a vehicle. Tires, brakes, muffler, heater box fan, 2 sway bar bolts (that broke again and remain broken)

The c4 is green, black parts, used seats that show wear in the driver seat, unfinished hood scoop, not polished in the engine bay, headers are TPIS with welds on them, coating not shiny, etc. You get the point.

Honestly I don't care enough to do something about it, but sometimes I think "well I should clean it up", it is the way the car is. As I always tell people... :it's not a show car" People like it for other reasons, most more than I do to be honest.

Been asked for months by many to show it a car show today, I think I spent 10-20 minutes trying to clean, not polish the exhaust and say F this 2 weeks ago.

I just don't get off on polishing it. In fact I have primer on it now (getting fixed when some other parts get painted), I scratched the front bumper, if this was a viper or new car I would have **** a brick. I like that I can be at a lower level of upset when things happen to the c4.

The old saying "that is why we don't have nice things" applies to me.

I agree though, most do and should care about the pride they take in their cars here.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The LT1 from 92 to 96 was rated at 300hp. Using the old ratings it's still more powerful than the old LT1 of 1970 that was rated 370hp. The LT1 with a performance axle is not slow, even by today's standards.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:02 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

I agree.. 300hp is nothing to get excited about. I cant even bust my tires loose from a dead stop in my automatic version. Granted they are new and sticky but should be easy. When I had dry rotted stuff on I could.. wish I had my dry rotted tires now.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:29 AM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Yep.

Not here, it doesn't.

I don't feel good about myself when the crack ***** says she'd like to bed me. OTOH, I would feel good if the supermodel says the same thing. Point is, the admiration of Brittany Force likes what I did to the car, sure. Some guy off the street who doesn't know much? Nope. More irritating than if he kept quiet.
Well there you go. Does the admiration of brittany force pay your bills? no... Nice try...

You sound like a real nice person. You claim you don't like some guy off the street coming over and chatting about your car. Maybe you should just drive a camry?
Old 06-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
I hear that and do the same at most lights...
When they were still available I was tempted to get one of those outside mirror stickers "Objects in mirror are losing"...

I'll give you one. PM'ed you
Old 06-10-2018, 11:05 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

The C4's are excellent sports cars, as we all know, but they are't the fastest things on the road and never have been.
That's not true. They certainly WERE among the fastest things on the road, at various times, starting with the '84.

1984 CORVETTE From the article:
"Item: It is hands-down the fastest American automobile.... In fact, these figures qualify the Corvette as one of the half-dozen fastest production automobiles in the entire world!"

'85 TOP SPEED From the article:
"The 1985 Corvette will go 150 miles per hour. Think about that. Three or four years ago, American enthusiasts were wondering if the American performance car was dead forever. Now we find ourselves able to buy an American car that will run with the best in the world"

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 06-10-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To The C4 don't get any respect

Old 06-10-2018, 11:15 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

With all do respect, do you drive one because you love it or because you cant afford a new or newer vette? *... Im just curious.
FOR ME, my friend Bob Gillig said, who at the time had a C6 for his DD, "The ZR-1 is in my will. The C6 I'll keep until its used up and get something else".
Old 06-10-2018, 11:18 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by v8vette84
Well there you go. Does the admiration of brittany force pay your bills? no... Nice try...

You sound like a real nice person. You claim you don't like some guy off the street coming over and chatting about your car. Maybe you should just drive a camry?
She happens to be in a position to validate some of the work. Also she looks cute.

I do not. All they can do is say it looks good, fast or whatever. They can't give advice on what to do next.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:35 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3

just realized you are right. I do give a crap, I take back what I said. In fact, Im extra careful to see who notices. I do get thumbs up and waves though. i think people appreciate a well kept not ricered up c4. the ones that are painted satin black with a stripe and maybe a silly wing actually give c4's a bad name. Sorry to those who painted satin black... but satin black is a hot rodder fad and it should go away soon I hope.. its cheap way to paint an old pickup.. but should be limited to old pickups.

I see BRAND new camaros painted satin black.. OMG... in 2 years its going to look like a total POS.

Last edited by barchetta1; 06-10-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: The C4 don't get any respect