C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

My 85 let me down yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 02:48 PM
J W Drew
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Default My 85 let me down yesterday.

Went to the store, parked and everything was fine. Came back out, started the car, pulled out and as I was creeping through the parking lot the engine died. Tried to restart and it started but tried to give it gas and it died. Found out if I feathered the throttle and got up some RPM's the car would stay running but could hear backfiring. Limped back home by trying to keep the RPM's up, around 2000 RPM's still hearing backfire. Got home (about 3 miles) and it died as I pulled in the driveway. I'm thinking Fuel Pump however, noticed the temp rose to 235 and the main fan was not on. Normally comes on at 207 and shuts off at 197. So now I'm thinking ECM. Went out this morning and the car started right up but would die after giving it some throttle. What do you guys think? Also no codes shown on the dash screen.

Last edited by J W Drew; 06-21-2018 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Adding info.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:29 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by J W Drew
Went to the store, parked and everything was fine. Came back out, started the car, pulled out and as I was creeping through the parking lot the engine died. Tried to restart and it started but tried to give it gas and it died. Found out if I feathered the throttle and got up some RPM's the car would stay running but could hear backfiring. Limped back home by trying to keep the RPM's up, around 2000 RPM's still hearing backfire. Got home (about 3 miles) and it died as I pulled in the driveway. I'm thinking Fuel Pump however, noticed the temp rose to 235 and the main fan was not on. Normally comes on at 207 and shuts off at 197. So now I'm thinking ECM. Went out this morning and the car started right up but would die after giving it some throttle. What do you guys think? Also no codes shown on the dash screen.
Fuel, air spark.

Does it have fuel pressure when it dies? Easy to check, and a good place to start.
The following users liked this post:
J W Drew (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 03:44 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Try unplugging the MAP and see if it improves
Old 06-21-2018, 04:00 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Do you mean MAF? 85 doesn't have MAP, unless he converted.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:13 PM
J W Drew
Racer

Originally Posted by TheBlaster9001
Did Not convert.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:15 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Did Not convert.
Ok. Still may be worth starting with the MAF (mass air flow sensor) disconnected, since that is easy to do. Fuel pressure check after, perhaps.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:58 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

yes

Old 06-21-2018, 07:33 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

hey cruisin, did my old radio work ok???
Old 06-21-2018, 11:11 PM
J W Drew
Racer

Still doesn't address the fan not coming on.
Thanks,
JW
Old 06-21-2018, 11:42 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Still doesn't address the fan not coming on.
Thanks,
JW
My guess on the fans is because the fan isn't kicked on by the temp shown your dash. IIRC, the sensor under the intake is used for the fans, in the head is the dash. The two sensors don't always read the same - my datalogs show that. Often, the dash temp is higher than the temp used to control the fans.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:13 PM
J W Drew
Racer

Where exactly is the MAF located. A pic would be helpful.
Thanks,
JW
Old 06-22-2018, 12:36 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Where exactly is the MAF located. A pic would be helpful.
Thanks,
JW
Right behind the air filter assembly. The plug should be underneath the unit, from the direction shown in the image.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:42 PM
J W Drew
Racer

Right behind the air filter assembly. The plug should be underneath the unit, from the direction shown in the image.
Thanks a lot. Sure helps. Not sure if the MAF is the problem but it's a place to start.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:51 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Thanks a lot. Sure helps. Not sure if the MAF is the problem but it's a place to start.
It runs better with it off? While that could be a bad MAF, when you unplug it, the car goes into a 'fallback' mode of sorts, where it guess a baseline for how it should run.

So if it runs better with it off, then we can assume fuel pressure, spark, and air are all working right - just in the wrong amounts. The MAF is indeed a place to start.
The following users liked this post:
J W Drew (06-22-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 08:13 PM
J W Drew
Racer

So, if you recall, last Wed. my 85 started backfiring and would not run unless I kept the RPM's up. Limped it home and noticed that it would start but would die after giving it throttle. Also noticed the temp. was up to 235 and the fan was not running (normally comes on at 208). Today, I started the car and all seamed well. Idled fine, gave it throttle and it came up and ran fine. Also let it idle and the fan came on at 208 as it normally does. Didn't take it for a drive for fear of breaking down again. Noticed that it did throw a code as "check engine soon" is on when I turn the key on but goes off after it starts. Will have the code checked next week but was wondering what you think based on the info I gave you so far.
Thanks,
JW
Old 06-24-2018, 07:20 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

So, if you recall, last Wed. my 85 started backfiring and would not run unless I kept the RPM's up. Limped it home and noticed that it would start but would die after giving it throttle. Also noticed the temp. was up to 235 and the fan was not running (normally comes on at 208). Today, I started the car and all seamed well. Idled fine, gave it throttle and it came up and ran fine. Also let it idle and the fan came on at 208 as it normally does. Didn't take it for a drive for fear of breaking down again. Noticed that it did throw a code as "check engine soon" is on when I turn the key on but goes off after it starts. Will have the code checked next week but was wondering what you think based on the info I gave you so far.
Thanks,
JW
jump pins a and b on your ALDL...count the flashes....each is three times....12 three times , then your codes, each three times....ends with 12 three times....

Get notified of new replies

To My 85 let me down yesterday.

Quick Reply: My 85 let me down yesterday.