C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

The C4 don't get any respect

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 01:04 AM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
I wonder if the 69 camaro went through these same phases? Anyone know?
I remember for years all the older muscle cars being unloved. Few had any concept of the older cars being collectible back in the day. I had a neighbor back in the early 70's that liked the 1955 to 1957 T-birds and I remember him telling me he was going to look at one that was being sold for $3500.00 and he figured he could buy it for around $3K and he did-it was a very nice car.

Keep in mind that most figured a 1950's and 1960's car was used up when they got close to 100 thousand miles and in reality they were pretty worn out by then so most at that point were sold cheap to teenagers who either jacked them up in the back or lowered them. I remember how many big V8 cars were sold cheap during the oil embargo or wrapped around a tree because they handled like crap with the old poly ply tires.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:23 AM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
Oh, back in the day there were thousands of clapped out muscle and pony cars on the road. Banged up and rusting away before they were 10 years old. Then the baby boomers started buying and fixing them up like they would have if they had money when they owned them. C4 has character from its no way to enter or exit with any elegance, Spinning headlights, and video game inspired dash. I caught a little hell with some of the" tuners" I worked with, because the 2.59 made it a dog. That changed when i installed a 3.73. I understand why GM installed the 2.59, but the car is so much better without it.
I have to agree with you here about the 2.59.. Ive had 3:45 ratio before and ive gotten really used to the 4:10s I have now. The 96 auto I picked up recently has the 2.59 and I really dont get why they had this option?! its quite horrible imo. And whats worse is it costs, at least me, about 2k to have the dana rebuilt and gears swapped

Having 3.45, 3.73 or even 3.90 would really wake that car up.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
The icon/collectible cars are known from the second they come out. GNX, ZR1- Callaway etc. Dont expect a 4-5k car to all of a sudden go nuts on price.There has to be a demand & there just isnt any. Its a great bang for the buck, cheaper than a camaro
Very true.
Another reason the C4 didn't inspire shock and awe is styling. The C3 was over the top. The C2 was a spaceship in its day. Even the C1, mild by today's standards, was avante' gard in the fifties..
The C4, in comparison, was bland (even though many, myself included, consider it handsome).
The C5 started, slowly, to come back to icon status, style-wise, and the C6 and C7 ramped that up measurably.
All in all, both in power and in styling, the C4's were not noteworthy among Corvettes. That's why they didn't inspire lust when they were new and don't inspire lust today, generally speaking.
The cars that have high collector value inspired lust when new, and that carries over.

Last edited by rocco16; 06-11-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:09 AM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco16
Very true.
Another reason the C4 didn't inspire shock and awe is styling. The C3 was over the top. The C2 was a spaceship in its day. Even the C1, mild by today's standards, was avante' gard in the fifties..
The C4, in comparison, was bland (even though many, myself included, consider it handsome).
The C5 started, slowly, to come back to icon status, style-wise, and the C6 and C7 ramped that up measurably.
All in all, both in power and in styling, the C4's were not noteworthy among Corvettes. That's why they didn't inspire lust when they were new and don't inspire lust today, generally speaking.
The cars that have high collector value inspired lust when new, and that carries over.

I disagree that the C4 was "bland" when it came out. By today's standards sure but when it came out it was a "spaceship". Every magazine of the time raved about its looks. I wasn't born yet when the 84' came out but I have read the old articles about it. The 84' had every bit of "shock and awe" when it first came out as every other gen. The only difference now it that cars are getting so "busy" with their vents and black trim pieces and scoops, etc. it makes the C4 look "bland" by comparison.
The following users liked this post:
jon1all (03-08-2020)
Old 06-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by v8vette84
I disagree that the C4 was "bland" when it came out. By today's standards sure but when it came out it was a "spaceship". Every magazine of the time raved about its looks. I wasn't born yet when the 84' came out but I have read the old articles about it. The 84' had every bit of "shock and awe" when it first came out as every other gen.
I totally . The '84 was virtually space ship, in '83/'84. It was a fighter jet, for the street. Furthermore, it was an outright extrovert in every conceivable way.
v8vette84 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 09:37 AM
barchetta1
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Very true.
Completely wrong in my opinion; all of it including the comment about the c5. Sorry.. just my opinion and didnt want to retype it all.

The reason the c4 is not going up in value: No rust so no real attrition like a steel car. Same thing happened to the c3.. just now chrome bumpers are on the upswing. c4's need to become scarce. They sit in garages and arent crashed. Just look at how many garage queens are on the market. Hell $12k will buy you one with less than 25k miles for crying out loud.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:09 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Very true.

The C4 ZR-1 was the car that turned around the performance corner for Corvettes and brought them back to a world class sports car.

I suggest you go do some homework on Corvette history.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:29 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTAZU
The C4 ZR-1 was the car that turned around the performance corner for Corvettes and brought them back to a world class sports car.

The only C4 dad liked was the ZR-1 and grand sport. He was in high school in 84 and said he was never thrilled about it. It has grown on him now but he always liked the 3rd gens and fox bodys better.

That being said the C4 was the safe body style. Some of the prototypes were strange to say the least. Heck take a look at the 82 vettes. By then the change from C3 to C4 wasn't that drastic when compared to a chrome bumper to the C4. The poor C3 got mutilated towards the end with the body kits.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:01 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

While were on the C4 subject, how about what the C4 challenge cars did to the racing world...kicked out because they were to good. The C4 suspension alone was a leap ahead in technology starting with the 84.

These are just a few gains the C4 had, all lead to the advances of the later C5-C6 generation.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:03 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

A lot of use of the past tense in the past. History is fun but realize that it is in the past. Top dog today best enjoy his/her day in the sunshine That day will be over sometime. When the day is past, it's past. Stop trying to live in the past
Old 06-11-2018, 12:05 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
That being said the C4 was the safe body style. .
Say what?!? It was very radical for the time, I was in High School myself and I and every other friend drooled over the C4 when it came out!

And if anything the C4 defined the modern day sports car while saving the Corvette brand...if the C4 didn't sell well then GM was going to retire the model (or put it on hiatus that the Camaro suffered from) as they were suffering with mediocre C3 sales.

Respect or no respect, it's history in continuing the Corvette line and defining today's' sports car can't be denied.

Last edited by bac22; 06-11-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:38 PM
cohoskip
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by barchetta1
my 2.58 rear and is killing me!

Cant wait to go to a 3.? rear end!
My 86 has a 3.07
Old 06-11-2018, 12:40 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

And as I pointed out in post 57, the '84 was also the car that turned around the performance corner for Corvettes and brought them back to a world class sports car. People have a hard time remembering what cars were like back then, but C&D GUSHED OVER THE '84...in '84.

In reality, the introduction of virtually every Corvette generation has been "the car that turned around the performance corner for Corvettes and brought them back to a world class sports car."

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 06-11-2018 at 12:53 PM.
1993C4LT1 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 12:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bac22
Say what?!? It was very radical for the time, I was in High School myself and I and every other friend drooled over the C4 when it came out!

And if anything the C4 defined the modern day sports car while saving the Corvette brand...if the C4 didn't sell well then GM was going to retire the model (or put it on hiatus that the Camaro suffered from) as they were suffering with mediocre C3 sales.

Respect or no respect, it's history in continuing the Corvette line and defining today's' sports car can't be denied.
Yes, it's history no argument there. But the question is "What have you done for me LATELY?"
Old 06-11-2018, 12:42 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
And as I pointed out in post 57, the '84 also the car that turned around the performance corner for Corvettes and brought them back to a world class sports car. People have a hard time remembering that cars were like back then, but C&D GUSHED OVER THE '84...in '84.

In reality, the introduction of virtually every Corvette generation has been "the car that turned around the performance corner for Corvettes and brought them back to a world class sports car."
Yes because it was the hot kid of THAT Era. That was the time to strut your stuff. That time has passed. The torch has long left that time's hands.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:53 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by aklim
A lot of use of the past tense in the past. History is fun but realize that it is in the past. Top dog today best enjoy his/her day in the sunshine That day will be over sometime. When the day is past, it's past. Stop trying to live in the past

WOW read what I posted, not arguing about what is better in newer cars as they are by far superior to past cars and should be!! History is what leads to advances.

You missed the point, countering what rocco16 posted..... That is all.

Very true.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:54 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Id say the torch is still shining bright on this ole C4.... I dont care what the C7 can do.... this car is timeless and is outstanding over any newer Vette imho...
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by 81c3:
1993C4LT1 (06-11-2018), CVG323 (06-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To The C4 don't get any respect

Old 06-11-2018, 12:56 PM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by bac22

Also Corvettes were a more of a stand-alone American sportscar back in the’80s. Nowadays, everything is fast and Corvettes have a lot more competition. I bought my ‘86 mostly for the nostalgia, not because I couldn’t afford newer or faster cars. If I get tired of it, I’ll just sell it and move on as I did with the ‘80 Corvette I used to own.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:03 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by aklim
Yes because it was the hot kid of THAT Era. That was the time to strut your stuff. That time has passed. The torch has long left that time's hands.
Uh. Right. We WERE talking about the car in the context of "THAT Era". Right? The clue was in the text; "the car that turned around the performance corner for Corvettes..."

^That is talking about the era when the car came out. Not sure who said anything about an '84 vs. a C7. I don't believe that I did. If I did, please quote where I said something like that, so that I can fix it.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:11 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

It is funny how we all are so used to progressing so fast and having things be the "new" "Bigger" "Better" item, that we lose all relationship to what something was when it was the newest latest and greatest.

70's Fake gas crisis was to import cheap economic cars and trade with other Countries, which drove up the interest in old glory days cars, and the fact that the C5 came out and then offered the Z06 and people bought them like nuts showed that consumers will pay more for more.

Youtube has shared the experience of high HP cars and that has raised the bar and interest level for everybody and seems like everybody wants to be the guy with the cool car these days, when in the old days a few had them.

I can say I drove an '88 vette and an"88 mustang in the mid '90s and the vette felt like a super car compared to the GT, in all ways.

Last edited by pologreen1; 06-11-2018 at 01:13 PM.

Quick Reply: The C4 don't get any respect